Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
most of the people on this board couldnt build/weld/fabricate/design something like that... why all the negativity... not my cup of tea but that is alot of work and is well done.
83 SC Targa -- 3.2SS, GT2-108 Dougherty Cams, 9.5:1 JE Pistons, Supertec Studs, PMO ITB's, MS2 EFI, SSI's, Recurved Dizzy, MSD, Backdated Dansk Sport Stainless 2 in 1 out, Elephant Polybronze, Turbo Tie Rods, Bilstein HD's, Hollow 21-27 TBs, Optima Redtop 34R, Griffiths-ZIMS AC, Seine Shifter, Elephant Racing Oil Cooling.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Capitalist and Patriot

He commented on the welds in the first video stating they were made to look like that to in his words "emulate the ugly welds on the original 917 frames".....

There is a lot of mock up going on with what you are seeing, try to give this guy a chance to complete the vision and engineering.

I give him props for effort for sure.

BUT I have to wonder if there wasn't a better "model" to copy, surely he could have used plans-drawings-blueprints as opposed to copying a model? What if that model he copied was missing a few key structural points? Is he trusting his life to a 'made in China' model?

I bet it will end up pretty damn cool (already is) and close to resembling the real thing...not sure if it'll perform and stay in one piece, but the guy clearly owns a tuner shop for corvette and ricers so he has the capability to pull this off...

Overall thumbs up and A for effort!!
Old 10-01-2011, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
D troop 3/5 CAV ,162 AHC

It will take some REAL talent to loft the body and make it right...Not sure where of even if there are numbers for that..

Last edited by afterburn 549; 10-01-2011 at 04:15 PM..
Old 10-01-2011, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

I'm impressed. It's a much better job than I could do. I'd be a bit scared to drive the thing until it was really well tested. I get the 2 subie motors, that makes a flat 8 which is similar to the original, but I think I'd be OK with something similar to a 917 but with an LSx Chevy motor for motivation. It would probably need to have a corvette dry sump system though if it was going to be in a 917 simulation (probably a better term than replica).

If I could drive something that looked like a 917 (I'd prefer a 917k, but the open cockpit is probably cooler) and handled great with Corvette brakes, suspension engine and tranny but a similar weight to an old 917, wow, that thing would be insane.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 10-01-2011, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by javadog View Post
No... quite a bit more than that. The 4.5 liter motors made 520 and the larger ones made more.

JR

My mistake. I must have been thinking 4.5l. Stll doesn't take away from the fact that its a pretty good amount of power for such a light car.

Its not how fast you go...its how you go fast
Old 10-01-2011, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
D troop 3/5 CAV ,162 AHC

wonder what it will way? 1500>?
Old 10-01-2011, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
The rebar was a nice touch.JR
Can't argue with that. The weight of those bars has to be tremendous. Additionally, they could bend with arm strength in a vise vs. tubes. Maybe the rebar was post budget constraints??? Note the entire frame of the 917 weighed under 100 pounds. Those bars alone have to weigh 15+ pounds.

Have to keep it all in perspective. The guy is a "regular guy" and although an odd undertaking, I am really, really impressed with his huevos - maybe a better word is adventure-som-ness (I just made that up) to take on such a project. My hat is off to him.

Last edited by Bob Kontak; 10-01-2011 at 06:02 PM..
Old 10-01-2011, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Actually, the rebar was just there until he got his spring/shock assemblies in place. Still...

JR
Old 10-01-2011, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

certainly an auspicious endeavour

for fabricators and purists there are certainly some downfalls

reminds me of the countach in basement guy: Hand-Made Lamborghini Built In Basement Finally Sees Light Of Day

Homemade Countach Stuck in Basement - Lamborghini Forum
Old 10-01-2011, 09:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Commendable effort but no way would I trust my ass to that thing at any speed over 50. Might be fun to drive in a parade.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
D troop 3/5 CAV ,162 AHC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Oversteer View Post
Commendable effort but no way would I trust my ass to that thing at any speed over 50. Might be fun to drive in a parade.
Why do you say that? (about the 50MPH)
I think he is doing great, just not done...a lot of mock up still there.
If those frame parts were proper prepped for welding so as to get a good root pass they will hold no mater how ugly
Old 10-02-2011, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

It's not the welds that worry me, although I'd like to know what type and size of tubing he used. You can't really judge any of that from the videos. It's how it's all constructed; how the tubes are laid out and how the loads are fed into the chassis.

Have a look at a Porsche space frame (or any similar race car frame from that era) and study the joints, the triangulation, etc.

JR
Old 10-02-2011, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by j911brick View Post
A few years ago somebody built a 910 from scratch. Its really not that hard to build a race car, and with all the new computerized CNC making parts like the uprights and spindles is not the trick it used to be.
True. Building replica like that shouldn't be a whole lot more difficult than building FF. After I posted the original videos, my biggest concern is if the car would really be track-worthy. The way that he has a few things struck me as not being able to pass scrutineering. But that may be because it's still a work in process.

Either way, my hat's off to the guy for getting the project this far along.

"It's a poor craftsman who blames their tools" -- Unknown
"Any suspension -- no matter how poorly designed -- can be made to work reasonably well if you just stop it from moving." -- Colin Chapman
Old 10-02-2011, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by masraum View Post
I get the 2 subie motors, that makes a flat 8 which is similar to the original,
Actually, those are flat-6 Subie SUV motors. Should be 12-cylinder, 7.2L, 512HP total in standard trim. Awesome project.

A guy had a street-legal scratchbuilt 917/10 at Waterford Hills a few years ago. I think he had a 3.2L 911 motor in it. It was pretty well done.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtEgerer View Post
Actually, those are flat-6 Subie SUV motors. Should be 12-cylinder, 7.2L, 512HP total in standard trim. Awesome project.

A guy had a street-legal scratchbuilt 917/10 at Waterford Hills a few years ago. I think he had a 3.2L 911 motor in it. It was pretty well done.

That looks like David & Vicki's car. If that is it, the shell is a actual factory 917 body.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

I think they were from Minnesota. The proportions on that body seemed spot-on to me, so I would believe it was a real shell.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
user & abuser

Garage
Seems really cool to me. I look forward to seeing more progress!
Old 10-02-2011, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah? Have a look how he attached the rear suspension to the frame.

JR
I've seen it done like that on a race car before. How would you do it?

Old 10-02-2011, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Quote:
Originally Posted by j911brick View Post
I've seen it done like that on a race car before. How would you do it?
Tubes are intended to be loaded in tension and compression. You don't want to introduce a bending load into them, mid-span. A space frame is sort of a connect-the-dots type of design. First you locate critical points, like the the suspension pivot points in this case. Then, you lay out the tubes in such a way as to transfer whatever force are present at these points into the main structure. You don't build the frame first, without looking at the loads that will be imposed upon it, and where, then attach the suspension at whatever point it happens to fall.

JR
Old 10-03-2011, 05:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Tubes are intended to be loaded in tension and compression. You don't want to introduce a bending load into them, mid-span. A space frame is sort of a connect-the-dots type of design. First you locate critical points, like the the suspension pivot points in this case. Then, you lay out the tubes in such a way as to transfer whatever force are present at these points into the main structure. You don't build the frame first, without looking at the loads that will be imposed upon it, and where, then attach the suspension at whatever point it happens to fall.

JR
We must be thinking of two different things. Exactly what part are you looking at?

Old 10-03-2011, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: