Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Porsche Crest 1983 911SC cold start, low idle

New problem. It's difficult to start cold, and after four or five tries I can get it started, but idles very low and sometimes dies. When idling, a little pressure on the gas and it pops a couple of times before RPM's come up. Runs fine over 1000 RPM's and above, but have to keep some pressure on the gas to keep RPM's up. Once warm, it will restart again fine but still the low idle problem. Any help would be appreciated!
Old 08-18-2011, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Hey, nice marmot.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by medspwr View Post
New problem. It's difficult to start cold, and after four or five tries I can get it started, but idles very low and sometimes dies. When idling, a little pressure on the gas and it pops a couple of times before RPM's come up. Runs fine over 1000 RPM's and above, but have to keep some pressure on the gas to keep RPM's up. Once warm, it will restart again fine but still the low idle problem. Any help would be appreciated!
I had a similar issue on my '83. Search for 'Troubleshooting CIS'. Go to the end of the thread and you can see a summary of my results. I posted links to Youtube videos of the before and after.

Your two starting points are checking CIS fuel pressures and checking for vac leaks, especially at the air box . Do you have a pop-off valve installed in the air box? Do those tests and report back. There are plenty of threads about doing the tests.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: