Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 4.65 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Wow! Welcome to the club.

That is quite a project you are undertaking. I will enjoy seeing the pictures as this beautiful car moves along in the repair/restoration process.

I vote to restore it as it was, a 959. God speed and good luck.
1971 914-6 #0372
2016 Audi S3 DD
2010 997.2 C4S 6 Speed
Old 09-07-2011, 04:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

Looking at the pictures I can not help but notice how remarkably similar the entire door hing post, A-pillar and dash sheet metal is to the 911 chassis. I suspect this many be easier to repair this section that you may think.

However, the outer rocker has a highly tubular structure from the outside and that is one interesting jack receiver hanging down.

I ask that you start a photo gallery of the entire underside of the car to document the differences from the 911. I have never had a 964 apart but wonder how much cross-over there is between the 911 and 964 chassis as it relates to the 959. Very cool stuff.
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 09-07-2011, 05:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

rebuilding Porsche 959

Hi.
Thanks a lot for all the positive feedback.
I have also been amazed how simple the car is and how much like a 911 it is.
The complicated areas are as you all probably are aware off: suspension, leveling and the ability to change height plus pluss...As of my knowledge this is a problem on quite a few of them. Wayne has had/have the same issues.
are no less than at least 13 electronic boxes to control a diversity of things.... Will be interesting the first time I do turn the key....
Most people are frighten of starting something like this, but I think it`s still a car and than it can we fixed. I know that a car like this will not be as much worth as one without the damage, but for me it`s a great experience to be able to say afterwards that I have rebuilt this from a wreck and it is now running again. Though I think by involving the factory in the jigging and straightening all the parameters are right and you have a frame with the same qualities as when it came from the factory.
Do you guys have any thoughts on this? Would you be concerned to buy a car if it had been repaired at the factory?
Itīs actually not so important because if I manage to get it together again I do not intend to sell it...

I do need a new fan housing though, been checking my sources and it does not look good....

Roar
Old 09-07-2011, 05:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
NOS driver

Roarmac,
having lived in Norway for 6 years I'm pretty sure Porsche classic won't be that much more expensive than a good bodyshop in norway. I think rates in Norway for a car like this would be easily in the range of 1500-2000 NOK/hour. No idea how much Porsche Classic charges, but the difference could be rather small. I would ask for an estimate to get fixed as much as possible at porsche classic and then do the rest by Yourself.
luca
Old 09-07-2011, 05:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

I think the fact that the car will be repaired by the factory will carry a lot of weight. For some people it means a stamp of approval, (factory documentation will, of course, be very important) I think you are going about it the right way. Good luck!
Old 09-07-2011, 06:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

This has gotta be one of the coolest resto projects ever. Good on ya, for taking it on. And good luck as well. Can't wait to see the progress!
Old 09-07-2011, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

rebuilding Porsche 959

Hi.
today I got hold of a new fan housing. The old one had received a hit such that the fan on the alternator hit the housing. First looking at it I was quite sure I was going to be able to save it. But after a few hrs scratching my head I realized this will take more time than I have for this particular piece. I would have had to build some kind of jig to get the blades right, and with almost nothing in clearance housing/fan it would have been quite difficult. No thanks.
Here are a few pics.

Roar
Ps! I do also think that factory is the way to go. They build the cars and they repairing them is as good as new I would say?
Old 09-07-2011, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Interesting. It looks like the housing is steel fins cast into aluminum.

I had sent you a PM about the housing, but it looks like you found one.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Do you think that you will be able to adapt other Porsche body parts in place to keep the cost down? I suspect that the value of this Porsche will always be much lower than an original so would it be a good idea to see if steel body panels fit?
Old 09-07-2011, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

I think you are on the right track. There have been examples of collectibles like RS's and RSR's that had been wrecked, documented as wrecked, but stamped off by the factory as being repaired properly, and they sell for good values compared to other restored examples. But then again, we are talking about much older cars that have matured value-wise.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
80 930, 74S

...or you could be the first kid on the block with a hot-rod r-gruppe style 959
Old 09-07-2011, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
That is an interesting fan setup. Is that picture showing the fan blades have all snapped off from the hub due to the contact with the housing? Or is that a housing with staor vanes on it? It reminds me of a jet engine turbine wheel with the duct attached to the blades- a blisc/bladed disc if I understand the use of that term correctly. But if you have the winglet/duct rotating with the blade then you would not need another housing except to route the air into the fan shroud leading to the cylinders.

Can you please post more pictures and describe the fan setup? Or maybe a PET diagram?

Suspension by Rebel Racing, Serviced by TLG Auto, Brakes by PMB Performance
http://www.flickr.com/photos/max_911_fahrer/
Old 09-07-2011, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

rebuilding Porsche 959

I might have been a bit unclear...
The fan housing is stationary with a outer housing and stationay vanes that conects the outer to the inner case. The inner case holds the alternator and here the fan is connected. The housing vanes only deflect the air into the cylinders... It`s pretty much like a turbin engine with stators/vanes which are stationary.

I think the inner and outer housing is of magnesium while the stator/vanes seem to be out of regular stell. The vanes/stators have notches on both sides that fit into groves on both the inner and outer, pluss they are welded lightly in place.

This is the outher casing with the vanes still in place

This is the inner piece that should be be in center of the vanes/stator and outer housing.
As the vanes are quite bent there is space to slide the inner out and in, and you would have to get the vanes into the groves plus getting the inner piece one hundred percent in center due, otherwise the fan will not spinn freely. The clearance when measured fan to housing was just 1-2mm.

Roar
Old 09-07-2011, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

rebuilding Porsche 959

All the body parts that are out of steel(frame)are most likely available so I will stick to getting that 100% by Porsche Classic. As long i do not have to buy the whole sub section to fix the firewall it will be fine. Then it is the wheel housing, sills, a post, door bracket and one other piece that holds the fender. I will check to see if I get a Pet picture going...
Did not work.
Will take som e better pictures tomorrow that will show the damage better than I can explain.. Pictures says more than 1000 words they say....

Roar
Old 09-07-2011, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Canucks Fan

Roar welcome to our little peice of heaven (thanks Wayne). Super project and I would do the same as you and others have said and let the factory get the car back to spec. With Factory work and documentation It would pass my test of correctness and I would put it back to 959 trim.
Do you have a timetable for the project? I'm subscribed to this for sure.
Cool name by the way and would look good and be fitting as a personilized plate for the car when your finished.
Good luck, and remember we love pic's and video, Bring it back for all P car fans. You da man!
Finn
Old 09-07-2011, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

WOW, that is all I can say, WOW!!!
Good luck on a cool a$$ project!!!

20+ year PCA member

Many Cool Porsches, Projects& Parts, Vintage BMX bikes too

http://www.bvdmotorsports.com
Active Rennlist Member.
http://members.rennlist.com/racerbvd/
See blog for my For Sale & Wanted List.
http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=337&
Old 09-07-2011, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Garage
Holy cow! Will be watching this one.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
GAFB

Thank you so much - one, for committing your resources to saving this wonderful automotive icon. Two, for sharing with the enthusiasts here.

True that once you peel back all the hoses, cables, and lines, the car starts to become recognizable as more or less a 911 shell. I am sure that Porsche will help you get back to straight/true unibody with appropriate documentation.

Please share all the pics you want here - as a "child of the 80s", I can never get enough of the Porsche 959.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

I also need the engine covers for the back. Mine is not so good as you can see. If i can not find them at a reasonable price I will have to make molds and fix the ones I have in pieces.

This gives a bit of an idea of how much it is pushed in on the side. I have pulled out about the half to be able to get seats and so forth out, but it still need about another 5 cm before it will fit withe the panel where the vipers sit(do not know what itīs called)

Roar
Old 09-07-2011, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

rebuilding Porsche 959

Here is a picture of the sill and the fender/outer sill. Those were a pain in the ass to get loose. The germans have used a glue that makes the panel attach to the metal in incredible way. After a lot of trying i had to warm up the metal with a heat gun to get it to let go..

And for all of you wandering if there is any damage to the drivetrain. Neither the fron diff, tube or the engine have damage. The only thing on the engine was the fan housing and exhaust.

Roar
Old 09-07-2011, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: