Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

How to Prevent Valve Cover Leaks??

I'm in the process of adjusting valves and I don't have an accurate torque wrench that will measure the correct specs to install valve covers.

I have done a zig zag pattern making sure that all of the nuts are snug but not tight. I figure under-tightened is better than over. If the are under, at least I can snug them up.

Any other trick to get the right values to prevent leaks??

I have turbo covers on the bottom and have had problems with oil leaking through the nuts in the past (I have used new nuts.)

I'm using a 6" long 3/8" socket.

thanks.

Old 04-10-2002, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Warren Hall Student

Garage
Use the nuts that have the plastic insert that serves as a locking mechanism. They also seal the nut to the stud.

Bobby
Old 04-10-2002, 08:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to NYSCAR Send a message via Yahoo to NYSCAR
Get an accurate torque wrench Seriously I hear that proper torque on the bolts is critical.
Old 04-11-2002, 04:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to jbailey930 Send a message via Yahoo to jbailey930
You can try using your non-dominate hand- left if your right handed. You're not as likely to over tighten this way. Go for snug. Good luck
Old 04-11-2002, 04:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Cool

Not a pro procedure, but I clean w/solvent lower row of studs on lower covers and dab each stud with silicone sealer after installing the cover. Then the washer and nut.....Ron
SSI Monty
MSD JPI
w x6
Old 04-11-2002, 04:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Re: How to Prevent Valve Cover Leaks??

Quote:
Originally posted by IAN

I have done a zig zag pattern making sure that all of the nuts are snug but not tight. I figure under-tightened is better than over. If the are under, at least I can snug them up.

Ian,
This is your best appraoch. Because if you overtighten them, they are going to leak even more.

You might even try using a 1/4 drive socket set.

Good luck!
Old 04-11-2002, 04:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Hey man, how about cleaning out your hotmail account so I can send you some email?

1967 S
Old 04-11-2002, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I agree that the best method is to use a torque wrench with the correct range, however I've been able to do it successfully by "feel." Always use new hardware (washers and nuts with plastic inserts) and keep an eye on those soft washers as you tighten the nut. You don't want to crank down on them until they deform. You just want them snug enough to seal any minor imperfections in the mating surfaces and tighten them evenly be feel.

With the turbo style covers it doesn't take very much force to seal the gasket, and you're more likely to get leaks from over tightening than under tightening.
Old 04-11-2002, 06:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Are the re-useable valve cover gaskets less likely to leak and if so, who carries them? Pelican says they don't stock them....
Old 04-11-2002, 07:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Used them on my airplane valve covers for years (also a flat aircooled engine) and they never leaked a drop. I have the Porschie equivalents on the car now, and they seem to be doing just fine. They're even more susceptible to overtightening than the standard gaskets, however, since they're soft and squishy.

Stephan

Old 04-11-2002, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: