Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Finally registered with Pelican- Introduction

Just want to let everyone here know how much help I've gotten from "creeping" this forum over the last 8 years. Thanks everyone. I'm now going down the slippery slope of the 3.6 club. Any and all suggestions would be helpful. As of right now I have a '96 Vram with only26k miles on it sitting in my garage waiting for the full kit from Steve Timmins. The donor engine has been sitting in a fellow PCAers garage for almost a decade. I was able to talk him into parting with it. Since it`s a `96 with driveblok and soldered in chips, I`m having Timmins remap the DME ($995). More info to follow. Oh, here`s a few pics of my car.

Tom

Old 12-15-2011, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Very nice. Keep us updated as you progress.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Nice.

Welcome to the group.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 12-15-2011, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Welcome - she's a beauty.

'87 Targa Carrera 3.2 - Fabspeed Cat Bypass, M&K Muffler, SW Chip
Venetian Blue
Old 12-15-2011, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Welcome - Nice looking car for sure. You'll the 3.6. We need more pictures when you get started on your project.
1960 Mercedes 190SL
1962 XKE Roadster (sold) - 13 motorcycles
Old 12-15-2011, 03:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
3.6 conversion

Thanks for the kind words. These cares really are the best drivers cars -Tons of feedback and a huge reward factor when you drive it right. While I have the 2 engines sitting in my garage I'm able to take some time to prep. First order was initial cleaning (10 years of dust), remove SAI pump, and fan pulley. I painted the fan with a galvanizing flat Gray paint. I also ordered the wiring harness repair kit for the top of the engine ($117.00 directly from Porsche!!). My harness is perfect because of the low miles but I didn't want to take any chances. I read about the throttle cable choices (good and bad) and thought why not set it up similiar to the 3.0l engine? I used the cradle from the 3.0 and it bolted right up to the 3.6 (a little grinding on post). I then bolted the lever/ball from the 3.6 cruise control to the 3.0 lever. Now I've got all rods just like the original setup. I just received the bushings from Pelican for the linkages (mine are almost non existent).

I almost forgot, check out my version of the RS tube. I took it from the 3.0l's heating system. I had to add a 3" piece cut from the 3.6l system.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Welcome and good luck with your project. You have joined what I believe to be the best Porsche forum on the internet. As you already know you will find experts, experienced DIYers and everyday Joe's on here that are willing to help with ANY problem you will run across. Add the ability to buy Porsche parts from a great host and you just can't lose being a member of the Pelican community. Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Nice,..watm welcomes..

BEST!

Doyle
25th Anniversary Special Edition
Middle Georgia
Old 12-17-2011, 03:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
You Georgia guys are lucky. Every time I turn a wrench on this car I'm pleasantly reminded where this car spent most of it's life. Up here in the "salt belt" things tend to seize up underneath. I've never had a bolt or nut give me trouble on this car!
Old 12-17-2011, 03:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Engine harness installed today . Also installed the throttle linkage bushings.
I'm going to be ordering the rest of the conversion parts Monday.
The Happy Crab looks like the easiest and best muffler. I have a small Mocal cooler in the front passenger fender. What would be the largest cooler I could install in the passenger side?
Here's a list of parts ordered so far:

1 3 short, 4 10mm nuts, 4 10mm washers
1 2 fabricated Stainless spacers, 2 washers, 2 5.5" bolts, 2 nuts
1 Sheetmetal Modification (No cost option -w- kit)
1 Crossmember reshaped, reinforced, strengthened (supply core)

1 Flywheel for 3.6 conversion - 915
1 9 FW bolts
1 9 Clutch Bolts/Lockwashers
1 1 pilot bearing

1 993 Wiring harness with DME relay connector, circuit breaker
1 Fuse and fuse holder
1 DME Relay

1 KL Fuel Filter Early and SC through 1980
1 Fuel Line - filter to Injection
1 Fuel Line - Return (to barb connector)

1 915 Throttle cable assembly, with adjustable guide
1 Belcrank - Modified (supply core, no cost option -w- kit)

1 993 Oil Feed Line, Stainless -w- o-ring M8x30 allen bolt, washer
1 Factory Scavenge Oil SSI Line 1 (?) Engine Case to "J" Line
1 Factory Scavenge Oil SSI Line 2 (J) "?" to thermostat

1 915 PowerPack Clutch Kit ($795 elsewhere)
1 993 US VRAM DME Reprogramming-Euro Performance FVD
1 PS Blockoff Includes 993 sheetmetal blockoff template
1 993 K&N Filter (Specify if VRAM Temp Hole)
1 993 Coil Braket - Welded Option
1 Shroud Blockoff kit

1 993 Popular Options Discount
1 Single Pulley Alternator Conversion
1 Gates "Green Stripe" / Napa XL extreme duty belt - reccomended
1 Temp Sensor Extension 12"
2 964 Vacuum
2 Secondary Air Injection Plugs

Old 12-17-2011, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Scotiagreg

Garage
I will be watching

Subscribed.

To my fellow Pelicanites. Please share any helpful tips with Tom but if you could hold back just a couple I would be grateful. Tom is my nemesis at our local track and I can hardly keep up with him now. My 3.6 vs. his 3.0. I don't like where this is heading. Is it possible to put forced induction on my 3.6 conversion?
Old 12-22-2011, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
beautiful car my friend........
Old 12-22-2011, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Welcome

I suggest a large supply of Alexander Keith's (or perhaps a Granite best Bitter)

Has the engine not turned over at all for 10 years?
Old 12-22-2011, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
The sunny South...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshebib View Post
You Georgia guys are lucky. Every time I turn a wrench on this car I'm pleasantly reminded where this car spent most of it's life. Up here in the "salt belt" things tend to seize up underneath. I've never had a bolt or nut give me trouble on this car!
Cars in Georgia usually live a long and happy life, especially in the middle and south part of the state. With almost no ice or snow and even less salt, body panels and nuts/bolts usually don't suffer at all. I have a 1980 SC coupe that doesn't have a spec of rust on it anywhere that has lived in Georgia all of it's life. A few years ago, I sold my Dad's 1965 Dodge Coronet to a Mopar collector from Illinois who could not believe that it was rust free! It is quite common to see cars from the 50's on up that are basically in daily use. From time to time you will see a prewar automobile sitting in a side yard that has finally succombed to the tin worm but that take many, many years.

By the way, it was 75 degrees and partly cloudy here today!

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all!
Old 12-22-2011, 02:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
When the engine was removed from the car, Garth (I guess I can use his name) put oil down each cylinder and blew remaining gas out of the injectors. He would crank it over whenever he was in his garage wrenching on other projects (928, Passat W8 comes to mind). His intention was to eventually put this engine in his '96 993C4S, which he drives on weekends, etc., once the engine needed a rebuild. However his engine is showing no signs of wear and he`s past the stage of craziness that I`m going through. So I was able to talk him into parting with it. I know it`s not in Georgia ( here it`s currently snowing lightly) but the engine has been out of the weather for over 10 years and that`s 10 years of no heat cycles and driving the crap out of it so everything should be fine. Maybe for Greg`s sake it`ll be down on power for the first part of track season. Just kiddin`, I would say we`re just leveling the playing field against those new 350+hp Bmw`s and even those 997`s. It should be an interesting year! Here are a few pics of where the engine came from. I`ve been drooling over this for a long time.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Oh, I think I`ll go have a Keith`s now, It`s going to be a long cold winter.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
17 years and 17k posts...

Garage
Beautiful car (and engine). Welcome aboard!!
www.ford.com
Old 12-22-2011, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Administrator

You will not regret the 3.6.

Welcome to the BBS.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Scotiagreg

Garage
New Math

A wise person ( and apparent fortune teller ) once taught me a little new math. The main theorem goes like this. 3.6 + 915 = $$$$

Alas, you will probably compensate with talent where I went the lead foot + wallet route.

Can't wait for spring !!
Old 12-23-2011, 02:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
I gotta tell ya, my wallets definitely feeling the pinch right now!! But I guess if we were worried about that we wouldn't be doing this in the first place. This project is costing me more than the car is probably worth and I'm lovin' every minute of it.
Here's a pic of the car I had to watch for in the rear view mirror this track season. Greg's is the "Ruby" one, mine's the silver one (no, not the 356).

Old 12-23-2011, 04:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: