Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
porschesaur

Slant Nose - The (your?) Illigit's

Howdy Chaps,

So its pitch black out, you hit the light switch and up slowly ratchets a couple of feeble rectangular sealed beams out of an old Chevy Cavalier. And you wonder, who coulda made this lashup!

If it was the 80's it was likely this guy, the most prolific producer of slant nose conversions in the U.S.

1950 Vincent Rapide - A Red Rapide Experience -
Old 11-10-2011, 01:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
My personal preference is that I don't care for the slantnose 911. However, i do like the slantnose and popups on my 944.
'16 BMW R Nine T, '17 BMW G310R, '21 BMW R1250RS
Old 11-10-2011, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Love the slantnose! Thank you so much for sharing these photos!

Far From Stock 1985 Euro 3.2
Old 11-10-2011, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
porschesaur

Howdy sir,

It was a 70's 80's kinda thing, you had to be there.

If it didn't look like a Turbo or was slanted...or preferably both.... well then, you just weren't happen'n.

Last edited by Peter Guldan; 11-10-2011 at 02:12 PM..
Old 11-10-2011, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Why do I feel that the next quote or picture will be related to Vanilla Ice?
Old 11-10-2011, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus Berges View Post
lol
Old 11-10-2011, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Carrera Cab Connoisseur

Garage
Excellent pics! I have heard somewhere that the original 930 Slantnose rear fender vent spacers were made of wood. Can anyone confirm that?
Dave.
2003 BMW 330Ci MSport Individual
1973 Mercedes 350 Custom Convertible
Old 11-10-2011, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyne11 View Post
Excellent pics! I have heard somewhere that the original 930 Slantnose rear fender vent spacers were made of wood. Can anyone confirm that?
Dave.
I recall they were made of wood as well. I read it some place I just don't remember which publication.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
porschesaur

Howdy Dave,

I was in London on business in the early 80's staying at ...I'm going to say the Old Cumberland hotel on the corner of Edgeware across from Hyde Park and took a pic of an early Special Wishes car around the corner.

Way funky, an early louverless slant, thin rub strip for bumper, quad rectangular headlights in the lower rectangular shaped front valance that didn't follow the car's hood/fender perimeter profile. The rear brake vents slats were heavily lacquered-looking stuff on wood, the grain of such obvious.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
porschesaur

wooden strakes

Howdy chaps,

New I had these images somewhere.

Anywho, In the early 80’s, 3 street oriented slants stood out, Walter Wolf’s barely legal blue K3, the Screaming Yellow Zonker (DP 1) as featured in VW & Porsche World, and this, the benchmark for Special Wishes vehicles up to this point. A 930 built as a tribute to M. Ojai of TAG for his support of Porsche’s F1 efforts. Though more luxury oriented with top of the line Recaro’s, brown and cream leather/electric everything, workmanship on it was superb, it was equipped with center locks. Those massive rear fender extensions had the 3 brake duct strakes in wood.

Like so many cars of that era it made its way to the U.S. was “loosely” federalized and I last saw it at auction online about 7(?) years ago still wearing its tacked on turn signals on the rear fenders.

There was another one of these done in guards red, then modified by RUF and ended up in the Chicago area.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
'82 SC TL

Garage
Niiiiice! I'm all about the "80's! Ft. Lauderdale & Miami around the mid to late "80's had quite a few awesome looking slant noses & DP's cruising the streets as though they were like any other creature (I mean )car. Like one night I saw a Pantera Group 5 (with those wild fender extensions & flares) hustling along behind & around a DP 935 & further up a silver slantnose flying on A1A. What a memory. I like the look personally but only if it's quality work with the round light set up & as far as to have the oil cooler in the right rear fender to complete a factory semi-functioning look-a-like.

'89 Anniv. sil/linen very pretty miss her
'88 928S4 5spd. blu/blu cmplt.SS exh.chipped lowered
Old 11-11-2011, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
DP935 member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Guldan View Post
Howdy Chaps,

So its pitch black out, you hit the light switch and up slowly ratchets a couple of feeble rectangular sealed beams out of an old Chevy Cavalier. And you wonder, who coulda made this lashup!

If it was the 80's it was likely this guy, the most prolific producer of slant nose conversions in the U.S.
Yes I knew Wayne and build a few of these cars back in 1988 and 89 and I think another one around 1992.

It brings back some really good memories.

Porsche Slantnose M505 M506 group on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/719995181372494/
Old 11-11-2011, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
porschesaur

Say what! Worked with Wayne, I'm totally dig'n it. So let's get started. Before I build out a literature directory on SmugMug to link to here, will upload the first thing that comes to mind to give the whippersnappers here a feel for the era.

First off, in 78 Auto Motor and Sport mentioned Porsche contemplating making a production slant as referenced in the May 1978 issue of All About Porsche (in the U.S.)

By the mid 80's with the movement in full swing, for slant nose conversions in the U.S. there was a pecking order and it started at the top with Allan Johnson Racing. They initially started with grey market 930S imports but it was one thing to wisk a personal exemption car through but by 1985 the Fed's were onto shoddy conversion shops so doing EPA/DOT's for late model cars became too much of a pain and AJR couldn't meet demand. They started doing their own. Below is their glossy (sexy?) fold out pamphlet for a delicious burgunday machine. Their mid west counter part was Derek Daly. Y'all may remember him providing color commentary for CART races as a retired single seat driver of some charm but jinxed with middling equipment at the track.

Down the food chain was our dear man Wayne. Besides the Mazda motor thing, the immediate identifier of his approach is the lower outer perimeter of the headlight bucket rises off of the smile more than the factory units which slope nicely downward here. This was the working man's slant nose conversion. Below here was fiberglass confections starting with AIR and no doubt ending with.. Folger.

And to canamfan, (sniff) those couldn't be Gotti's are they? I'm fix'n to really get nostalgic becuase wheels back then sent the message on your piece. Race types (aspirants) with jingle installed modular BBS's, broke dreamers like myself, BBS one piece. But if you were looking to give your newly purchased 225 x 15 front/335 x 15 rear Pirelli's P7's a whirl down Atlantic blvd in front of the clubs in South Beach there was only one set of rims, the DUB's of the 80's, Goooootttttiiis.

Here in Memphis, we had the pleasure of having one of the original grey markets (will scan and post) serviced by then newly opened Memphis MotorWerks. It was... and I'm hesitant to say in light of the Penn State coaching scandal, owned by Dr. Fudge. Guards Red with tan leather on everything including the door lock surrounds, with full dash to floor console, it had been EPA'd with a cat off of a Pinto! The resulting choked sound was a high stacatto tenor and this machine had no top end...that soon rectified. It was a full 930S dispensing with the boost recirc, had the larger intercooler and K27, this in 1986.

Last edited by Peter Guldan; 11-11-2011 at 06:29 PM..
Old 11-11-2011, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Thanks for the info. My 83 930 slant conversion may well be A GCC job. Some paperwork I have with it indicates it passed thru Scottsdale Porsche, Rex Classic and Exotic cars, and was inspected at AJR.

Whoever did the welding on it was very skilled, it's beautiful work.

John
Old 11-12-2011, 03:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
I would love to be able to buy that shift knob now.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
porschesaur

Howdy John,

His/their welding skill, never in question to which anyone watching his video would attest. Butt welding a John Deere fender grade piece of metal in the form of that headlight bucket to our thin fenders borders on art.

At any rate, in 1985 there was no Pelican Parts. After ....uh, bending over at the local Porsche dealer's parts counter in 1982 to buy a pair of factory 73 Carrera fender flares for my lovingly bastardized 73S, Kermit, I vowed never to return there again. So thereafter it was mail order AJR who had a very large presence in the Porsche scene. As happens to so many of us with obsessed lazer focus on a particular hobby, my casual call to AJR for a fuel filter in 85 resulted in an unusual purchase. A complete brand new Euro 930 engine on a pallet. This was a theft recovery from a Special Wishes car stolen off the lot of their vendor providing grey market testing for the EPA.

So, how consumed was the motoring public with anything turbo back then? It wasn't enough to have the word turbo associated with every product, even that fancy roll of TP in your hand had the words Turbo Wipe in the exact same font/script as the badge on your whale tale.

Rags more associated with AMC Pacer and Buick Regal testing were getting in the fray as you can see here with this monstrous Motor Trend test.

Last edited by Peter Guldan; 11-12-2011 at 07:02 AM..
Old 11-12-2011, 06:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Cool

A lot of them use RX7 head lights too, I was at a friends shop, and another buddy, who have a slant nose converted 930s, car was parked right next to a RX7 of the same era, and both looked a lot alike from the front, so after that I would tease him about his RX7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus Berges View Post
He had HSM Racing
do a lot of work on his pimped out Turbos, and I heard some funny stories about him & his cars..
Nothing says "Gag Me With a Spoon" like this...

20+ year PCA member

Many Cool Porsches, Projects& Parts, Vintage BMX bikes too

http://www.bvdmotorsports.com
Active Rennlist Member.
http://members.rennlist.com/racerbvd/
See blog for my For Sale & Wanted List.
http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=337&
Old 11-12-2011, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
porschesaur

Howdy Chaps,

From the era of the now infamous Andre Agassi quote, image is everything.

Gemballa Avalanches started at about $250k federalized and was the first 930 I saw tip the scales over 3,400lbs. That no doubt helped by a 6 tip exhaust cobbled out of the remnants of 3 originals.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

I know who owns the guards RUF car in chicago and it has been in storage for many years. I have been inside it and it is a flawless piece of P car history. It is owned by the same person who built the Martini Rally replicar that Wayne posted. I can provide pics to anyone interested.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Also the red missing car in Chicago is all steel including the wing

Old 11-12-2011, 09:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: