Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
12 old Porsches from Dubai to USA

Should have been on reality tv with this long move. Nightmare began two months ago with a sudden decision that this old car nut was too old to get a new contracrt due to visa restrictions policies.

2 951s, 3 930s, 3 965s, 1 928, and 3 911s, escaping the desert near Dubai are landed in the US. 5 are stuck in customs in Charleston due to a random selection of container search. 2 more are parts in a container full of old parts and tools and personal junk waiting for a vacis in new york before being shipped by rail to Detroit.

Charleston, South Carolina has been my home for the past ten days trying to get someone to unload a container with 3 cars stacked on racks and two on the floor. Container sat several days while I searched for someone who could unload it. I explained the situation and one company accepted. The container waited there for a day and a half before they opened it and they freaked out. 4 days later it was unloaded by a crew that knew what they were doing and had an 11,000 pound forklift with 10 foot long blades.

Second container requires a bond and a broker who is sympathetic to my car disease and confused situation. He is trying to get things organized and God knows my organization hasn't made things easy for him. There is an 86 930 partially together in this container along with a very nice 965 originally bought in the US. The other three cars are very marginal in condition. 2 951s not running and a what was a beautiful black 83 928 with a bad engine and body damage done while at the shippers location in Dubai. ( Small black cars don't mix with 18 wheelers moving containers and scrap in a congested area.) Financially it makes no sense for the 951s but once I start a project, I like to finish it even if it may take 20 years. It might be a total of 30 years for a couple of these cars as I've had them for 10 years already.

Yeah, I am bad with computers and pictures, but if there is a Pelican head who can help me with downloading or uploading pictures here in Charleston, I'd be happy to share.

Come see my challenge.

Diverdan

Now, I've been in the port city of Charleston for about 10 days trying to get my cars out of customs to transport back to northern Michigan

I've declared everything that I could legally I take into the US, but my second container was randomly selected to have a search. The customs folks were actually very understanding of my situation and advised my to get a broker as a bond would be required, more money, but with my confused state, the broker wil really have to work hard. While I have official papers from the UAE, I don't have all the sales receipts for cars that I bought 5 or more years ago. ( In the UAE the old owner and the new ower have to go to the motor vehicle department together and the government does the paperwork so bills of sale aren't common and there is not on the value of the car.) Also I have stacks of old 911 944 and 928 parts that I collected over the years as cars were abandoned, sold cheaply as no one wanted an old car they couldn't get parts for or given to me as someone who would appreciate them. A lot of stuff I didn't need but someday might as I have a bunch of these cars and no budget to keep them going.

Last edited by diverdan; 09-21-2011 at 07:15 PM..
Old 09-21-2011, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage

Beginning in front of my house in the United Arab Emirates......Loading this stuff was easy even for a Ludite like me.

Last edited by diverdan; 09-21-2011 at 07:18 PM.. Reason: I am a ham fisted Ludite.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Wow! And to think I freaked out when the towing company charged me $85 for 1/4 mile...don't even wanna know how much all this was. Impressive!
Old 09-21-2011, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Wow.

Wish I could help, but I'm states and states away. Good luck. Keep us posted. Great to see you saving these cars.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

How did this all begin, what was the origin of the cars? It sounds like a fascinating story.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Kurt,

I think it all started in 1955 when I was 8 years old and my father brought a 1955 issue of Popular Mechanics with a spread off beautioful pictures of the "Cars of Europe" Lancia B24, Ferrari Monza, 300SLR, and of course 356.

Along about 1977 a friend made me an offer for my 1956-7 Maserati 300s at a time when my home was in jeopardy and like a fool I accepted. Behra and Moss had driven that car and I loved it. Its worth several million now and its not the money, I just can't ever have it again.
So, I guess I just don't want to sell any of my cars and I feel a real loss for those that I had to dispose of because of US regulations.

These 12 I would dearly love to keep until I can't any more due to old age circumstances, should that time come. So I have collected the cars and parts.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

subscribed
Old 09-22-2011, 02:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Great story, I admire your courage, passion and dedications to these amazing cars. I'm following this with interest, good luck!
Old 09-22-2011, 02:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Well done for saving them, however, sounds like a nightmare for you at the moment.
I have a friend here in the UK who collects Jaguars, he has a few E types, and MK 10, MK2 etc, plus a few more modern models, he also has garages and sheds full of engines, gearboxes etc, etc. I asked him one day why he neede so many parts, and with a similar mindset to yours he turned round and said, " I may need them some day"
Fair enough, but one E type has been in his parents garden since the 1980's.
Anthony.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Thank you for your support Anthony, Scott, Nola and everyone. Kurt, that's dear for 1/4 mile. Six months ago my entire collectrion of 20 plus cars had to be moved from Al Ain to Khor Fakhan within the Emirates a distance of about 150 miles. That took 20 roll backs and 5 20 foot open trucks to move my stuff. My employer had said that they would cover the move for 20 of us who were moved, and when I told them about my situation they agreed at first but in the end only allowed about $1000.00 for the move. Each truck load was about $125 for the cars and $200.00 for the household and hobby support. When the move announced I almost lost it and averaged about 2 and one half hours of sleep for several months. They wanted to move me into a nice 2 bedroom high rise in the middle of town with no parking. I really felt like a homeless person and there isn't a shopping cart on this planet big enough to hold my worldly possesions. It took me almost 3 months to find a house with a yard big enough to accomodate the cars. I was a basket case until they decided not to renew my contract suddenly in June. Thus started this journey.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Wow...this is going to be one epic thread!!! I love it and thank-you for saving these cars and giving them a second lease on life. I would be super duper interested in any of the projects if you loose interest or have too much on your plate. Will you slowly restore all of them..what is the final destiny of the cars? Sorry for all the questions.
P.S: Dig the pics in the Dubai desert!

Yasin
Old 09-22-2011, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Yasin:

Final destination, hopefully is the garage I built last summer in northern Michigan. Here are some pictures of the construction.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

You are my hero Diverdan!!! I will be in Detroit on business next month, I would love to meet-up with you, even if I have to take a day's vacation. So very very cool! Your thread has made my day
Yasin
Old 09-22-2011, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Here's a picture of the 1996 6.5 diesel dually I bought to pull all these cars back to my cottage in the north. $2500.00 for the truck then $500 for the hitch and it has been eating oil cooling lines and the oil cooler and the vacuum pump (Porsche would never make a pulley as cheap as this one that fatigued) and a diesel injection pump ecu. Only the vacuum pump pulley failed while towing the 50 foot trailer AND THAT'S ANOTHER ADVENTURE in this saga. This is DIY for just about everything!
Old 09-22-2011, 07:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

diverdan,

Thanks for sharing and thank you for going through all the effort to save these cars and bring them home to the states.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Anthony:

I like your friend in UK. You are right. I am of the same mindset. I won't sell any of these cars or parts until I'm at least 85 or somehow forced to liquidate, God forbid. I might need them someday. I will probably need to buy a lot of parts to complete these projects. What I'll need, I don't know. I do it all myself. I'm sure there are missing trim parts etc.

How many pelican heads out there hoard stuff like I do?

Dan
Old 09-22-2011, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I used to be an extreme hoarder of sorts.

Then one day I finally calculated the cost of expanding my garage, the taxes on that space etc.

I came to the conclusion that for that amount I could throw everything away and buy it back any time I needed and still be ahead.

I contemplated throwing away all the kids sports gear each season and buying new stuff the next season, rather than storying it :-)

I became as extreme about throwing things away as I had been about hoarding. I was excited every garbage day!

Of course, my stuff was mainly junk compared to yours, and I'll bet you can find a better balance than I did...

Looking forward to seeing your progress as you uncover all these interesting cars for us.

Very exciting!
Old 09-22-2011, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Where abouts in N Michigan are you? I am in TC and would be more than happy to lend a hand up here if needed.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

I'm willing to bet that the population of air cooled Porsches was cut in half when you left. Don't worry, you're not alone in your hoarding...
Old 09-22-2011, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Great story, looking forward to hearing the details of these cars, hopefully they weren"t just lying around the desert waiting to be picked up!
Old 09-22-2011, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: