Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Centering a Steering Wheel

I replaced my stock 71 steering wheel with a Prototipo. Easy enough. But I can't seem to get the new wheel exactly centered. On one spline the bottom spoke of the wheel is slightly to the left of center. On the next spline it is slightly to the right of center. Is there any adjustment in the steering rack itself? Thanks. -- Curt
Old 04-09-2002, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
That's weird; assuming that your rack is centered L/R, car aligned, spline design should match stock wheel. Maybe you got a lemon,(the wheel of course), otherwise it is M.mouse.
Old 04-09-2002, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Denis, I'm not sure if I just didn't notice it with the stock wheel. And now with a wheel that has a vertical bottom spoke, it is apparent. I guess it's possible that the wheel is drilled wrong. Heck it's supposed to be NOS and maybe there's a reason these things were sitting in a warehouse for years! It really isn't a big deal - it's just SLIGHTLY off - and I can certainly live with it if no precise adjustment is possible. -- Curt
Old 04-09-2002, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

yes there is adjustment on the rack. It's the reason why when you get a cheap alignment they often give the car back with the wheel cocked. The method of adjustment would be to adjust the tierods, a tad in on one side and a tad out on the other will move the wheel over a little.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 04-09-2002, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

straighten the wheel and observe which way the front wheels went. they need to come back a bit from there. look at the tierod threads and decide which way you need to turn the tierods to accomplish this. one will need to get longer, the other shorter. make a mark on the very rear of the tierod for reference and do a 1/4 turn on each rod. that's usuall enough to do it if you are 1/2 spline off at the steering wheel.
Old 04-09-2002, 08:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Steve your absolutely right. I just got my alignment done after I upgraded to turbo tie rods. Tire Kingdom nailed me for $100. But my steering wheel is straight as an arrow.

All other cars were only $49

Eric
Old 04-09-2002, 08:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Nice guy eddie

Garage
The whole centering thing is pretty basic; raise front of car, turn wheel to left-lock, note steering wheel position, all the way to the right, note position, exactly in the middle of these two is the center of rack or steering gear. Make wheels point straight ahead at this rack position (align). This is necessary on any vehicle if you want it to turn as sharp to the right as to the left; also where self-centering part of steering gear or rack is if it is engineered in.
Old 04-10-2002, 12:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks guys. -- Curt
Old 04-10-2002, 04:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: