Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Monkey with a mouse

Re: ST clone project available in SD, CA

Quote:
Originally posted by ttweed
If anyone is really interested in building one of these ST-look cars, Mark Kinninger at Black Forest here in San Diego has a project car for sale right now. It is a '72S roller with all the ST flares and bodywork done, in primer, and a '73S motor and transaxle (out of the car). All assembly, interior finish and topcoat painting remain to be done- a lot of work, to be sure- but the major pieces are all there. It is a sunroof car, however, and to be truly authentic you would want to do a roof clip- but then that's a good time to weld in a full cage, no?

Check the PCASDR classifieds at http://www.pcasd.org/store/classifieds.shtml
under "More Ads" (scroll down) for details

Mark is a great mechanic, a good driver and a nice guy. He supports several POC racers and does things right, as far as I have seen.

TT
Hi:

Mark ended up selling the motor and the roller separately.

I'll second your kind words about Mark!

I'm the lucky guy who bought his 3.2 MFI motor that will soon reside in my light and narrow '72.

Regards,

Kurt

P.S.: Black Forest has a nice, real ST in their shop now. I'll take some pics when I'm in there next week.
Old 03-21-2002, 03:51 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to 82SC
Man...I called a bunch of times hoping to split the car and motor...

maybe the un returned calls were because I was too late....DAMNIT!!!!!

any idea who bought the car...i would like to know if he is willing to let it go.....

MJ
Old 03-21-2002, 04:20 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Garage
ST flares

If the ST flares are no longer available in steel, an accomplished metal worker could fabricate them on an English wheel for less than the cost of importing them from Europe, I'm sure. I would talk to someone like Urs Gretener before shelling out big $$$ for the pieces.

TT
Old 03-22-2002, 09:44 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

any contact info of the above stated meteal worker??

MJ
Old 03-22-2002, 09:53 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

ST flares

TTweed,
I am with you on your thoughts. But, wouldn't you need a set of originals for the panel beater to go by. The ST flares are unique to ST cars. SC and RS flares are also unique to each other.
Old 03-22-2002, 10:14 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Garage
I have it on good authority (from a former Porsche motorsport and Gembella employee) that all 'ST' flares were made by hand and not just by one person, so no two 'ST' were ever identical.

Makes a lot of sense to me as the all look slightly different i.e some seem to have a bigger square lip on the wheel arch.

Cheers
Old 12-08-2002, 09:51 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Jack,

You've certainly elicited nice response from the R Gruppe gang on this one . It think the thirty or so guys before me have answered your question, however I will humbly offer one more tibbit. This car is well documented in ' The Speed Merchants ' (Michael Keyser, Bentley Publishing). This 911 was the camera car for much of the filming of the movie of the same name. There's a particularly cool photo of this car at the factory at the time when the fender flares are being fitted.

Anyway, I recommend the book. Check it out.

Cheers, Chris
Old 12-09-2002, 03:32 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Garage
I think this is it:

Old 12-09-2002, 04:01 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

check out the film Speed Merchants- Michael Keyser's 911ST car is the camera car that went on to be an imsa contender.
Old 12-09-2002, 05:54 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Fender flares being fitted at the factory...!!!
I just ordered the book from Bentley for tomorrow delivery!
Old 12-10-2002, 02:01 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

i saw an article in POC's Velocity about a panel beater here in Los Angeles...sounded like a real artisan...he was making a fuill body custom RSK for one customer...

I'll try to look up his info...

I do have a pair of RS rear flares...I was thinking of taking down to him and have him make them a little more ST when I do start that project...

MJ
Old 12-10-2002, 02:18 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

I was in germany last weekend, and have to agree with Steve W.
I saw 4 real ST's, and all the flares were a little differant. Much differant that SC flares.
Old 12-10-2002, 02:58 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

In the November Der Auspuff, the Santa Barbara PCA news letter, there was an article about a person in Ventura with the artistry and tools to do ST flares. I will attatch the article here.

No telephone # given though. i can try to dig up his # when I get home if someone would like it.
Old 12-10-2002, 03:06 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

One of the Keyser cars (73 RSR) has been raced almost continuously over the years, with several generations of bodywork. Mike came to an Alfa club meeting a few years ago and gave us a first-hand account. Those were the days . . .
Old 12-10-2002, 03:07 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Garage
A couple pictures from Brian Redman's Jefferson 500 in May. I forgot I had taken these until this thread popped up again. Didn't own a Porsche in May!

Old 12-12-2002, 12:45 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Urs Gretener is the guy that TTweed mentioned AND the guy who is talked about in the POC Velocity magazine article. He is located in Los Alamitos, California. His business is called Carrosserie Gretener and his phone number is (562)598-7102.

He did the flares on my RS look and when I showed up to pick up the car, I couldn't even tell where he had welded on the flares. There was no line and it was in bare metal. Any filling that needed to be done was done in lead. There was either an RS60 or 61 or RSK that he had done a complete re-body on next to my car. He had built all the wooden bucks off of the old body panels and had obtained copies of factory blueprints for that super rare car. He just quoted my buddy $2000 to create flared front fenders that are halfway between stock and RSR look.... he's not cheap, but would any of us really want to use him if he was?

He is one of the few body, metal work guys I've ever seen who is done with your car right on time. I'm very pleased with his work and with how easy he is to deal with.
Old 12-12-2002, 11:33 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)
Senior Registered User

Garage
Pounding metal

To add to this confusion. Most of old U.S. teams did ther own fender bendin', lip rollin', and pullin'. There must be hundreds of different ways to pop out a Porsche fender.

I think that Gary and Rod Emery would be able to build some really sweet steel front end parts.

I have been toying with the idea of re working my front fenders, having them pull the top of the wheel arch out about and inch and blend that down to nothing at the bottom of the fender so I can use the same front bumper.

Randy Jones
1971 911
Old 01-26-2003, 12:39 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)
Old 01-26-2003, 12:39 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: