Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 4.65 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Rebuilding a Porsche 959

Hi.
My name is Roar Olsen from Norway and I do have a substantial project going. Some do call it beyond economical repair, and some think it's quite cool. Wayne thinks it is somewhat in between I think
I will try to post pictures here so you can follow the project, I assume quite a few of you already know of the car. It was the car mentioned on this page several years ago. It came from Japan and bought by a Norwegian, not me, to be rebuilt. After being parked in a garage for about three years I found it on a web page and the snowball was rolling.
If there are people out there with knowledge off the 959 and hints on the road you are more than welcome to give me feedback. Also if somebody know of parts,(any) I very much would like to hear about it.

The car will hopefully end up on the road again, either as a 959 or a 961. That is not completely decided yet.

Obviously the iPad do not get you any pictures to upload, I will try to get it done from the computer later on.

Roar
Old 09-06-2011, 02:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Before someone suggests that Roar contact me, I've been working with him on this project over the past year or so. I suggested that he post here in the forums as it's an exciting and interesting project that I though worth sharing!

-Wayne
101 Projects for Your BMW 3-Series • 101 Projects for Your Porsche 911 • How to Rebuild & Modify Porsche 911 Engines • 101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster & Cayman • 101 Projects for Your Porsche 996 / 997
Coming in 2014:
• 101 Projects for Your MINI Cooper
Old 09-06-2011, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rebuilding the 959

Thanks a lot Wayne.
Wayne has been an incredible help and has used a lot of his time to back my up on the project, a real enthusiast

When I bought the project it was pretty much in the same condition as we have seen form previous threads on the forum. Quite beaten up. Has a major hit on the left side, just in front of the left door. The sill, post, wheel housing needs a lot of work, or better replacement. It needs to be put in a jig which I think will take place at Porsche classic in Stuttgart. They seem at the moment the only on that will do a job like this, and the only one which can provide some proper papers after the job. I'm fairly certain any good body mechanic could have done it, but being such a special car the smartest will be to get the factory on the case.

At the moment quite a bit has been done taken it apart. The engine, the whole drive train, interior, fenders, roof is off.

Classic will receive it as clean as possible before they start repairing it..

Taking the engine out was not that difficult, Wayne helped me out with the info from the manual which made the whole thing quite easy. Getting it in again is going to a bit more tricky. The shifter rod is going to be a pain gettin on while trying to get the box/engine in place. Luckily that is way down the road, and I have probably forgotten about the whole problem when I'm about to install

What is left now is dissemble all the electronic in the hood. There is quite a bit I can tell you. I will provide pictures of the massive Circuit/electronic cable cluster that is in front of the passenger seat foot area. I have decided to try to leave that..... It will be a years work to figure out of all those cables. I do neither think that they will need to be removed for the body straightening job at the factory

Pictures to come in the very near future

Roar
Old 09-06-2011, 02:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Justin@Athens
sub'd. I think we would all like to see pics. I think most ops would find this project very interesting and you might find a great deal of help here too.

Good luck and keep us updated!
1999 x2 Boxster (sold)
2006 Cayman S (my daily)
Old 09-06-2011, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
<insert witty title here>

Garage
If it were me, and I could afford it (which I can't!) I'd send it to the factory for the best restoration money can buy. Really, the 959 is a very special, rare and important car, and I think to do anything less than the best to a car like that would be a shame. But of course, it's your car and your money, not mine, which is precisely what my opinion's worth!

Whatever way you go, I'm just happy to follow along and see the pics. Good luck!
Old 09-06-2011, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

Roar, Welcome to Pelican! I am sure the group will help to the best of their abilities and knowledge.

I am excited to see the process.

Is this the car? I remembered the thread from long ago.

Albatross or Gold Mine? 959 Parts Car on eBay...
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 09-06-2011, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
... I can't think of anything more challenging in the automotive world than rebuild a crash damaged 959.

Will be watching with great interest. Good luck.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Justin@Athens
I agree with christien completely--Porsche Classic would be the best route, even if yo had to sit on it and save or borrow to have it done.
1999 x2 Boxster (sold)
2006 Cayman S (my daily)
Old 09-06-2011, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rebuilding the 959

Novak. That is the car. Not to many off them around... As you all can see of the pictures it has taken quite a hit, and I knew that when I bought it...

like a few off you suggested: it wil go to the factory for repair, though just the bodywork. The rest is planned to be done myself. restoring this at the factory would cost both your arms.....and a little more.

Most of the Kevlar bits are savable. Though I might have to buy a new front fender and off course the rear bumper. I have a new hood and the rear spoiler, pluss a new rim.

Roar
Old 09-06-2011, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Bird. It's the word...

Garage
You have a cool name Roar... My mum was a Norg (nee Amundsen) and she didn't give me a cool name like Roar

Good luck on the rebuild, I think a few of us will be following closely!
Old 09-06-2011, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to redstrosekNic
Quote "Obviously the iPad do not get you any pictures to upload, I will try to get it done from the computer later on."

If you want to upload pics using an iPad, you can get the free photoshop app and upload your pics from there. This is the method I use, and it works well. I'm looking forward to seeing this story unfold! Good luck!!!

Edit... It's photobucket, not photoshop.
1977 KZ1000
Civic - DD

Last edited by redstrosekNic; 09-06-2011 at 07:04 PM..
Old 09-06-2011, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by redstrosekNic View Post
I'm looking forward to seeing this story unfold! Good luck!!!
Same here.

Shawn
Old 09-06-2011, 06:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Here are a few pictures. It's a fairly large project, but still it is only a car. And it can be fixed
I do need a new fan, or if somebody is any good jiging a fan that would be a alternative. The fan is no longer available from the factory.

Roar
Old 09-06-2011, 11:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Thanks for the tip about photo bucket, worked very nice.
And if some of you are thinking that I'm stupid starting a project like this, you may save you your breath saying so. Because I have done quite a bit of research, and yes I do also know that this car will not ever be as much valued as not crashed... But this is my hobby that I plan to spend quite a few years on, and I very much enjoy it when I have the time in the garage all by myself on a project not to many people have experience with. Most likely there are not to many others that have pulled a 959 apart like this, apart from the factory itself. For other 959 owners out there you are welcome to ask if you have things that you want to see specific since the car is now apart.

Roar

Last edited by roarmac; 09-07-2011 at 12:02 AM..
Old 09-06-2011, 11:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
a.k.a. G-man

Garage
A vote for rebuilding it as a 961!

όber cool!

32C Member #41

1986 911 3.2 Carrera (not stock)
1974 911 2.7 9114102230 SOLD
Old 09-06-2011, 11:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Yes, it is quite possible it will end up as a 961. It all depends on parts availability and the cost of them off course.

Roar
Old 09-06-2011, 11:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
hey, you are to be lauded, applauded for taking on this project. the worse the patient is, the more HEART you are putting back into it. Congratulations, and good luck.

there are so many 1960s 1970s cars, especially racecars, that we all wish were still around instead of just disposed.

best
Reza
Old 09-06-2011, 11:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

MAN I wish I had the time, money and skill to do a project like this... all I can do is dream and drool
- 1974 Porsche 911 US Carrera #127
- 1969 Volvo Amazon 121 (project, for sale)
- 1999 VW Golf 1,8
- 2001 Aprilia RSV1000 (sold)
Old 09-07-2011, 12:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Congratulations on taking on this project, Roar. Bringing such a special car back to life will be that much more rewarding when it finally is finished. As for the direction I would take it if it were my car, I'd simplify the suspension much like a 961, but keep it looking like a 959 on the outside.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
I applaud the commitment you have made to the restoration of an incredible motoring icon. I'm sure the decision to undertake such an exercise didn't come lightly. Congratulations on the find, the passion, and the ability to complete the task! I wish you all the very best in your endeavor, and eagerly await future developments.

Kindest Regards
Roni
'65 Porsche 912 (painted dash) #451232
'65 Porsche 912 (painted dash) #451425 - 13 days younger
'78 Porsche 911SC - Resto garage queen
Old 09-07-2011, 04:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: