Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 2.25 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Banned for Life

Garage
Once you become more comfortable here you will learn that it is not unusual for several board memebers to get together to work on a car. If you get stumped or need some extra hands, it never hurts to ask.
Rick S, '71 914 3.0, '82 911SC EFI, R Gruppe #309
Old 06-14-2011, 09:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)

Tweezers,
Everyone is calling for pictures which is mostly based on curiosity and sometimes envy. Adding pictures in a post on this BBS is not hard but not exactly obvious. (although much better than the early forum process) You need to respond via the "advanced" reply tab, upload the photo and attach to the reply. Let us know if you need help with this.
Welcome to the most helpful and comprehensive technical forum anywhere.
CL
'02 525i Sedan
Old 06-15-2011, 04:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

Garage
Welcome to Pelican.
Good luck with your project.
All you need to know is available right here.....ask away.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

Tweez, sounds like a plan. Yeah, better post pics now when it hasn't beaten you up so bad yet

Bob, no pic of your please, but here is a request for pics of your 3. When are you going to post them?
Old 06-15-2011, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeCleElum View Post
First post of a female and the hue and cry is for Pictures...........Me, 3,500 posts - Not one request for a pic of my 73.5, 69, or even my old '62 XKE.......Gonna cry........
I wouldn't mind seeing the XKE...
Old 06-15-2011, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Tweezer, we can tell you are not a guy, you want to READ the instructions BEFORE you take it apart!

That is almost cheating.

I think the thing that amazes me the most about this board is the wide spectrum of people that work on their own cars. I did a complete suspension refresh on my 85 Carrera that I would have never thought of doing on my own except I saw the threads on how other guys that are not professional mechanics did it.

When you see folks from all walks of life discuss how they managed to remove a ball joint or re-index the rear torsion bars it becomes a lot less scary. It does not matter if they are a ditch digger or a brain surgeon you will see the same support and camaraderie for them all. You will see some major disagreements and some hurt feeling but in the end it all works out.

Now get some photos posted
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 06-15-2011, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

The Tweeze

I didn't take it apart yet, Glen! So I guess I am kind of like a guy in the sense I plan to read the manual from cover to cover before I touch the car! Except to take pictures since it seems like everybody on this board is dying to see the car. I am going over to my mom's today (that is where it sits). I want to get it running first so I can get it over to my house so I can put it in my garage. But like I said, that is a while away... I have to read and learn the basics before I do anything. I don't want to damage the car. Been reading on this site. This is going to be a slow process but I know if I stay on this forum, you guys will kick my butt to keep working on it. So all of you guys will become my good friends over the years!!!

And glad to hear people work on their cars with each other. I need to hang out during some of those sessions so I can learn hands on. I can't work on the cars just yet but I am a mean cook and can supply food in trade of knowledge.

Just maybe, I will be able to post pics tonight!
Old 06-15-2011, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Well you need to check out the Other Topics part of Pelican. The proper garage food has been discussed:

Garage, man cave food?
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 06-15-2011, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)

Garage
OK, since I'm a pig, I'll be the first to ask....are you a Hottie?
Old 06-15-2011, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to GaryR
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweezers74 View Post
And glad to hear people work on their cars with each other. I need to hang out during some of those sessions so I can learn hands on. I can't work on the cars just yet but I am a mean cook and can supply food in trade of knowledge.

Just maybe, I will be able to post pics tonight!
Welcome! Looking forward to seeing the pictures and just ignore Joe Bob...
Old 06-15-2011, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

Location: behind the redwood curtain, (humboldt county) california
Garage
Welcome

Hi Tweez,

I am a relative newby here too but been playing with cars since i was 15, (a very longtime ago). Just got my fathers 74 up and running strong, (and NO leaks - yet)

A couple of random thoughts:
If your car is over at your mom's, you might consider getting it flatbedded over to your garage for some of the initial check out before firing it up. This would give you more time and shelter to start the process.

Clear a good size space around where you will be putting the car, get a fire extinguisher 5 pounder -for the shop. Set up some fluorescents and get a "drop" light, good jack stands a small floor jack a drain pan or two, put a paper towell holder on the wall. Set up a bench if you don't have one.
Get a metal trash can with a good fitting lid. Also another small trash can to put cheap kitty litter, (grease sweep).

You can get decent used coveralls at most napa stores, along with a box of latex gloves. Don't forget the safety glasses - something you feel comfortable in and maybe knee pads, good ones, if you are going to be working on the ground - they really help.

I have been on several forums and almost everyone agrees, get the fuel system safe. All too frequently,there are heatbreaking stories of disastrous fuel fires, often of older cars, infrequently used.Get rid of all of the old hoses. This is potentially a very hazardous bit of work,so you want to be prepared for it. Read the threads about it. They will often recommend that if the water heater or furnace is in the garage, turn themoff, including the pilot lights. It is almost impossible to change the lines without spilling a bit of gas and it is very easy to make a small mistake.

On another topic, you might want to familiarize yourself with the service history, either by going through all of the service receipts if you have them or by going to your dad's mechanic, if you can find him. You can spot any recurrent electrical glitches or find recommendations fo future work. Potentially very helpfull.

You can start from scratch, or you might consider asking a knowledgeable,local enthusiast to help you give the car a good once over, (what is called a pre purchase inspection in the trade). Fromthis you can make a list of things that need doing, order parts & tools and get ready for the work by reading the applicable forums.

You might take a look at pawn shops/craigs list or other places you might find used mechanicing stuff for a couple of tool boxes - a roll around bottom cabinet and a top box. Having even a modest tool assortment Organized will really help you enjoy the work. It gets really frustrating pawing through a box of greasy tools looking for your only 13mm deep socket. Napa has a lot of good socket and wrench organizers reasonably prices.

Take a look at someof the local enthusiast's garages and ask for their advice setting up yours.

Oh yeah, pics would help :-)
chris

Last edited by chrismorse; 06-15-2011 at 04:20 PM.. Reason: just had to stress getting the fuel lines, again.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)

Garage
Welcome to the forum!
83 SC Targa -- 3.2SS, GT2-108 Dougherty Cams, 9.5:1 JE Pistons, Supertec Studs, PMO ITB's, MS2 EFI, SSI's, Recurved Dizzy, MSD, Backdated Dansk Sport Stainless 2 in 1 out, Elephant Polybronze, Turbo Tie Rods, Bilstein HD's, Hollow 21-27 TBs, Optima Redtop 34R, Griffiths-ZIMS AC, Seine Shifter, Elephant Racing Oil Cooling.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Brb, reinstalling windows and graphics card. No pics showing.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)
French Import

Garage
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bob View Post
OK, since I'm a pig, I'll be the first to ask....are you a Hottie?
Yes I am, but I am happily married!
Thank you for asking though... I didn't know you cared...!

Happiness is not having a Porsche in the garage... Happiness is having a Porsche on the road!
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet, 2011 BMW 1200RT, 03 Saab 93 Cabriolet, 06 MB E350 Estate
Old 06-15-2011, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)

page 4 and still no pictures? geez! haha
Old 06-15-2011, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)

tweezer74,

It will be fun and useful to join PCA.
This will get you started: Arizona Region Porsche Club of America - Home Page

Having posted your location will allow other nearby Pelicans to PM contact you.
There are occasionally local ‘Gathering of the Flock’ of Pelicans to swap stories, eat and imbibe – all in the name of ‘Technical Sessions’ and such.
Yes, there is generally serious technical stuff.

Your PCA Region has some also.

Find a Driver’s Education event within your driving range and simply go, watch, listen and meet all the other Porsche nuts.
We are all doing the same thing: enjoying the cars and the people who also enjoy them.

I agree about ‘screen names’.
The internet is so searchable that your life can be an ‘open book’ if you connect your posts with your real name, email address, phone or street address.
There are computer programs that troll the net archiving this kind of info (which they sell).

I was already a ‘public name’ before Google.
If you search my name, you get me, my dad the author and editor/publisher and Mohamed Ali’s mom (Cassius Marcellus Clay (1810-1903) was my great - - - grandfather and the reason my friend Cassius changed from his ancestral ‘slave-name’.)

You are getting good advice about how to proceed.
Very carefully get it running, doing all the obvious and the ‘they all need….’
Safety is the primary concern, followed closely by having the 911 run and drive as intended new.
Only then, decide on the next steps.
You may or may not want to embark on a ‘restoration’ project.
Many 911s are enjoyed very well with some ‘experience’ patina.

Again, welcome.

Best,
Grady
Answers (correct) - - - - - - - - - - $12.50
Old 06-15-2011, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRACO A5OG View Post
Not the only female, there are others i.e. VroomGirl with her Alpine White Carrera Coupe. She D.E.'s too

.....SHAME ON YOU!!!!!!!

VroomGirl is my DE partner and we share the love of Grand Prix White Carreras.......

.........just sayin'

1987 Carrera, Grand Prix White, 2009 Carrera C4S, Meteor Grey Metallic
(X) [B] 2011 BMW X5[B]
'Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts'
Old 06-15-2011, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack6820 View Post
page 4 and still no pictures? geez! haha
Hoax?
Old 06-15-2011, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

Garage
Tweez,

Welcome to Porsche ownership and to the forum. Please post some pics and ask questions. We'll help you methodically go trough the mechanicals so that you can get your car driving.

1. Battery is likely shot but you never know. Remove it from the car and check for leaks. Check the electrolyte level and try to charge it. If you can afford it get an Optima gel battery and you'll no longer have to worry about acid spills and corrosion in the trunk. Check your wires and fuses. Make sure the insulation is not cracked and don't see any shorts/burns in the wiring. Don't forget the wiring under the dash and in the engine compartment. Replace any damaged wires. Before you test electrical functions, get a fire extinguisher. Halon is best for automotive use. Be sure to turn off everything and connect the battery. Make sure cables aren't getting hot and fuses not blowing. Now check the lights and switches but don't start the car. Turn the key to ignition but don't start the car. You should have a red generator light and a green oil light

2. Fuel system. Depending on what your dad did when he stored it, the fuel system may have some varnish or corrosion issues. Drain the gas and look carefully for sediment or rust. If it looks good you might be able to get by with cleaning the strainer and refilling the tank. Change the filters. FI or Carbs? If carburated, I'd rebuild the carbs. MFI is prone to clogging and malfunction from prolonged inoperation. There are several threads about this. Carefully inspect all rubber hoses. Check the vent hose for the tank and the engine hoses also I'd consider replacing all fuel hoses regardless of appearance as a single cracked hose can lead to a catastrophic engine fire.

3. Oil. Look at your oil level and condition. If the engine is full of clean oil you're lucky. In that case drain the oil and change the filter and fill with new oil. If the old oil is dirty or emulsified or rusty, I'd probably remove the oil tank and any lines and inspect and clean and flush the case. A lot has been posted about oil type/grades.

4. Look at your ignition. Change plugs and probably wires, rotor and cap. While you have plugs out see squirt a little oil in the cylinders and see if the engine turns freely. Most airport FBOs sell cylinder fogging oil for aircraft storage - makes it easy to lube the cylinders. If your dizzy has points change them. Check the rotor to see if the advance appears to be working properly. You'll be able to tell if it's frozen or not but you'll need to find someone with a Sun machine to actually check the advance curve.

5. Pull the valve covers and inspect the valvetrain components and lubricate with some oil. Adjust the valves and replace the gaskets.

6. Inspect your exhaust for rust through.

7. Now check the operation of your pedals. Check the gas pedal for binding and travel. Get a buddy to check look at the linkage in the engine compartment while you push the pedal. Now check the brake pedal for excess sideways play indication worn bushings. Now push the brake pedal - is it firm or does it sink to the floor? If it's mushy or sinks you'll likely need to rebuild the master cylinder or the calipers. If you have a firm pedal that's good - change the brake fluid and bleed the brakes until you get fresh fluid all around. When you bleed the wheels note the condition of the fluid you get out of each caliper. Check the clutch pedal for excess play. Sideways sloppiness indicate bad bushings. Pedal to the floor is either roll pin shear at the pedal cluster or cable failure. Clutch pedal free play should be about an inch. Now push the clutch to the floor - does it feel like it's working properly. If so have an assistant look at the bell housing while you push the clutch to be sure it's working properly. If you have any pedal issues, pull the carpet and wooden floorboard to inspect the pedal cluster.

8. Check the E-brake and shifter linkage. If the shifter is sloppy or you can't it into any gear, your shift bushing and coupler are like worn out. This is an easy fix and well worth it if you have any sloppiness in the shift.

9. Raise the car on a lift or jackstands. Be careful about lifting points and always use jackstand to avoid damage or injury. Now go to each wheel and check for free rotation. If any wheels are dragging or frozen you'll have to further inspect the rotors/caliper and bearings. Check for excess freeplay at the wheel bearings by grabbing the wheels at 3 and 9 oclock moving back and forth. Repeat at 12 and 6 oclock. Excess movement could be loose bearings or bad strut inserts. Make note of the condition of your suspension bushings, tie rod ends and spring plate bushings. While the car is on the lift change the fluid in the tranny. Again lots of opinions about oil. Before you lower the car check you tunnel bellows and your throttle connector. If you have the old still rubber connector change it for the new style as it will break on the highway in the middle of nowhere.

10. Don't start it yet. Pull the coil wire and see if it cranks with the key. Check your oil light and guage. If all sounds well and you have oil pressure, then you can try to start the engine.

11. You do this you will find lots of nit-noi things you want to restore or fix to original condition. This is a slippery slope with a 40+ year old car. Let's first get you driving and having some fun so you don't lose interest. After that we can work on the details.

12. Report your findings and post some pics. You are fortunate to live in Arizona as there are several Pelicans in the Valley of the Sun and many more in SoCal.

Bryan

Last edited by bfunke; 06-15-2011 at 06:40 PM..
Old 06-15-2011, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)

Garage
OFF WITH HER HEAD! Seriously, welcome to the forum, these miscreants are dangerous when you don't post pics so I would make haste and oblige them if I were you.
"the 930 is THE CAR that started my PORSCHE love affair..." Magnus Walker
Old 06-15-2011, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: