Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by intakexhaust View Post
Hats off to this fellows project. Others need to chill on this board as this is just ones idea that he's obviously proud of and enjoys Porsches... like all of us. Good for him. Done right or wrong, I hope he accomplishes it.

I'm not going into what should be done or whatever but thought I'd share some pics I took of this icon. All of you experts should recognize this aluminum chassis with titanium springs, mag crankcases, yada, yada. By the way, the chassis was pressurized with gas to detect any cracks or fractures (and no, it wasn't helium to make it any lighter... 93lbs ; )

Cheers, Scott

It was enjoyable to read a comment from a mature person. There were few so far.

Thanks,

Jack
Old 10-15-2017, 04:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by javadog View Post
I think you get my point now. There is no sound engineering in that chassis and not even any decent redneck engineering. It's potentially hazardous to anybody that drives it. It make you wonder what other choices he made in tubing size/alloy, in how the engines are bolted together and a bunch of other things. The sad thing is the guy spent a lot of time, and probably a fair bit of money, and the end product is grossly flawed. A little guidance from a pro, or a weekend spent reading the endless books available to armchair race engineers, or to the experimental aircraft crowd, would have resulted in something that could have been used and enjoyed.

I'm not trying to knock the guy just for the hell of it.

JR
"I'm not trying to knock the guy just for the hell of it.' Really? Your mother would be disgusted by your uneducated and immature comment. You know Nothing about this car, the materials or it's strength. When I read your comment, I had the urge to wipe something off the bottom of my shoe. People like you disgust me also!
Old 10-15-2017, 04:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by j911brick View Post
OK, I see what your talking about. I didn't even notice at first. I looked at pictures of race cars I have owned and they all have a common theme to suspension mounting. This car should be easy enough to fix though.
MOCKED UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You people need to Grow Up or find something else to entertain yourselves!
Old 10-15-2017, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)
D troop 3/5 CAV ,162 AHC

Pay no attn to the knockers as most have not ever done anything.
Yet are proclaimed experts at and in everything.
Perhaps they do reviews for a bar stool somewhere?
Those of us that have actually built from scratch know your hard work and do appreciate it.!
Old 10-15-2017, 04:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterburn 549 View Post
No worries it looks better then mine.........I still give him a "A"
most here can not weld let a lone make , loft, scale, fabricate, spile, locate.
He is doing GREAT !
Exactly! Thank you. The biggest talkers are the ones who have achieved the least. I completed my very extensive Bucket List Long ago and Never bad mouth anyone's ideas or work. Only insecure people do that!
Old 10-15-2017, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by haycait911 View Post
I've been following this. and while I do respect what he's doing.............

in my view it means more to do a less ambitious project very well than a more ambitious project poorly.

if he is looking to sell it in the future, a prospective purchaser would be more impressed with a high quality job than one with obvious failings. the flaws are going to leap out at him. the person that would be interested in a car like this won't be able to live with the obvious issues. which means going back in and fixing them.

IMHO.
Yet Another Guesser! Do you All have crystal balls or do these Guesses come to you naturally? A person who comments without educating themselves first, is a fool!

Jack
Old 10-15-2017, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterburn 549 View Post
I have been a welder for yrs. I would rather see a hot messy weld then a cold weld..
Lots a stuff here criticized will never break. It could be dropped 5 feet....will bend but not fail.
Most here,= and I do mean MOST have never welded pipe or tube. It is quite the challenge for the person doing it the first time.
Even when lots a pros get done its ground to smooth and pretty. Looks like he skiped that part. No big deal.
The only prob I see is the rear upper "A" frame brackets. I have no clue what Porsche did there..
..Looks a tad wrong...but a EZ fix.
If one looks around in the back ground there they will see lots of other cars.....my guess is he will work it all out.
Hats off to him.!
You're right again afterburn. The biggest Mouths here have done Nothing.

The bracket is a Temporary Mock up for coilover measurements and other reasons.

The welds took three days to Look Like That so they replicate 917 welds!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3rbNkhL0Sg&t=531s
Old 10-15-2017, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratpiper71T View Post
Has anyone with the knowledge of what is wrong tried contacting this guy? Seems like a pretty cool and down to earth 'car-guy' to me. That would be the obvious step.
ratpiper If they Did contact me, they would be opening themselves to a critique of their ignorance, immaturity, insecurity and two dimensional thinking. Thinking, is giving them Way too much credit. The most uneducated NEED to speak out so the at least Feel they know something. What they sound like to mature people is more like a Fool!

Jack
Old 10-15-2017, 04:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)
D troop 3/5 CAV ,162 AHC

Your 917 can leal oil in my garage anytime!
Old 10-15-2017, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onboost View Post
Afterburn, glad you put that out there. I'm always amazed at many of the critical points made on this forum by those who have only... well, read about it, or "heard from a friend who," or knows somebody that did, etc.. yet posses no real world hands on experience with the the activity at hand!

I'm just say'n..
BINGO! Welcome to a huge portion of the human race.

Jack
Old 10-15-2017, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)

Garage
are You on Dialup internet?
Old 10-15-2017, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack2052 View Post
Javadog Do you know one of the definitions of a fool? It's a person who opens their mouth to comment on something they know nothing about.

I created an almost exact copy of a 917 chassis allowing for the suspension and drivetrain I used. I even made the ONLY 12 cylinder boxer engine in a 917 replica.
Another definition of a fool might be a person who acts unwisely.

I don't wish to argue with you, as it seems you are all to eager to do so, but I'm going to let my earlier comments stand. Not trying to be mean (really) but there are a number of things that you probably should have done differently. In the end, it's your project and you may do what you wish. Had you wanted to build a more accurate replica, it would have involved constructing your own suspension parts and some of your design errors would not have occurred. Books that document the 917 in detail have been available for more than 40 years. I bought my first one in 1973. There are also a number of other books on generic racecar chassis design from the same era that would have given you enough knowledge to figure things out. it's nothing new, just basic principles derived from our buddies in the aircraft world, who've been building light, strong structures for the better part of a century.

I'm sorry if my comments got under your skin. perhaps you should consider some of them and ponder what aspects of your design gave rise to them. If you want to have a discussion that delves into specific design details, I'd be happy to be a part of that. Should you wish to continue to disparage my long-departed mother and call me names, I'll have to take a pass.

Up to you.

JR
Old 10-15-2017, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksix View Post
are You on Dialup internet?

I'm connected to someone's Wi-Fi. Why?

Last edited by Jack2052; 10-16-2017 at 03:25 PM..
Old 10-16-2017, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)

Attention Administrator!

Quote:

I don't wish to argue with you, as it seems you are all to eager to do so, but I'm going to let my earlier comments stand. Not trying to be mean (really) but there are a number of things that you probably should have done differently. In the end, it's your project and you may do what you wish. Had you wanted to build a more accurate replica, it would have involved constructing your own suspension parts and some of your design errors would not have occurred. Books that document the 917 in detail have been available for more than 40 years. I bought my first one in 1973. There are also a number of other books on generic racecar chassis design from the same era that would have given you enough knowledge to figure things out. it's nothing new, just basic principles derived from our buddies in the aircraft world, who've been building light, strong structures for the better part of a century.

I'm sorry if my comments got under your skin. perhaps you should consider some of them and ponder what aspects of your design gave rise to them. If you want to have a discussion that delves into specific design details, I'd be happy to be a part of that. Should you wish to continue to disparage my long-departed mother and call me names, I'll have to take a pass.

Up to you.

JR
Who the hell do you think you are? Gods gift to car builders? It's a wonder you have lasted on Any forum for long! Your perspective of what you see here is all wrong. People have been kicked off forums for less. Try keeping your negative opinions to yourself!
Old 10-16-2017, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)
D troop 3/5 CAV ,162 AHC

Quote:

Up to you.

JR
Lets see some of your scratch builds.
Anything will do.
Cars planes boats trains helicopters.
Post it up please.
As if right now I do not know your critiquing qualifications.
If you have built from scratch I would then think you would
be of a higher order and know how to pour out your particular kind of posion.
Museums walls are lined with the Rembrandts and the Hugo van der Goes and parading past are the
endless folly of art critics that will not ever be remembered for anything.
Where do you fit in?
Old 10-16-2017, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Wonderful looking build; very much looking forward to it's completion! Congrats Jack.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)
what? me worry?

Six years?

The OP comes back after six year and revives a thread just to insult some people who made comments and critiques

Six years ago...

LOL..

Pelican Parts has jumped the shark..
Rudtners Racing

'69 911 GT-5
'75 914 GT-3
Authorised Haltech seller and installer
Authorised Unichip installer
BBS wheels
Fikse wheels
Redline motors oils
Swepco
1500 hp chassis dyno
Old 10-16-2017, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #97 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimT View Post
Six years?

The OP comes back after six year and revives a thread just to insult some people who made comments and critiques

Six years ago...

LOL..

Pelican Parts has jumped the shark..
Hence the dial up question......
Old 10-16-2017, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #98 (permalink)
abides.

Garage
Jack, do you have a brother named Ronin that is in to Lotus Elises?
Old 10-16-2017, 07:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #99 (permalink)
D troop 3/5 CAV ,162 AHC

After six years the knockers are right here to resume their arrogance with a splash of ignorance.
Like I said B4 to all the critics-
I would like you guys to post a pic of your scratch builds.
You must have at least completed a dollhouse?
Bravo .
Old 10-17-2017, 02:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #100 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: