Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
porschesaur

Different slant on the slant

Pics? Man that would be awesome, just pm'd you my addy. I have the original article (in VW & Porsche??), will locate and scan for da fellus here.

Meanwhile, anyone remember the stretch where 911's were run at Bonneville regularly? Here's a pretty cool attempt and also used as a street car. A 3.0litre twin turbo with modified 911S MFI.

1950 Vincent Rapide - A Red Rapide Experience -

Last edited by Peter Guldan; 11-13-2011 at 07:11 AM..
Old 11-13-2011, 07:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

My bad he built the Rothman's tribute car which is front of the Ruf

Old 11-13-2011, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

If you did not see this when Wayne posted it but here is a link to the Rothman's tribute car off the road.

Rothmans Porsche 911 Rally Car - YouTube
Old 11-13-2011, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
DP935 member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Guldan View Post
Say what! Worked with Wayne, I'm totally dig'n it.
I didn't work with Wayne. I lived in So. Cal. and bought a few slantnose kits from him. Started on the first one in 1988.

Still have a VHS video he gave me for the first kit I bought. I just need to find a place to get it converted.

Wayne his son and his god son were great to deal with. They were very nice and helpful people to answer questions.

I think it was around the mid 90's he told me it would be his last trip to Pomona.

Thanks for starting this post. I started building that slantnose in 1988 and have been into them ever since. I have 2 factory slants now and still love them to this day.

Porsche Slantnose M505 M506 group on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/719995181372494/
Old 11-14-2011, 06:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
porschesaur

Howdy sir,

Little late on slanting mine – 1986 – got side tracked (more poor) with 2 TR6’s, a 75 914 2.0 and a wavering eye towards getting back into street bikes. Hard to believe this whole era started nearly 33 years ago and some here were too young – not born yet – to remember it.

As owners/enthusiasts from this time have often moved on disposing of cars, magazines or any interest in recounting it verbally, what you're mainly left with are books as reference for the next generation. These are more documentary oriented and don’t capture the nuances/context/culture like magazines for which the attendant ads and other car tests give you a far better feel. That's why rather than cropping these pics out clinically and posting, instead throwing the whole yellow dead sea scrolls on here for younger viewers to recapture the scene. It was reaaall groovy for some of us back then....and still is for the more energetic ones who remain.

At any rate, when looking for my article on that Chicago area RUF SW car (it originally had bare alloy RUF wheels I think) I came across one of those epiphany moments in print. In 1984 you could not buy any U.S. spec vehicle off of a dealer lot that was remotely a fire breather, and mainstream publications couldn’t devote their entire magazines to more titillating grey market imports so in a concession to advertisers drummed out articles on Olds Calais Supremes and rebirths of “legendary” Olds 442’s.

Of the illigits in plastic the very last word in slant noses was DP, not only for the quality but their racing connection through Kremer. More on them in a later post. I imported just the bare tail from DP for my car from Germany in 1985 for $1,000. To put it in perspective, my 43K mile 75 914 cost $2,000 in 83. So, as a DP devotee, imagine opening your now stupor inducing Car & Driver to find the article below.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
DP935 member

I bought my 79 935DP in 1991. It needed restoration now so I have slowly been working on it. 3 years ago I went to Chicago to buy a NOS front bumper/spoiler with headlights from a guy who use to be a big DP shop back in the 80's.

I just love these cars too and the good part is I remember all the fun they were in the 80's.

Thanks for posting this article. I have it in a box with some other mags but haven't read it for years.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

porschesaur

DP series 1....1.5, Screaming Yellow Zonker

Howdy carguy,

79 eh? Your avatar shows the more US oriented, what I call the series 1.5 retaining full bumpers with lower valance alteration front and rear which were easier to federalize (DOT impact) and started showing up here in larger numbers in 83ish. I'll scan/post an article on it/one just like it later. Anywho, in 79 it was the lightest one of them all, the series one and who can forget this monster below when it burst on the scene. The Screaming Yellow Zonker. Alas, these were polarizing vehicles, either coddled by their owners as artwork or beaten to death in an effort to extract the speed they visually conveyed, the Zonker fell squarely in the latter. In 86 my crew at the time made a very spirited drive (the VHS laying in someone's closet now) down to a gas-station based used car lot in a bad part of town to view it for sale, freshly arrived from Texas. With the exception of its wild exterior/interior, all its charms were gone, even the motor now replaced with a tired non-intercooled 3.0, it even lacked a title and DOT/EPA releases. Gotta wonder where it ended up.

In any event, in 85, Lloyd Hawkins (part time IMSA racer who showed up at the 86 Road Atlanta Walter Mitty with his N. Orleans contingent with an 18 wheeler load of 930's which they flogged for 2 days on, and sometimes off, the track) had a series I kit for $10K. After my experience with this partially structural fiberglass 1956 Saab D Sports Racer as my only driver back in 74, very reluctantly passed on this offer and went steel for practicality. If I had the room now, I'd certainly have one. Unlike Gemballa's and such, the most favorable performance aspect of them is lightness. This one at Pat Williams Racing right now weighs only 2560lbs with a huge motor, 934 exhaust with a turbo the size of a basket ball and a heavy 6 speed conversion. The bodywork quality on it is sensational, you can't hide anything when shooting one black. And if anyone's wondering whether that tail, front valance and other easily repop'd items are real on their car. Look on the backside of the bodywork, there should be very little evidence of overlaying multiple sheets of glass, any inlaid fasteners metric, it will be of extremely tight weave and there'll be a DP logo in blue or red(?) under clear gelcoat.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
závodník 'X'

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chgoburbs View Post
I know who owns the guards RUF car in chicago and it has been in storage for many years. I have been inside it and it is a flawless piece of P car history. It is owned by the same person who built the Martini Rally replicar that Wayne posted. I can provide pics to anyone interested.
Fun reading this thread. There's also another wihite early original slant-nose RUF in Lake County, north of Chicago. To protect the owners privacy, I won't reveal his identity although probably some PCA folks know him. Anyhow it's in exceptional condition. Lights are built into the bumpers, blue interior is stock but I think he installed later year 911 seats.

Nice fellow. I purchased an original 1983 Audi Quattro from him.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Registered

Porsche Crest

20+ year PCA member

Many Cool Porsches, Projects& Parts, Vintage BMX bikes too

http://www.bvdmotorsports.com
Active Rennlist Member.
http://members.rennlist.com/racerbvd/
See blog for my For Sale & Wanted List.
http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=337&
Old 11-16-2011, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
DP935 member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerbvd View Post

I love this one Byron. It is a 3.2 non turbo M491 built DP. It has been for sale a few times over the last 5-6 years.

I love the black/lipstick color combo.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Why would they go to all the $$$ to build a DP and leave it with a Carrera engine? Talk about a poser! I noticed on many of these the intercooler appears stock, so why the huge tail? Just for looks?
That black one in post #27 is to die for! Gorgeous!
Old 11-16-2011, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
DP935 member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
Why would they go to all the $$$ to build a DP and leave it with a Carrera engine? Talk about a poser! I noticed on many of these the intercooler appears stock, so why the huge tail? Just for looks?
That black one in post #27 is to die for! Gorgeous!
A guy named Steve did own that one and I think he was from somewhere down in your area.

I am changing the color of my 79 DP from brown to black. The black ones look awesome, heck I think they all look awesome...except in brown.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by kycarguy 935 View Post
A guy named Steve did own that one and I think he was from somewhere down in your area.

I am changing the color of my 79 DP from brown to black. The black ones look awesome, heck I think they all look awesome...except in brown.
Is it UPS Brown ??

20+ year PCA member

Active Rennlist Member.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
porschesaur

Howdy chaps,

Byron, you know what makes this one and the absolute signature of DP? That windshield. Slant conversions, tails, front spoilers etc..came from all directions back in the 80’s but no one else stepped up to make this. Brian, DP devoted their expertise to bodywork and made no bones about it as you’ll see from this early article on their operation/background below. Their early performance mod’s were a bit primitive consisting of cams, raising static compression, maybe a larger poor flowing intercooler and welding a restriction into the exhaust snail to raise focused gas velocity for earlier boost onset. All of this proved an Achilles heel in the generally hotter environment of the US where these cars ended up and they often grenaded. Though their race involvement with Kremer went a ways back it was only later they collaborated on street vehicles, even to the point that Kremer grey markets here were essentially DP’s with Kremer mechanicals.

Mind you, this was the first generation CIS-based performance mods on 930’s which all changed when real engine management arrived with purpose built motors around exemplified by the RUF CTR.

So, how about a little DP history? This was my first sighting of Ekkehard’s personal hammer GL*AD 935 with that single wiper extended windshield and brake fans smoothing out the side visuals on this machine to make it look glued to the tarmac.

Last edited by Peter Guldan; 11-24-2011 at 05:07 PM..
Old 11-23-2011, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
porschesaur

Last edited by Peter Guldan; 11-23-2011 at 06:56 PM..
Old 11-23-2011, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Registered

Great read, thanks Peter and all!
1976 930( peru red usa) ,1980 euro sc, 1974 914. 1997 M3, , 2004 Duramax 3500 quad cab dually . 2004 2500 HD Gas 1989 Yamaha xt 350. 2004 Turbo Pepperwagon, 1976 Chevrolet C 60 Rollback towtruck. 2006 x3 a few old tractors, and tons of tools
Old 11-24-2011, 05:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Registered

20+ year PCA member

Active Rennlist Member.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
83 911 Production Cab #10

Garage
After watching 4 of the video, I finally saw a car that was moving as oppose to the guy moving around the car.

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Unslanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger
Old 11-24-2011, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
porschesaur

Howdy Byron,

Thanks for that vid, that sound does bring back the memories. The sound of that muffler back then had the same effect on me as a cobra transfixed in front of a snake charmer. I had attempted to mimick that look/sound by purchasing a chromed section of a CJ 7 roll over bar and grafting it onto my single outlet 77 Euro muffler in 1984 when I was still running a 3 litre, and was going nearly deaf from running a dump tube. No cigar, as bogus then as it sounds being described now.

So, after buying that new 3.3 Euro motor and tired of the stock twin pipe, bought a new DP muffler in 1991 and ran it while my car was CIS till about 7 years ago when I went EFI with this Pat Williams package motor. Probably sourced from Kremer along with I/C's It was a beautifully executed extraordinarily heavy (to reduce droning) piece of polished stainless and obviously from the era where the largest cold snail was a K27. When I bought one of those wild and crappy K29 lashups from P-Hut in Phoenix years ago I had to "clearance" it, if you will, for the cold snail by hammering a dent in the pipe. One thing about these is they are about 400ish hp limiting component in that air pump called your engine. Put them on any strong EFI 930 and you can turn your headers into a hot plate element of back pressure and 400 at the wheels is it and that gotten with much misery from your motor if left in place for track events. Borla XR-1's take car of that.

Anywho, this DP body configuration - the most balzy looking but the least aero. At the track you can hear one of these approaching on a straight and the only sound is the hiss/roar of air being compressed and blugeoned out of the way...in complete contrast to a narrow body CTR doing the same.

And Brian, I'm going to swing by PWR tomorrow and shoot some pics of that lovely black DP and post here. It's got some pretty groovy goods under the deck lid.

Last edited by Peter Guldan; 11-24-2011 at 05:22 PM..
Old 11-24-2011, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Garage

my buddies widebody slantnose. fun car......

Old 11-24-2011, 06:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: