Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

got my gas tester today....

Hello All.

I got my gas tester pro in the mail today and put it to use right quick. I found that my idle CO was way too high. I guess that explains the ocasional pop at idle. It read about 7%CO

I adjusted it down to about 2% at 950 rpm. It does idle better. Also set the dwell and idle speed, then adjusted the timing again.

I kinda "rocked in" all these adjustments together because it seems one adjustment effects another and so on.

Wow, what a valuble tool to have for tuning!

Now for a drive tomorrow to test it loaded.

Just thought I would share.

Chris

Old 04-09-2002, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I tried to order one from the same company yesterday and it gave me an error while trying to place my order.
A little annoyed, I gave up.

Then today I get a call from a gentleman who works there and said: "I see you had trouble trying to place an order from the online catalog... would you like to do it now?"
I was shocked... I've never had someone follow up on me like that.

So, I ordered it and it should be here day after tomorrow... didn't get the "Pro" model... should i have?
It just looked like it had more bells and whistles...

And strangely enough... he even asked me if I was from the "Pelican site".
What... has everybody been placing orders for these things???

Can't wait to try it out!
Old 04-09-2002, 08:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Leland, I ordered one today as well. I told the guy about Pelican and said we'd been talking it up. That's probably why he mentioned it. Seems like a good company, easy to deal with.
Can't wait to get the testor. I ordered the basic one....
Old 04-09-2002, 08:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to adamnitti
fill me in, guys-

who is selling these? thanks-

...In search of the next 911...
Old 04-09-2002, 08:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I went ahead and ordered the pro model. I needed to buy a dwell meter for my points car. I looked at sears and the dwel meter was about $30. Then I thought about the gas tester pro model that had it all built in. Bingo, I ordered it and got it today. I would have got the cheaper one had I already had a dwell meter. I compared the tach readout with the factory tach. The factory tach is pretty accurate

Its well worth the money IMHO.

It must have been only hours after I ordered it via internet, that I got a e-mail responce confirming my order. I give a A+++ for customer service.

Chris
Old 04-09-2002, 09:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

HELLO GUYS.

I HAVE BEEN WANTING TO BUY A GOOD GAS TESTER. CAN YOU TELL ME WHERE YOU BOUGHT THE GAS TESTER PRO?

WHATS A GOOD BOOK TO GO ALONG WITH IT?

ERIC
Old 04-10-2002, 04:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

For those who want to order one: http://www.aep.bigstep.com/Digital.htm. I concur that the service was excellent and the one I ordered arrived in record time. It comes with all the instruction you need, including some articles from various magazines that evaluated it. All you will need is the correct CO setting for your model, which should be on a sticker located on the fan housing.
Old 04-10-2002, 05:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I am interested in getting one of the gas testers. I have a SC. Would it be benificial for me to get the pro or the basic model. Do I need dwell or is that only for cars that have points?
SCWDP
South East Region
Old 04-10-2002, 05:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I read a post some time back where someone recommended 6-7% CO mix on both part and idle settings. I just recently bought a Gastester from AEP and used 6-7% CO on both settings. The car runs like a champ. The stock setting is between 2-4% on a 1973 911 T 2.4 right? I have a 2.7 RS conversion engine, so maybe I need the higher setting? Anyways, my car idles and runs very, very smoothly with my current settings. Just my 2 cents...

Bill
Old 04-10-2002, 05:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Before I got my tester, I tuned it by "ear." When I hooked up the tester, my "ear" tuning turned out to be about 4.5%. Though my decal indicates a 1.5-3.0% setting, and I set mine around 2%, I do sometimes get an occasional backfire on cold starting, which I didn't get at the richer setting. However, it runs fine at this setting after initial start-up.

I suppose there's a bit of a trade-off between the optimum setting for emissions/fuel economy and cold start performance. Keep in mind that there is a factor of inaccuracy for any instrument, and it's best to weigh the reading from the instrument with your feel for how the car runs before deciding on the final setting.
Old 04-10-2002, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to NYSCAR Send a message via Yahoo to NYSCAR
Well I think the higher than factory part-throttle readings the gastester has been giving might have something to do with load. Most of us don't have a dyno to load, and the gastester requires the car to be stationary. From reading the Bosch MFI manual, I think the car needs to be under load during the part throttle test (i.e. driving down the road or on a dyno).

Brad
Old 04-10-2002, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

I just took a look at this analyzer. They've got a link to Pelican on their web site for this product!

'83 SC Targa - since 5/5/2001
'06 911 S Aerokit - from 5/2/2016 to 11/14/2018
Old 04-10-2002, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I also got the Gastester from them. Very easy to deal with. Mine seemed to drift after readings by never returning to the base setting. The instructions indicated that this might be a problem, so I sent it back and they tested it thoroughly for me before returning the same one.

The guy spend the weekend testing it for extended periods of time on his cars and forwarded several of my concerns to the manufacturer. I have not tried it again yet, but they were pleasant to deal with.

Olivier

Old 04-10-2002, 03:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: