Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Rota Fox vs Zuffenhaus vs Harvey Weidman

Opinions please, thoughts on the above fuchs replicas regarding quality of finish, similarity to original design (albeit 17" inch), price and service.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:43 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Vinyl Pimp

Well Harvey is well known for his refinishing work.....Zuffenhaus is the bomb for 17 inch Fuch replicas. Slow on delivery as is Rota.....
www.nbdgraphics.com ** also on FaceBook, there are NO BAD DAYS!
WORLDWIDE SHIPPING AVAILABLE!!!!!
Old 05-02-2011, 05:46 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I got rsr finish rotas in about a week from wheeldude.com last summer. Heavier at 17" and 7.5" & 9", lotsa rubber the car handles better and they look awesome too!
Old 05-02-2011, 06:14 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Mickey, what did they cost ? If u don't me asking
Old 05-02-2011, 06:30 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Quick synopsis:

Rota: one piece, cast aluminum, comes in set sizing (not custom--but as long as they make the size you want, what difference does that make?), slightly heavier, a set runs about $1200 IIRC. While some have made a big deal about the fact that Rota's are gravity cast, I haven't heard of any failures of the wheel from hard (i.e. track) use. If they're in stock (these are mass produced in the the Phillipines?) you can get them right away. If not, you have to wait until the boat comes over with another container.

Zuffenhaus: three-piece forged aluminum, custom sizing (i.e. backspacing/offset/width), very light (my 17x9s weigh 17 lbs, and the 17x11 17.8 lbs per my bathroom scale), but about 3x the cost of the Rotas. They're individually-made by Zuffenhaus and their sub-contractors. Wait time will try your patience, even if you're patient. Mr. Weidman does the paint/finish on the Zuff wheels; his work is top-notch. The contour of the Zuffenhaus outer rim barrel is a soft, rounded shoulder mimicking the original Fuchs wheels, whereas the Rotas have a harder and more square shoulder; that last bit's for the purists.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:47 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Bare in mind here I did the design work on the Zuffenhaus wheels in conjection with their input......

The Zuffenhaus wheel is 100% accurate scaled wheel. It is incredibly light weight and tested (independantly) at extreme loads. You can have it finished anyway you want and built to your specs. This is the wheel for someone who is interested in extremely accurate looks, light weight and three piece strength and repairability.

The Rota wheel is a good wheel with a completely different manufacturing process. I also supplied them with some data for offset and brake clearance while they were developing their product. This is the wheel for someone who wants a good looking 17 inch version of the classic fuchs that is not 100% accurate. Looks good and will funciton ok.

Harvey.... he refinishes factory wheels and widens 15 inch wheels to specs that are hard to find without going broke. He sets the standard for reproducing finishes that were available "in the day", He also can finish your new Zuffenhaus wheels any way you like.

All of the above can suffer from delivery time lapse, including Harvey, but you will good a great product in the end.

Cheers
Old 05-02-2011, 07:47 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

Garage
The Rota wheels are indeed a very good alternative to the more expensive constructed wheels. Weight is approximately 4 pounds heavier, however that is comparable to shaving a tire. Doing a cost analysis this is a favorable alternative. I have a set here in RSR finish that look suburb. Wonderful people to work with.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:57 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

You might as well include other fabricators of custom Fuchs wheels as you compare apples and oranges (forged versus cast).

There are several more, including:
Mirage International
Lindsey Racing
Stratton Motorsport
TrueDesign Wheels

Fuchs,Custom Wheels

Sherwood
(no affiliation)
Old 05-02-2011, 11:12 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Old 05-02-2011, 11:12 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: