Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
D troop 3/5 CAV ,162 AHC

Javadawg,
Until you post a pic of one your very own scratch builds, your name calling isometric brain contraction just all BS.
At first, I did not understand why you were/are such a fault finder.
I have arrived at the the answer and a "hard Point " engineer hardly quantifies you as an expert on everything.
You may or may not have a PE , but you have no clue about the hard work involved in the fabrication of
"one Off".
Your tilled slanted juvenile regressions into personalities is a sure denominator as to what you are..
A BIG FAT nothin out in Rambo know it all keyboard land.
Take it somewhere else, perhaps back to 6th grade and brag about a paper aeroplane you folded together?
Old 10-19-2017, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #121 (permalink)

Afterburn, save your breath. You have nothing to contribute to the technical side of the discussion and your negative comments about me serve no purpose. I'm trying to give the guy some ideas how to make his design better, from a structural point of view.

JR
Old 10-19-2017, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #122 (permalink)

Here are some examples of welding a boss into a tube to reinforce it. The first two show two difference views of a boss welded through a tube; the last one shows a boss welded through a tube that has also been reinforced externally by welding additional metal onto the tube surrounding each hole.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #123 (permalink)
CPT KAOS

Garage
I'm subbed for the drama...
Kudos to the builder for embarking on such an ambitious project.
An outsiders take....afterburn, you seem to be mostly a cheerleader and **** disturber with no real value add to any kind of technical discussion.
Javadog, your continued patience and desire to help make the builder's car less likely to kill him and a bus full of kids is admirable.
Jack, let go of some of the ego and absorb some of the sound advice being presented. It doesn't detract from the incredible work you have completed so far and it will only result in a better, safer product.
Erik- RGruppe #743
1980 SportsPurpose 911SC "CPT KAOS"
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/889856-my-new-911sc-journey-get.html
Old 10-19-2017, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #124 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack2052 View Post
Another person who has NOTHING to show for his life speaks.
Apparently my attempt at humour does not meet with your approval.
Fair enough, enjoy your build, looks interesting.
BTw I don't measure my life in the same way you do.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #125 (permalink)

Just visited this thread for the first time and took a quick read through it. The idea, follow-through ability and fabrication seem quite impressive. The engineering, not so much.The OP does not seem to have much capacity for receiving constructive criticism. (Javadog's comments are correct from an engineering design perspective.)
Old 10-19-2017, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #126 (permalink)

Wow Jack!
What a great project. I personally have never built a car. I have built a great deal of furniture from scratch. It's a great hobby and you learn things you could never learn by reading or measuring or looking. You are absolutely fearless, and I commend you for it a great deal. I find my woodworking to be a continuous learning process, and I feel a great sense of pride and accomplishment as a result. I suspect you do too, and you really should.
Criticism is a funny thing. In person, none of these people would seem as negative as they do on the Internet. Because of distance and anonymity, they neither feel the effort and passion of your project, nor restrain the nature of their critique. They're probably good guys, but that's the nature of the Internet. I for one salute you, and wish you great success.
Thanks for sharing,
Dave
2001 996TT
Old 10-20-2017, 05:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #127 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastErik View Post
I'm subbed for the drama...
Kudos to the builder for embarking on such an ambitious project.
An outsiders take....afterburn, you seem to be mostly a cheerleader and **** disturber with no real value add to any kind of technical discussion.
Javadog, your continued patience and desire to help make the builder's car less likely to kill him and a bus full of kids is admirable.
Jack, let go of some of the ego and absorb some of the sound advice being presented. It doesn't detract from the incredible work you have completed so far and it will only result in a better, safer product.
Nobody what to absorb my intent on the upper control arm so I'll spell it out again.

1. I needed to position the upper control arm into a Temporary position to coordinate the drive shaft, tie rod and coil over!!!

2. I had to sell my Miller welder to make a Mortgage Payment so I never got around to finishing that area. The car weighs 1000Ibs less than a Corvette so the wait wouldn't hurt anything.

3. I don't have a Professional Shop so there isn't a wealth of scrape metal around so that has held up my completing it.

4. My plan has Always been to weld a substantial triangular plate to the tubes behind the bracket which will turn those tubes into a solid mass that will transfer the load to the Corvette sub frame and the square tubes at the top. I will also gusset that plate to the square tubes.

5. This corner carries around 600Ibs and those tubes will Not fail.

6. I have a welder available to me now but scrape yards only Buy scrap, they don't sell it. So, when I have the MAJOR concern of getting the engines to run, I will pursue those plates before Java has a stroke.

P.S. The engines should be running in the next two weeks as the wiring is Well underway.

As far as Java in concerned, he never ASKED ME what my Intention Was with my bracket installation!!! That, is the Point of my aggression toward this two Dimensional person who comments without Thinking and being Courteous First. He just started bad mouthing what he saw and proceeded to Show Off with his engineering knowledge.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #128 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMcKenz View Post
Wow Jack!
What a great project. I personally have never built a car. I have built a great deal of furniture from scratch. It's a great hobby and you learn things you could never learn by reading or measuring or looking. You are absolutely fearless, and I commend you for it a great deal. I find my woodworking to be a continuous learning process, and I feel a great sense of pride and accomplishment as a result. I suspect you do too, and you really should.
Criticism is a funny thing. In person, none of these people would seem as negative as they do on the Internet. Because of distance and anonymity, they neither feel the effort and passion of your project, nor restrain the nature of their critique. They're probably good guys, but that's the nature of the Internet. I for one salute you, and wish you great success.
Thanks for sharing,
Dave
Thanks Dave. What kind of engine did you put in your Furniture? ;-)

In my 50 years working with people I have ALWAYS invited and graciously accepted Constructive criticism. However, people like Java look at the world in Two Dimensions and don't Think about what they are looking at. Then just comment on their first impressions.

If I, had seen the same thing He saw, I too would have wondered TO MYSELF why someone who had done such a Great job on everything else would take such a short cut. I would THINK about the application and what was around it. I would then ASK the builder what his intent was and then I would get my answer. OR, I would wonder out loud about what I saw to draw out other opinions if I couldn't reach the builder. I would NOT go into a tirade like he did condemning something he knew nothing about. Big Difference!
Old 11-01-2017, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #129 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter74 View Post
Just visited this thread for the first time and took a quick read through it. The idea, follow-through ability and fabrication seem quite impressive. The engineering, not so much.The OP does not seem to have much capacity for receiving constructive criticism. (Javadog's comments are correct from an engineering design perspective.)
OTTER You Also do not get the point. YES his engineering comments were correct. What I installed there was OBVIOUSLY NOT a finished product so he should have asked me what he was looking at and I would have explained it to him. It was setup to coordinate all the other components that had to be ordered and I have yet to finish what I started for around 20 reasons that were more important than doing it in time for photos.

When I DO have the time, material, welder and Priorities are met, I will complete that area and post it for Java's and Your approval.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #130 (permalink)
D troop 3/5 CAV ,162 AHC

It is quite simple-
People that HAVE NOT ever BUILT FROM scratch do not understand the undertaking, of it at all.
they maybe engineemeers somewhere, Have a computer in front of them ETC.
They know the word "FREEZE IT".
But they have not ever mocked up, or jigged up.
The witness to this is this-
Things that are being produced today have a ZERO allowance for repairs built-in.
The engineers can draw the lines and calculate the numbers (usually) but have no real working skill in the field.
Its a GREAT BIG difference to go from the draft table or more likely the CAD screen to the real deal.
They are not digging into their pockets
or
sourcing materials either.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #131 (permalink)

Wiring has started!

Now that I have addressed all the two dimensional comments regarding my work, I'm will get to the reason I came back.

I have found a very capable tuner who has aggressively started the wiring and is confident the engines will be running in the next two weekends. Nov 4 - 5 or Nov 11-12.

It is 7 years behind schedule while waiting for companies to make computers that will run this EZ30R engine, money and a tuner who could actually do what he said he could do. He is #9.

When I can breath again, I will complete the lose ends, including the rear upper control arm bracket and put another vidfe3o on YouTube, This winter I will finish the body and get it painted. Early next spring I will thoroughly test the car at local tracks and it will be ready for Prime Time!

Thank you to all the adults for your positive and complimentary comments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adocRB6Ntbs&t=35s
Old 11-01-2017, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #132 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
some good drama in here

and here I thought this nonsense was only in the VW community. only difference is you guys used bigger and fancier words.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #133 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack2052 View Post
I have found a very capable tuner who has aggressively started the wiring and is confident the engines will be running in the next two weekends. Nov 4 - 5 or Nov 11-12.
Great news.

I love your property and the project. Keep us posted.

javadog has ruffled my feathers once or twice. He referred to my Bose Acoustimass speakers as intercom speakers. So I bounced that off two audiophile pals and they asked "What's your point?".

Roll with it, he is on your side as blunt as he can appear.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #134 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, The Republic of California. Land of wine and redwoods.
Garage
I can't wait to see those Subies united in song.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Old 11-01-2017, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #135 (permalink)

Garage
Those Subaru units are good power, low BTU's to reject, low weight & small size package, same units in a now operational military drone, (SHhhh)
Kudos to ya sir

869#
AKA "Gemma"
Old 11-01-2017, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #136 (permalink)

I just saw Jack's post on YouTube. Wow so cool. What a project!! We are pulling for you out here in cyberspace. Keep plugging. Subscribed
2017 BMW 328i
Old 11-01-2017, 09:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #137 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kontak View Post
Great news.

I love your property and the project. Keep us posted.

javadog has ruffled my feathers once or twice. He referred to my Bose Acoustimass speakers as intercom speakers. So I bounced that off two audiophile pals and they asked "What's your point?".

Roll with it, he is on your side as blunt as he can appear.
Well, he might have the teeniest of points there
Old 11-01-2017, 09:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #138 (permalink)

The 7 year wait for wiring and a computer may be coming to a head.

Saturday, November 11, 2017 May be the Vroom, Vroom day! The champagne is in the fridge!

Try this and them wait for mine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIoNRrI9hKA&index=71&list=FLFsNbu_AalilSMdtgmxsiPA
Old 11-10-2017, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #139 (permalink)
D troop 3/5 CAV ,162 AHC

WAY TOOOO KooooL.
Congrats !
Old 11-10-2017, 03:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #140 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: