Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Strange issue with the heat on my SC

Hi all:

I have a 79 SC. Blower motor controlled by passenger side heat lever works; I can hear it when I pull the lever up and the car is off. Blower motor controlled by driver side heat lever does NOT activate the blower - totally quiet.

HOWEVER, I have heat on the drivers' side BUT it is cold on the passenger side (the side where the blower motor runs when the passenger side lever is pulled up).

Can someone help me diagnose this peculiar problem? FYI, both sides heated fine last week. I did install led dash bulbs the other day but I can't imagine that has anything to do with the heater gremlins It's getting cold here in PA.....

Thanks in advance!!

Steve G

Old 12-28-2011, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

you need to look under the car to see whether pulling the pass. lever is closing the opening in the flapper box (closing it allow hot air to go forward instead of letting it escape). the cable is probably disconnected at either the knob or box end. re the blower lift up the rubber boot and carpet and look at the wiring which activates it. it is very simple design and something is probably disconnected.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for your input....

....why am I getting heat on the driver's side when the blower on that side isn't running?
Old 12-28-2011, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

the engine cooling fan moves air even when the blower is off. there is only one blower on sc. it helps move air especially at idle. the later cars got footwell blowers.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Steve,
There is a switch on each of the levers that turns on the rear blower. So it appears the blower is working but the switch on the driver's lever is bad or needs to be adjusted. The heat flow is split, drivers side heat exchanger feeds the drivers side flapper box [flow controlled by raising the lever] and directed to the drivers side vents. The passenger side is plumbed the same way. Lack of heat on the passenger side is a bad flapper box [not directing the heat to the cabin], cable adjustment or simply lack of a heater hose from the heat exchanger to the flapper box.
Own a gun and you can rob a bank , own a bank and you can rob the world.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Ron, thanks for your explanation and assistance. Makes sense to me. I will crawl under the car and see if the passenger side flapper box is open/closing properly and will check the driver side lever switch. Let there be heat!! (and I really need it for my passenger/wife because it just started to snow). Happy new year. Steve G
Old 12-29-2011, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Vinyl pimp

Garage
Check both sides. They likely are rusted to hell based on your location.

Don't worry, they are cheap and available....you're not the first.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
heiliges blechle!

I had a similar problem but I doubt you'll find what I did. I always pulled both levers up but one icy day I realized the passenger side windshield was not de-icing. The driver side cable was snapped and the passenger side lever was connected to the driver side cable... ?? it works a lot better now.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for all your responses.

No blower driver side - dirty contact. Simple as that.

Cold air right side even though blower working. Broken cable right at flapper box.

Not unique; just strange both sides whacked out at the same time.

Happy and safe new year to all!!

Steve G

Old 12-30-2011, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: