Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Wayne is a businessman. Smart guy, and very likable.

I have spoken to him at a couple of events and he is very down to earth.

Roger Barr is a natural.....real salty old New England mechanic.....I love watching him and listening to his wisdom.
90 Chevy PU Prerunner....1995
RGruppe #79
Old 10-13-2011, 08:01 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

"Has anyone dealt with Wayne Carini from "Chasing Classic Cars?"

Since few probably have and this has just opened the forum to opinions based on his television show, which he likely has little creative control, I will weigh in.

I have to disagree with those that say he does not do quality restorations. When asked by his clients, he seems to produce a nice auto. Moreover, the episodes do not document a restoration in its entirety (i.e. a number of months/years may pass when a complete restoration is documented). He may, at times, make a quick turn around, but to my eye he does so with good intentions and with full disclosure. The show is entitled "Chasing Classic Cars" and does not, to me, imply any more than that. He seems like an affable guy who does well by his numerous and loyal clients. He has lost his ass at times at auction; that is his problem, but he seems to use that as a teaching point for others in the world of classic cars.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:26 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Classic and Exotic Cars For Sale | F-40 Motorsports | Car Dealer in Portland, CT 06480

I usually enjoy CCC.

I fear the Edd & Mike are gone with the new Velocity demographics they are aiming for. I'll miss the other "low brow" British programs that were on HD Theater as well.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:41 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Carbonically Macerated

Garage
So funny---Mike would definitely be out in the cold without Edd--but sometimes those guys are truly just putting the proverbial "lipstick on a pig" or at least that is the way the shows are edited. Seems they usually touch only on the cosmetics and do very little actual mechanical upgrading. Still enjoy watching, though.

CCC also enjoyable if only just to pretend that's me finding some crazy low mileage unmolested Daytona in a dusty old barn somewhere....I bet Wayne likes Porsche's more than he realizes!

I just finished watching the entire 3 days of Mecum Dallas on DVR---can't get enough.

Todd
85 Carrera Targa
"Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained" Thomas E.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:07 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
Love the show but felt bad for the guy who sold Wayne a 1958 356 convertible for 25k in a recent eppisode. What a steal.... Maybe I am just jeolous....
Old 10-14-2011, 07:25 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

I have had the opportunity to meet him twice through the 356 group. He stated that the rumor he doesn't like Porsches is false.

Slideshow > Kittredge
Old 10-14-2011, 08:25 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
With all the crap on tv these days, and being a car guy, it's fun to watch a show like this. He is always talking about picking up cars, or buying cars for his collection, something tells me that this guy is loaded, so to speak. Lives in a log cabin and has a net worth of 15 mil.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:34 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
I like the show too, but I don't see how he can call it a "rumor" - since I saw a show where he specifically said that he tries to avoid Porsches because he's had bad luck with them.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:44 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobluforu View Post
With all the crap on tv these days, and being a car guy, it's fun to watch a show like this. He is always talking about picking up cars, or buying cars for his collection, something tells me that this guy is loaded, so to speak. Lives in a log cabin and has a net worth of 15 mil.
His web site says he lives in a Log Cabin he built 33 yrs ago. However, if you you know to search names/addresses: I have a Google Map of his place on the Ocean directly south of his shop. I won't share here to protect privacy. He's the same age as I am; an old guy!
1962 XKE Roadster (sold)
19 motorcycles
Old 10-14-2011, 08:44 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
I watch the show when I can catch it- I would hesitate to call him a "flipper" in the bad sense of the word- yes, he's a guy who buys cars and sells them for more - but he is a CAR guy- he generally knows what's what with the cars he's dealing with, and the buy-in for many of his cars is significantly higher than the guys we all think of as "Flippers."

The most recent episode I saw was where he buys a garage-find 356 cab ('56, black, in tatty condition), gets it running, and without doing anything else then sells it it to "A good customer who buys theses kinds of cars...in Astoria, NY." I don't know about you guys, but I can think of one dealer in Astoria.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:05 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Loved the crack made by the mechanic when he was getting the black '56 running: "Hey, I didn't know they put fiberglass bumpers on these things in 1956"

wonder if he ever mentioned it to Wayne....

Last edited by adam912; 10-14-2011 at 09:13 AM.. Reason: duplicate signature line
Old 10-14-2011, 09:12 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

I thinks I've seen almost every show. I don't think I have ever seen him sell a car at auction for anything near his clients or himself had wanted. Seems always leaving dissapointed.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:34 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwaggen View Post
I watch the show when I can catch it- I would hesitate to call him a "flipper" in the bad sense of the word- yes, he's a guy who buys cars and sells them for more - but he is a CAR guy- he generally knows what's what with the cars he's dealing with, and the buy-in for many of his cars is significantly higher than the guys we all think of as "Flippers."

The most recent episode I saw was where he buys a garage-find 356 cab ('56, black, in tatty condition), gets it running, and without doing anything else then sells it it to "A good customer who buys theses kinds of cars...in Astoria, NY." I don't know about you guys, but I can think of one dealer in Astoria.
I recall that the show was pretty clear that the car went to Gullwing who in turn sold it to a German buyer for full resto.

I definitely enjoy the show. I haven't met Wayne yet but I have some family in the area that went to his shop just to look around with no intention of buying and were treated very well. I have interacted with Bruce Canepa on many occasions, I guess he's another high-end "flipper" to some but he's also a great guy and a total enthusiast. My 14 year old son and 2 of his friends popped into his place at random one day walking home from school and not only were they not chased off, they were given a full tour including going back into the workshop. That tells me a lot about his character.

I respect these guys. They make a good living doing doing what I do for free, obsessing about cool cars. More power to them.
Voodoo Child

Last edited by AirKuhl; 10-14-2011 at 09:41 AM..
Old 10-14-2011, 09:39 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Agfours

Garage
I think there is a clear distinction of the type of deals he works on - the high end stuff, including resto's, etc. and then those that just need to be moved on to someone who would probably take it on as a resto project. In those cases, I think he's just doing what it takes to present the car best to get it sold, and those repairs are highly correlated to the type of buyer it will end up with (i.e. driver quality cars get driver quality attention, and those that are truly collector cars with high value resto's that are viable for big returns, he generally is the middle man to those who want those projects.) For those cars that get a rattle can, those aren't concourse cars in the first place, nor does he hide that in his presentation. Seems to me like a straight shooter on those fronts.

I don't think his reputuation should suffer for what gets presented as quick turn cars at all - that's the business. If you're going to buy ANY car, I think any of us would go through PPI, etc. including with his cars if you were going to buy one. I would certainly feel better buying from him than 90% of other dealers I've used, and primarily because you 'get to know his style' through the show and what to expect; a luxury you don't have with any other dealer.

I do love the Porsche comments from his mechanic, especially the stuff (don't remember his exact words, but...) on how Porsches truly display that Germanic quality, and that they dictate how the situation is, not taking well to any creative solutions. It was brilliantly put, and i laughed out loud. I wish I had his wisdom and fearlessness as others have stated. I'd watch a show of just him working on stuff, with his witticisms, his deep knowledge of such a wide array of repairs to different marques, etc. My favorite part of the show in every episode.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:26 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage
I've actually met & spoke with Wayne this past spring. Every year he has a spring open house, impromptu car show at his garage. A friend and I went this year. Was an awesome time and he is a very nice guy. Let me put the Carrera on the garage parking lot to show.
He is a Ferrari guy for sure. I think his father brought him up around them when he was a tike.
Looking forward to next year.

O#2
Old 10-14-2011, 02:25 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage
I've known Wayne for over 20 years. He is a generous stand up guy. His body shop has done all my collision work (perfectly) and he's helped me with collector cars I've restored on my own. Wayne is without hesitation the real deal.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:24 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Garage
This "Roger Barr" looks like Wayne's Roger Barr. Hmmmm........ Would explain why Roger can work on everything. Also, there is a reference to Connecticut in the old race car for sale ad.

Individual Car Histories
Old 10-14-2011, 04:27 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by megerian View Post
I like the show too, but I don't see how he can call it a "rumor" - since I saw a show where he specifically said that he tries to avoid Porsches because he's had bad luck with them.
Because of the nature of the business..most flippers wont divulge their real interest..unless it slips out. Bad luck indicates no money made, not that that it is a bad car or marque.

WC is a nice guy, no doubt. My old business partner and best friend (RIP) was a flipper too. When asked.."what is your favorite car?" he would always respond.."the one that you like" ..nothing personal..just business.

It's the name of the game.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:02 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Just watched an episode where he buys a '56 356 Roadster. He seemed to know the marque.

1972 911T/S MFI Survivor
Old 10-15-2011, 12:34 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Old 10-15-2011, 12:34 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: