Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Brooklyn Dine & Drive Aug/25th

Due to the weather, both outings will be re-scheduled...

Last edited by smalltown718; 08-25-2011 at 08:26 AM.. Reason: weather!!!
Old 08-07-2011, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I'd rather if we assemble in an area that has better roads and less traffic then downtown Brooklyn. Especially if we are planning to go to LI... Jeremy (I got the name right?) - since we are more or less in the same area, do you want to get together and do a test drive? That way we can plan the route ahead of time, as well as find a location where we can all meet.

Cheers!

Alexei
Old 08-07-2011, 10:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Im always ready for ride, but agree with previous post. We should consider a different meeting place . I like to stay off the Gawonas, BQE, LIE (Queens section) & Van Wyck. The pot holes, road debris, tractor trailers and endless traffic gets me nervous!

Last edited by BKLYNTARGA; 08-07-2011 at 03:29 PM..
Old 08-07-2011, 12:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltown718 View Post

Drive: from dinner spot to ocean pkwy(LI) via lie,van wyck, and southern state pkwy...up wantagh pkwy back to southern state. 1.5 hr drive roundtrip

chime in with any insight on better drives under 2hrs round trip or possible dining spots.

SS doesn't pick up the tempo till you're 2-5 miles east of the Wantagh

road test going out to the Sagtikos Pky

best action at 9:30-9:30+ pm weekdays with late commuters

consider every overpass has a camera so entertainment happens between them

space every car a few miles apart or you'll draw attention from instant-on radar. Camera watchers radio to the patrol car "if" there's a car available. Not many HP cars available.

instant-on has been occasionally shooting westward cars coming from the Sagitkos from inside West Gilgo or HP may time his entrance to Ocean Pky from inside West Gilgo so he's right behind you as you pass by

Overall State HP are not dicks. They won't pull you over for fund raising or if you're doing 10+ limit or below. They may shoot you if all is kosher just to let you know they're watching which is rare and far between

party hearty
SSI Monty
MSD JPI
w x6
Old 08-07-2011, 09:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Jeremy, this is a classic NYC issue in that there are no good places to eat near good places to drive. In fact, I think there's an inverse correlation. I propose we meet in the area of Kent, Driggs, Roebling North of Metropolitan Ave (N 4th, 5th, etc.) where the roads aren't bad, parking is ample (in front of some of the remaining wharehouses) and food and drink are readilly available. Plus there will be plenty gawkers which is half the fun.

I spend enough time on the LIE, BQE, Grand Central, etc so I would probably skip that. I would, however, be up for a Bear Mtn. run!! I am also looking to do a brief swap with one of our friendly 914 owners.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

How about Floyd Bennett Field then? I could be partial is it's not too far from me, but it's a nice setting for pictures and there is plenty of space. Not much in terms of food, though there is Aviator sports complex right next to old hangars and we can either get food there or bring our own...
Old 08-08-2011, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Ok...so it's probably over ambitious to do a nice dinner followed by any substantially decent drive...so for the 25th we do the "dine" and we can follow up with a bear mtn 7 lakes drive early September.

If anybody wants to join in for a separate LI run led by Roninlb, we can set that up as well.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

@kraftwerk-there was beer garden you suggested to Scott and myself in Dumbo, where was that?
Old 08-08-2011, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
If you guys want to do a bear mountain run there are tons of places to eat in Westchester/Putnam county...depending on what you're looking for. I can possibly suggest some places if some can give me an idea of what "dinner" is.

Getting down to Brooklyn during the work week (during rush hour) is a bit tough for me. Much better driving out by me.

83 911SC
85.5 944 NA - Sold
Old 08-08-2011, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Matt- are there any good 24hr diners or good coffee spot for our early bird bear mtn run?
The dinner is going to be in BK if you want to come down, probably around 7:30 like last time to avoid rush hr.

Last edited by smalltown718; 08-08-2011 at 12:26 PM..
Old 08-08-2011, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Slippery Slope Victim

My shop is in Willyburg. I don't think I'd be willing to park my ride outside of a joint on Roebling, Driggs, Berry or Bedford. Plus, who are we kidding the condition of the streets suck.

There's Radagast Beer Garden on North 3rd

Radegast Hall & Biergarten - Williamsburg, Brooklyn

1985 M491
Old 08-08-2011, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Compared to DUMBO or Red Hook (where Belgian Blocks are the paving of choice) the streets in Williamsburg are pristine. Maybe we could park on Bedford alongside McCarren park. Radegast seems like quite the scene when I have driven past. There's always the Brooklyn Brewery too. I won't be drinking so I'm not partial to either. My preference would be to park near a burrito truck and eat on the street. Not sure if that guy is still over on N 6th. Let's also not rule out Jeremy's hood. Bay Ridge might have some good spots where we can assemble a bunch of cars.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
I would have to agree with arbita1 (Matt). Its tough to meet up during the week. How about a Saturday or Sunday morning ride on the thruway to Woodbury Commons?
Old 08-08-2011, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

If there is enough parking in front of Radegast that will be first choice...

I will drive by this Thursday to do some recon and finalize a spot by Friday.

Drive has been set for Sunday August 28th will be an early bird run up through 7 Lakes Drive Bear MTN

Exact meet up location and time tba for 7 lakes run
Old 08-08-2011, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
unfortunately i will be back in college but this sounds like a lot of fun. There are lots of places to eat in westchester especially in the White plains area.
If any one cant make it that weekend but still wants to go I may head up there on Saturday the 20th before i leave for school.

best
dave
88' 924s
31' Ford Model A

Last edited by masterdave; 08-09-2011 at 12:27 PM..
Old 08-08-2011, 08:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltown718 View Post
Matt- are there any good 24hr diners or good coffee spot for our early bird bear mtn run?
The dinner is going to be in BK if you want to come down, probably around 7:30 like last time to avoid rush hr.
Yes, I'm sure I can find some diners or coffee places around the area.

83 911SC
85.5 944 NA - Sold
Old 08-09-2011, 02:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
78scslantnose

Garage
I seen a coupe getting off the fdr on 42nd st northbound.I'm like a little kid everytime I see one.Beautiful car.Does it belong to anyone here.It was dark blue.There is also a red coupe with the #9 on the door by the fdr a little before the 116st. exit southbound.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
78scslantnose

Garage
Could make it to the last one,but trying to make it to the diner as I live in williburg.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
78scslantnose

Garage
Just looked at the calender and the meet is for a thursday the 25th.Why not friday the 26th?
Old 08-11-2011, 04:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Thursday

78scslantnose-I Didn't want to steal away anybody's Friday night plans

Old 08-11-2011, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: