Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
996/997 Reliable????

So I have my toy and the wife is digging Porsche now. That is the good news. The not as good news is that she wants one too! A cabriolet at that. That sounds good, but if you work for a living, two Porsche 911's of any flavor might get the house foreclosed on!!

So, I like the 996 or 997 cars for her. Quick, comfortable, and easier to haul the 5 year old around in. It would be a 70% daily driver. I like to point out to the lay person that the entry price for a nice early 2000s 911 is roughly the same as a Honda . $25-$30k with around 50-75k miles. But how about the maint part? Most of what I have read and heard is that the newer Porsche's are pretty much service, much less expensive than a a 80's Carrera, Oil, and gas.

Is this actually true?

Thanks,

Mark

1986 930 Ultra-Smith RUF Slant Nose conversion, RUF VB, K-27 HF-S, B&B Headers and Exhaust, RUF Short Shifter, RUF Interior
Old 07-01-2011, 02:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I have a 997 C2S Cab. All I do is change the oil and put air is the tires. Perfect car

I also had a 996 and I constantly worried about the rear main seal and intermediate shaft failure.
R Gruppe Member #626
Old 07-01-2011, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Per a LONG time p car mech I know they are reliable as hammers, and engine failures are actually rare. I have a good friend who has one after an 88 Turbo and a 993 and his maintenance costs have plummeted. He loves the car.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I have a 2000 996 with the 3.4 liter engine that is used as my daily driver AND fun car. I also happen to have an '84 Carrera, for reference. The 996 has been one of the most, if not THE most reliable car I've owned - ever. It has 125,000 miles and counting, of which 88,000 miles have been driven by me over the past five years, including at least six track days. I recently had the clutch replaced, and while he was "in there", I had him replace the Rear Main Seal (RMS) along with the Intermediate shaft bearing and support flange (IMS) for the re-engineered LN Engineering version, which is considered bomb-proof, and which essentially eliminates the IMS failure potential - giving me peace of mind. By the way, when my mechanic looked at the old one, it was perfect - no signs of adverse wear. Fyi.

I had one alternator fail on me about four years ago, along with the Air/Oil (AOS), which I replaced on my own about six months ago. That item is considered a wear item, btw. The serpentine belt was replaced by me a couple of years ago - again, a normal periodic replacement item - and engine mounts have been replaced - super easy. Oil changes and brake pad replacement are stupid-easy to perform too.

The car has been robust, comfy, and FAST! I love it and will hang onto it for many more years.
2000 996 Carrera
1984 911 Carrera Cab
Old 07-01-2011, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

We had our 02 C4s (purchased used in 06) until a couple of months ago. The only expense outside normal service items was a new battery. PO did not use a maintainer and it got sulfated. I used a Battery Maintainer once a month for a couple of days and had no other problems. Crazy capable cars. Traded it in when our 11 GTS arrived. Only got $30k but I did not have to deal with selling it. GTS is more of everything the C4S was (except the front drive bit). Loving it.
Get one that has been driven regularly, with good records, or from someone you trust and enjoy it.
'11 GTS Amethyst
Old 07-01-2011, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Chain fence eating turbo

They are quite reliable cars. I owned one up to 102k miles. At about 85k miles is when I started to have to do a little repair here and there. I replaced 2 idlers pulleys, replaced the Air Oil Separator (a pain the arse to replace), and some other very minor stuff.

There is really only 1 thing that can completely destroy the engine and that is the Intermediate Shaft bearings. Of course, there was the early '99 issues with porous blocks and slipping cylinder sleeves but that more than likely has been addressed and fixed/replaced.

So, the best insurance on a 996/997 is to replace the IMS bearings with Jake Raby's IMS bearing retrofit kit. It is cheap insurance for this failure.

What the theory is, is the IMS bearing is a sealed unit which means it is not pressurized with engine oil or oil bathed so it 100% relies on the grease inside for lubrication. The belief is the seal fails enough to let the grease liberate but engine oil cannot make it's way back in causing the bearing to seize.

It (the IMS bearing) can be changed easily when the clutch is being changed for reference. It is behind the flywheel on the block.

If you replace that, I would trust the car no problem.

I'd like to add, many have replaced the IMS bearings at different mileages and many reported finding their factory IMS bearings were in perfect shape while maybe a few found theirs were probably on it's way out for another data point.
Cory - turbo'd '87 C3.2 Guards/Blk, 3.4, 7.5:1 CR P & C's, soon to be 993SS cams and GSXR 750 ITB's fed by 964 intake, Borg-Warner S366 turbo @ 1.4 bar, Treadstone full bay IC, TiAL F46 WG, HKS 1 1/2" BOV, twin 044 pumps, MegaSquirt 2 (v3.57 board) w/EDIS, Tramont wheels (285's rr, 225's frt), Big Reds frt, 993 rr., tower brace, MOMO wheel
Old 07-01-2011, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
GTS...Wow!! Lucky guy. Enjoy that beauty.

2000 996 Carrera
1984 911 Carrera Cab
Old 07-01-2011, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: