Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Scott Cooper

Garage
901/911 tranny

Three years ago on the basis of pelican website testimonials I replaced my transmission lubricant with Swepco 201 in my '71 911T. My transmission, a 901/911, is the original transmission installed by the Porsche factory. Over the course of two years, a severe gear clash developed when upshifting from 1st to 2nd gear. As the transmission was 40 years old, I assumed it was time for a transmission rebuild. To get ready for transmission rebuild task, I reread Mike Caterino's "transmission refurb" link several times. In addition to purchasing a well worn 901/911 tranny for practice disassembly and reassembly, I also bought the special tools required to tackle this job. One of our local Buffalo experts suggested I replace the Swepco lubricant with Kendall NS-MP fluid. After draining the old lubricant and replacing with Kendall, purchased from our host, I drove the car about 200 miles and again drained the transmission lubricant and replaced with another 2.5 quarts of Kendall 80W-90 fluid. Unbelievably, the gear clash from 1st to 2nd is completely gone. As a matter of fact, the downshift from 2nd to 1st is now possible without coming to a full stop. My 40-year old transmission does not need a "refurb." My lesson learned is to stick with the Porsche factory recommendations.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
what do you mean by " Porsche factory recommendations"?
Old 07-23-2011, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

It's a really long thread, but if you have some time...

Swepco Transmission Fluid Question
Old 07-23-2011, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Is it really necessary to refill with Kendall 2x after the swepco? I have changed to swepco and it seems better in the first to second shift!
Old 07-23-2011, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

you won't get it 100% out with the first flush. in my humble opinion, swepco is great for gear face protection and not very good for balk ring (friction) syncro operation. too much slippage allowed between shift sleeve and the syncro ring that the sleeve is trying to slow down for a syncronized shift. this leads to the friction surface of the syncro being worn smooth and slick, reducing the friction function. as long as the syncro is being slipped upon by the shift sleeve, the brake bands inside the syncro ring won't relax to allow the sleeve to pass over the syncro and engage the dog teeth on the gear.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
interesting, John - thx
Old 07-23-2011, 10:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I have killed two first gear dog rings and a fourth gear using Redlines MTL in the race car. I think the Mtl, like the Swepco may be too slippery for the synchos.

Its funny, I tried synthetic oil in the engine. It didn't like that, had to go back to good ole 20w50 dino. These cas don't like anything new.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: