Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
porschesaur

Howdy Lyon,

Though AIR made those replica slatted grill 930Sspoilers, they still included those extremely fragile driving lights. Never determined what their OEM application was but made by Hella, they were of superb quality but their lenses way to fragile to be this low to the ground. 930S driving lights were very hard (expensive) to get new then and nearly impossible now.

So, knew I had an article on the twin to Ojai's car somewhere and dragging out a box of Compagnolo equipment to resurrect my very first custom make bike from back in 1971 stumbled across this bin containing publications from a long deceased rag known for very good paper stock and whimsically, at best, reporting within.

What's groovy about this piece is you get some idea of the scale of these fenders compared to a 930. The part about being made out of aluminum by AJR sounds a bit odd.

1950 Vincent Rapide - A Red Rapide Experience -

Last edited by Peter Guldan; 11-27-2011 at 06:20 AM..
Old 11-26-2011, 06:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
porschesaur

mods to match DP looks these days...

Howdy Chaps,

Brian had mentioned some of these DPís looking a bit poser-ish what with stock intercoolers and all. Expectations have changed dramatically in 30 years. Where a bullet proof 300hp was pretty much the benchmark back then, and an iffy 350hp if one disconnected the fuel pump cutout and turned the boost up, the bar has moved dramatically since. This gent bought this DP in 1985, the advent of engine mgmt. opened a world of possibilities laterÖto many in fact, and thatís how this machine ended up at Pat Williams Racing here recently as sort of a kit needing to be gone through front to back and finally gotten running properly.

The kind of modís more suited to a DPís appearance these days if youíre committed? 3.8 litre (huge) single , twin plug, Bobís custom heat exchanger equipped headers and ITBís as used on both the PWR 3.0 twin turbo and 3.4 twin turbo race cars, water intercooling, GT2 6 speed conversion and a semi-race suspension. At the moment this piece weighs only 2,550 with no fluids. Will post some dyno videos to his channel on youtube when itís tuned.

Whatís impressive here is the exceptional quality of this bodywork, black being an unforgiving color for irregularities. This model retaining the aggressive look of the snout nosed variants but having less front overhang, more practical. Making modern wheels/tires fit these bodies designed for 15ís was challenging requiring special studs/spacers for offset enabling foul free suspension movement.

1950 Vincent Rapide - A Red Rapide Experience -
Old 12-05-2011, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Garage
Awesome photography Peter.
Marc
Old 01-06-2013, 09:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Guldan View Post
Howdy John,

His/their welding skill, never in question to which anyone watching his video would attest. Butt welding a John Deere fender grade piece of metal in the form of that headlight bucket to our thin fenders borders on art.

At any rate, in 1985 there was no Pelican Parts. After ....uh, bending over at the local Porsche dealer's parts counter in 1982 to buy a pair of factory 73 Carrera fender flares for my lovingly bastardized 73S, Kermit, I vowed never to return there again. So thereafter it was mail order AJR who had a very large presence in the Porsche scene. As happens to so many of us with obsessed lazer focus on a particular hobby, my casual call to AJR for a fuel filter in 85 resulted in an unusual purchase. A complete brand new Euro 930 engine on a pallet. This was a theft recovery from a Special Wishes car stolen off the lot of their vendor providing grey market testing for the EPA.

So, how consumed was the motoring public with anything turbo back then? It wasn't enough to have the word turbo associated with every product, even that fancy roll of TP in your hand had the words Turbo Wipe in the exact same font/script as the badge on your whale tale.

Rags more associated with AMC Pacer and Buick Regal testing were getting in the fray as you can see here with this monstrous Motor Trend test.

Wow I remember this issue, matter of fact I think I have it in my magazine foot locker! Memories!
06 BMW 330I
Personal Qoute: "Do whatever makes you feel good"
Old 01-07-2013, 05:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

My uneducated Porsche belief is that:

If the 1974 930 was the 1973 RSR race car for the street,
then the slant nose 930 was the 935 race car for the street!

I can't see it any other way.
(especially considering that the 944 was the 924 GT for the street).
My 73RSR build http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/893954-saving-73-crusher-again.html
Old 01-07-2013, 06:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
1983 slope conversion

Thanks for filling in the missing history of slope nose conversions. My 930 is an '83 purchased from a disbarred & bankrupt lawyer in Wichita, Ks; previously Big Red Imports in Tulsa; possibly a stint in North Carolina, and likely imported by Forest Lane Porsche/ Jack Baer in Dallas. It was Slate Blue Metallic. In about 1988 it was taken apart for a color change to Copenhagen Blue and a slant nose conversion. The conversion and paint were mostly completed, but then the PO lawyer got in trouble with IRS and possibly DEA. Car was "abandoned" in a body shop and later a mechanics shop for 13 years. The car has'nt been driven on the road since !

The slope nose parts appear very similar to the Golden Coach parts in the documentary photos; however, my head light opens have no bottom bucket. Its possible these were separate pieces that got lost (along with many other pieces during the cars "lost years".

I'm still looking for headlight doors and "bottom pan" if anybody has these parts.

My personal preference is the stock fenders so I may go that route and sell the slope nose parts.

Chris Steineger
Kansas City
Old 02-21-2013, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

I have no idea what history my '77 with a slant conversion has, but it's a pretty good steel conversion. Pretty sure it has RX7 light conversions. I love this car.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
Registered

thanks for resurrecting this, need to read the whole thing.

I am at the point of having my 930 conversion torn down to the tub for full body/engine/gearbox/etc rebuild.

it has the Golden Coachwork body kit. I plan to research and figure out how to create low profile LED headlights to replace the Mazda squares. or possiblly install in the front valance.

ideas anyone?
86 944 turbo my new DE/track car.
78 930 clone project car.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
My car was done in the 80s. All parts ordered from Golden Coachworks. I love my car. Just went threw Brakes, Suspension, Motor and trans. Going to have for many years to come.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
Registered

Don't forget to include the Gemballa Avalanche. The epitome of 80's excess. I loved the factory and DP flachbau's. They are all just so dated. The factory cars still hold some appeal to me, but the rest are just ridiculous looking. The classic 911 is still relevant. The slantnose? not so much.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
This is my '77 Turbo slantnose. I built the car myself in 1991 using Golden Coachworks conversion parts. I used the aluminum boxed rockers that were offered at the time. I used a Lemke front valence (no longer available) for use with a Lemke 100cm front oil cooler. I have since modified the Mazda headlight mechanisms to eliminate headlight shake.

Old 02-23-2017, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Justin@Athens
Sub'd for the love of Flachbau!
1999 x2 Boxster (sold)
2006 Cayman S (my daily)
Old 02-23-2017, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)
Registered

Reading and re-reading these magazine articles (and dreaming) back in the day is what started it all for me. (esp the Bahn Stormers)
Thanks
'11 Cayenne
Old 02-24-2017, 09:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
a.k.a. G-man

Garage

32C Member #41

1986 911 3.2 Carrera (not stock)
1974 911 2.7 9114102230 SOLD
Old 02-25-2017, 03:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)
Registered

Great read, thanks for posting. I bought my '79 DP back in '06 and started a website shortly after that to put all the information floating around on the web in one place. I concentrated on getting copies of all the US publications with articles on the DP. You have a couple of article I don't. If you have a site I could copy these, with your permission, I'd like to ad them to my site. Or, if you have scans you could send me.
Here's a link to my "Resources" page with articles I have.
The DP935 Registry: Resources
thanks,
Harold
Old 02-25-2017, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by garm View Post
I have no idea what history my '77 with a slant conversion has, but it's a pretty good steel conversion. Pretty sure it has RX7 light conversions. I love this car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911tracker85 View Post
thanks for resurrecting this, need to read the whole thing.

I am at the point of having my 930 conversion torn down to the tub for full body/engine/gearbox/etc rebuild, it has the Golden Coachwork body kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911 SLANT View Post
My car was done in the 80s. All parts ordered from Golden Coachworks. I love my car. Just went threw Brakes, Suspension, Motor and trans. Going to have for many years to come
Quote:
Originally Posted by dap930 View Post
This is my '77 Turbo slantnose. I built the car myself in 1991 using Golden Coachworks conversion parts. I have since modified the Mazda headlight mechanisms to eliminate headlight shake.

The heck with the naysayers! Enjoy your slantnose be it a conversion or factory 505/506.. who cares!

My first one was a factory DP built on a 78 Euro Targa.. what a fun car..

- 2nd one was a was a Golden Coach conversion which I had done to a very high standard on a 77 930,

- Next one was a factory Special Wishes on a 84 (I think) Euro 930 .. really nice car should have kept it.

-Current slant, which I had mothballed while I played with the Special Wishes car, is the 2nd 78 930 produced for the US. The original owner sent it to AJR conversion for a slantnose conversion using factory parts.. ironically except the headlights. From what I understand, he did not want the tub drilled/altered for the factory lift arms, and he wanted rectangular lights.. go figure?

Point is I really don't care.. I've had fun with each.. and the current one is totally 80's (except the wheels) and totally Boss! Luv It!!

Enjoy the ride fellas!
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!

Last edited by onboost; 02-26-2017 at 07:48 AM..
Old 02-26-2017, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)
War Vet

Garage
Couldn't disagree more regarding relevance....

MattR

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcoastline View Post
Don't forget to include the Gemballa Avalanche. The epitome of 80's excess. I loved the factory and DP flachbau's. They are all just so dated. The factory cars still hold some appeal to me, but the rest are just ridiculous looking. The classic 911 is still relevant. The slantnose? not so much.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)
Kessel run in 12 parsecs!

Garage
Cool car!
Old 02-26-2017, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Love the slant nose
Old 03-27-2020, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)
Registered

I guess I am one of the few who has always thought the slant nose 930s are the best-looking 911s.

Don't get me wrong, I love 911s very deeply, or I wouldn't be here. But, I sort of tolerate the looks of some 911 generations to get German engineering excellence.

To me, the very early cars in particular look too narrow-hipped. It takes at least an RS or SC/Carrera rear flare to balance out the proportions, to my eye, and RSR/930 flares are the sweet spot.

The 911 then begins to have the Italian-caliber looks that go along with its engineering excellence - the best of both worlds. Drawing cars as a kid, a wedge was always the best look. The slant nose makes the 911 a wedge.

Again, this is just one man's opinion. I know the guys over at 911S registry will be aghast...

Old 03-27-2020, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: