Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to GaryR
What are those belts attached to the tray under the rear window for?

Old 10-19-2011, 02:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #141 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyluke318 View Post
I wanted to point out the roof light for those who missed it. Can you tell us more about it?
Porsche used these roof lights for night events so their pit crews could identify them.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #142 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryR View Post
What are those belts attached to the tray under the rear window for?
Those are the driver and passenger harness. The "tray" is a replica of the factory rally tool boxes, that has been "tarted up" a bit

Here is a correct factory example, the elastic is functional but not very attractive.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #143 (permalink)

Garage
another couple of nice details in this car are the 7R wheels and correct period navigator map light
Old 10-19-2011, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #144 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Given the wonderful treatment TRE has given the car I would assume they have done some major reinforcement of the area those eye bolts are mounted (as that tray is nowhere strong enough by itself) but i'm surprised they mounted those belts there. Unless i'm off, that is that is way too far for belts to run (would not pass a track tech here). You really need to add a crossbar to that roll hoop if you are going to run anything but a stock 3-point belt setup and run those shoulder belts up and over at the angle specified by the mfg.. and that's only if the seats are slotted for a proper 5(or 6)-point harness. I personally would not run a 4 point harness at all, and any-point harness without a HANS and helmet on. The harnesses hold your body very well, giving the only movement to your head and neck, not good. Hate to see R-Girl hurt!

Love the car, just pointing out what looks to be a dangerous situation. Hopefully i'm wrong and just looking at it from the wrong angle..

The 68 has the harness attached at a single point, I went through the effort to locate two additional lugs and had them welded in, so there are double the attachments for a "H" configuration. The factory used the single lug, even in competition(the T/R), in a "Y" configuration. It may not be PCA legal but it is FIA legal. I also added new retractable 3 point seat belts to a car that never had them.

I feel fairly safe with the improvements, and so does Brandi, besides she thinks the helmet and HANS device would look a little funny when she goes to Starbucks.

Its not a track car

A 67 R using eye bolts in the same position

Last edited by super9064; 10-19-2011 at 06:53 PM..
Old 10-19-2011, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #145 (permalink)

I suppose it won't be long before someone jumps all over you for putting a roll bar in a street car ;-)

I love the rally theme and think that it came out fantastic. It has all the right bits to be exactly the car it is supposed to be (including the bar). I admire the vision and workmanship!
My 73RSR build http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/893954-saving-73-crusher-again.html
Old 10-20-2011, 03:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #146 (permalink)

Registered

[QUOTE=wayner;6320932]I suppose it won't be long before someone jumps all over you for putting a roll bar in a street car ;-)

Thanks glad you like it.

I'm afraid to even mention that the roll bar is Aluminum. Someone forgot to tell Porsche how unsafe it was.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #147 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieger View Post
If you want a safety-mobile, buy a GT3Cup.
I'll go see if I can sell that line of logic to the wife...
Old 10-20-2011, 08:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #148 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
I think we are all missing his point that it is a street car, as well.

Suspension by Rebel Racing, Serviced by TLG Auto, Brakes by PMB Performance
http://www.flickr.com/photos/max_911_fahrer/
Old 10-20-2011, 09:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #149 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieger View Post
I think we are all missing his point that it is a street car, as well.
Deleted all my safety rants, beautiful car and that's what the thread is about, sorry for the OT...
Old 10-21-2011, 02:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #150 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Deleted all my safety rants, beautiful car and that's what the thread is about, sorry for the OT...
Gary, all of your points are well taken, and thanks for your input. That is certainly the way to properly set up the car for the track, and that's how I prepared my race cars. Its good that this has been brought up so someone looking at this thread in the future does not think that its ok to set up their DE car the same way.

This car was built for R-GRuppe fun runs, Targa California, weekend rides.

The problem with old cars is a lack of safety, and its something that really does concern me. I have a 57 Speedster, lap belts, no headrests. My father said to me "I wouldn't put anyone I loved in that thing". That comment haunts me every time I take one of my kids for a ride. I find that I have to measure the risk/reward, and drive in a very defensive mode.

Gary, thanks again
Old 10-21-2011, 05:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #151 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
I guess what I was getting at is that there is not one single thing in an old car that when fixed would make it nice and safe. You would need a whole redesign. Even in a GT3Cup you cannot be 100% safe. You can never be 100% safe. So you do have to decide what is "good enough". That is a major part of engineering. Being able to make the most of limited resources and determine how much is good enough and why it is so.

And even if you are a careful driver you still cannot be safe from the other guy.

Suspension by Rebel Racing, Serviced by TLG Auto, Brakes by PMB Performance
http://www.flickr.com/photos/max_911_fahrer/
Old 10-21-2011, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #152 (permalink)

Garage
This is so good I don't know what to say. I wouldn't change a thing. Enjoy it in good health.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #153 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Lets see some more pics! Some of the car would be nice also...
Old 04-23-2012, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #154 (permalink)
Been here a while

how about some photos from your running the targa california with us, come on, Rob....

Cayman R Sportomatic and some other cars
Old 04-23-2012, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #155 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonett43 View Post
how about some photos from your running the targa california with us, come on, Rob....
Here goes. Brandi wasn't to happy when she saw these pics "how could you get my car that dirty"

A Custom tool bag cheered her up, and girls always like to have a matching purse.

Last edited by super9064; 05-21-2012 at 01:03 PM..
Old 04-23-2012, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #156 (permalink)
Registered Misfit

Garage
RGirl's car rocks

I have to say what a pleasure it was seeing this car in person and hanging out with Rob in Solvang early this month. It sure is good of Brandi to let you 'borrow' her car. We had a blast and the car looks and sounds awesome.

Looking forward to next time Rob... and hopefully seeing you too Brandi

911 hotrod -- 3.0L, lightened, abused with love
'74 914 bastard
Old 05-25-2012, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #157 (permalink)
Registered

This thread needs an update.

Old 05-12-2020, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #158 (permalink)
Registered

Photo credit Evan Klein

Old 05-12-2020, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #159 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Fantastic pics! Too bad we will miss the Targa this year. I have ran it the last two years. Really like your car! Dave is building an engine for my hot rod '71T.

Old 05-12-2020, 10:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #160 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
911r , r-gruppe