Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Dealer cost to replace cab top!!!!!!!

My 88 turbo cab needs a new top so I called around to some dealers to see who they recommend. I figured correctly and they all directed me to a place that has been doing tops for decades. The guy said that they have done hundreds of 911 tops and I think they may have been the ones that did my 83cab 10+ years ago. The guy was very knowledgeable and friendly and quoted me $1,200 total for the top (German canvas) and 8hrs labor.

However, one dealer said that they can do the top but couldn't get at it for 6 weeks. He said the top would cost $4,000 and labor would be 15 hours at $100 per hour. So we're looking at $5,500 vs. $1,200.

For the fun of it I did price tops online and World Upholstery has German canvas for $550 and GAHH runs $860 for their German canvas. The shop I called uses GAHH. Any ideas why the big difference? Is one real German and the other "fake" real German? I also priced some weatherstripping I'm sure I'll get from Pelican. I can't believe a single piece of rubber costs $150.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Had mine intalled for $1200 at Ed's Auto Interiors in Villa Park, IL. That included top and labor approximately 2
years ago. And yes, the seals cost almost as much as the top, but it'll look like hell if you don't replace them.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: