Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Back to the ESS

Looking good there, Tex. Looks to me that hand forming the metal for the left over is very doable.
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930
Old 08-08-2011, 01:02 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Dude!.....I have to give you the thumbs up for diving in. Just pace yourself, and don't burn out. Remember to spend some time with the woman....They kinda get funny when the car is more fun to play with!
Old 08-09-2011, 06:27 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
air+fuel+spark

Garage
Thanks guys,

Kenik that sheet metal IS doable but I would rather not futz with it. It has way too much curvature for me to take on at this juncture. I can feel the clock ticking. I certainely could fab something up that is structural with out the fillets and radii but I want to avoid the Mad Max aesthetic if I can.

Kelly, I HAVE been pacing myself Under normal circumstances my M.O. would be to just work all day all night until the job is done but my day job gets in the way. I also have a fantastic woman who is very supportive of my projects so when we need to spend quality time she gets priority. Besides, I have to build up some points because I know as we approach my spring deadline for a working car, there are going to be some late nights =)
R Gruppe #653
Old 08-09-2011, 09:14 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Restoration design seems to have what you need, though it's a bit pricey, maybe looking for a donor is a better idea, especially if you have to mod the part, which I don't know.

Gas tank lateral support, right 1965-89: Restoration Design

Gas tank lateral support, left 1965-73: Restoration Design
Old 08-09-2011, 09:53 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
air+fuel+spark

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratpiper71T View Post
Restoration design seems to have what you need, though it's a bit pricey, maybe looking for a donor is a better idea, especially if you have to mod the part, which I don't know.

Ratpiper, I do have the lateral tank supports that you have pointed out from RD (actually they are Porsche sheet metal which is why they are so spendy!!!) The sheet metal I am looking for is actually part of the main chassis unibody on the exterior just below the battery boxes. Whoever did the previous tank support replacement didn't address these areas and now they are tin foil thin from corrosion. I am trying to make everything structural and better than new b/c I plan on keeping the car and beating on it
R Gruppe #653
Old 08-09-2011, 10:28 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Quote:

Quote de ratpiper71T

Ratpiper, I do have the lateral tank supports that you have pointed out from RD (actually they are Porsche sheet metal which is why they are so spendy!!!) The sheet metal I am looking for is actually part of the main chassis unibody on the exterior just below the battery boxes. Whoever did the previous tank support replacement didn't address these areas and now they are tin foil thin from corrosion. I am trying to make everything structural and better than new b/c I plan on keeping the car and beating on it
Sounds like a good plan! Sorry, I guess I'm confused(as usual). I thought the lateral supports included this area. I haven't seen them fitted up on a car.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:40 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)
Ubi bene ibi patria

Garage
Subscribed!
Good Luck Bryan - this project will be very interesting for all of us with the early cars.
Cheers
JB

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing than he who believes what is wrong. -- Thomas Jefferson
Old 08-09-2011, 10:47 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
air+fuel+spark

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratpiper71T View Post
Sounds like a good plan! Sorry, I guess I'm confused(as usual). I thought the lateral supports included this area. I haven't seen them fitted up on a car.
Yes lateral supports will be fitted last once the vertical walls and the horizontal walls are mated and the A-arms are aligned. It's ok to be confused...It is a state I am very familiar with

JB- Soon I hope to start actually adding the personal touches and getting the cars personality to come out and then this will all be a little more entertaining. For now we are in rehabilitation mode =)
R Gruppe #653

Last edited by combatic; 08-09-2011 at 12:26 PM..
Old 08-09-2011, 12:23 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Bryan,

Looks great! I can't tell you how happy I am to see someone bring life back into that car.

Todd
Old 08-11-2011, 08:46 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
air+fuel+spark

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderskog View Post
Bryan,

Looks great! I can't tell you how happy I am to see someone bring life back into that car.

Todd
Todd! So far behind on emails and chores etc. (the car has me pretty busy) I have been meaning to email you a link. I am stalled for a bit until I can get the rest of the sheet metal for the front to repair the rest of the rusted parts and then I can stitch up the front and start worrying about the motor =) Good to hear from you! Hope all is well.
R Gruppe #653
Old 08-11-2011, 09:46 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
Banned

is all the rust from the Seattle area? or did this car come from back East?

I like the rgruppe sticker placement BTW
Old 08-11-2011, 10:58 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
air+fuel+spark

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWebb View Post
is all the rust from the Seattle area? or did this car come from back East?

I like the rgruppe sticker placement BTW
I have not had a chance to do more research on the cars history. My understanding is that the car was purchased a few years ago in the Seattle area but prior to that I have no idea. Part of the floor pan on the passenger side was replaced but overall the car is very solid (its all relative right? I am very suprised that the rest of the undercarriage and the window seals etc are still intact.

Having fun so far! Thanks for the comments.
R Gruppe #653
Old 08-11-2011, 12:21 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

OR

Any use for these?

Jeff
Old 08-19-2011, 02:19 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
air+fuel+spark

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by a914622 View Post

OR

Any use for these?

Jeff
Jeff, apologies for the slow response, somehow I missed your post Jeff. How is the drivers side sheet metal? If it is at all decent I will take it. I will shoot you a PM as well.
R Gruppe #653
Old 08-24-2011, 07:45 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Drivers side better than passanger. I will call you and see if we can meet this weekend.

jcl
Old 08-24-2011, 09:03 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
air+fuel+spark

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by a914622 View Post
Drivers side better than passanger. I will call you and see if we can meet this weekend.

jcl
Sounds good Jeff. I am tacking the car back together all this week and this weekend.
R Gruppe #653
Old 08-24-2011, 09:07 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)
air+fuel+spark

Garage
Day 62 || Welding in the passenger side
7Sep11
Wow! A month has gone by! I have been finding time here and there to work on the car but I finally feel like I am getting some traction! I started out trying to Tig but I am not good enough with it and made a mess trying to get the main pan in. Too much heat build up and lots of blow through or adding too much and then having to grind it out to start over. I finally switched to Mig and sticking the metal together is much more relaxing Here is some of the progress so far.

Pan roughly welded in and test fitting supports

Battery box removal for weight reduction and really to make space for future TBD fender mount cooling...assuming I end up running some fantastic motor that is yet to be defined.

Donor part for the passenger side sheet metal brought back from the Walker Swap meet! Thanks Chris

patch piece cut from donor and being fit in place

Re-purposing battery box sheet metal. I will be using the outside battery wall to fill in the hole where the battery boxes used to be. This will be convenient b/c they have a gusset built in for torsional strength and I can reuse the fender mounts.

Finally welding in patch pieces! Mig is so much easier to tack everything together!
The welds that look cold set in the image were where I was filling holes using a 'spoon' as a backer and welding from the inside. These will be ground flush.

Pan with added welds and then etch primer applied. I taped off the areas where welds will be placed and this area will be painted with POL copper rich weld through primer.

Seam seal applied.
R Gruppe #653
Old 09-07-2011, 11:41 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)
air+fuel+spark

Garage
New passenger side longitudinal ground clean. The factory coating is not very durable so this part was stripped and I will etch prime and use copper rich primer at weld joints. Eventually this part will be protected on the outside with epoxy primer and the interiour will get 'cavity wax'. Waxoyl seems to be what is available and has been used for years by the Rover and Triumph/Brit car enthusiasts.

Longitudinal support finally welded in!

Longitudinal 'stitch welded around the perimeter of the part for added rigidity (and as added insurance beyond the plug welds around the perimeter...remember I am not a professional welder and paranoid about my own ability at this point . Now I am ready to dress the welds a bit and then move on and weld in the A Arm support plate (sitting on the pan to the left)
R Gruppe #653

Last edited by combatic; 09-07-2011 at 11:49 PM..
Old 09-07-2011, 11:45 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Wow, that looks like a great job, Bryan!

1969 911E Slate Grey
1981 911SC Wine Red
1997 911C4S Ocean Blue
Old 09-08-2011, 08:13 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)
"farking Porsche hero"

Garage
Nice work! You're going to be done in no time!
'66 911 #303872
Old 09-08-2011, 08:19 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)
Old 09-08-2011, 08:19 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: