Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Congratulations. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
zαvodnνk 'X'

Garage
Wayne - Congratulations, terrific write-up and nice to see this car in the hands of a true enthusiast! Scott
Old 02-04-2012, 10:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Always learning

Garage
How good does it look with the nose off and those monster front tyres. I just love the technical detail in the geometry of these cars.

I know what i would do with it.....This car would be placed on a turntable in my living room on display, even if it meant chucking the couches and sitting on the floor. Come to think of it, even if it meant chucking out the wife as well
Old 02-04-2012, 11:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Tres tres cool Wayne! What can be said other than "well done"! All the best with future plans.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
Very neat!! Thanks for the story.
93 911 RSA - bodied as a 993RSR
81 IMSA RS Capri
Old 02-05-2012, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Artist Extraordinaire

Good for you Wayne! Its nice to see a real "car guy" that doesnt mind getting his hands dirty get these cars. Your amassing quite the collection.
Being such a Brumos fan, I love Peters Greggs 935 + spares you have. Thats the 1980 he last raced, correct? Cool car.

Terry
83 911SC / 85 Omni GLH Turbo / 91 VW GTI 16v / 11 VW GTI 2.0 Turbo/04 Audi A4 Turbo Ultrasport
Old 02-05-2012, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Author of "101 Projects"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsautoart View Post
Good for you Wayne! Its nice to see a real "car guy" that doesnt mind getting his hands dirty get these cars. Your amassing quite the collection.
Being such a Brumos fan, I love Peters Greggs 935 + spares you have. Thats the 1980 he last raced, correct? Cool car.
It's the 1980 car that he last drove in the Sebring qualifiers. The car didn't qualify (had some type of problem), and then he killed himself two weeks later.

-Wayne
101 Projects for Your BMW 3-Series • 101 Projects for Your Porsche 911 • How to Rebuild & Modify Porsche 911 Engines • 101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster & Cayman • 101 Projects for Your Porsche 996 / 997
Coming Soon:
• SPEED READ: Porsche 911 (October 2018)
Old 02-05-2012, 09:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
Amazing.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Very nice thread!

An interesting memory from when I was a schoolkid of I guess around 15:

At the time of the '87 Kyalami 500 the pits was a fairly informal affair, and the attending public were allowed to walk down pit lane between practice sessions in the week leading up to the race, with only barrier lines separating them from the crews busy in their garages.

Some crews obviously didn't like this arrangement and either had their garages completely closed, or just did as much as possible to ignore the passing parade (sadly the latter included the SABAT team and our local talent Sarel van der Merwe). Rothmans was one of the open ones, and they were handing out posters and really engaging with the public. I was queuing for a poster and in the process struck up a chat with one of the crew standing outside having a smoke. Next thing I got invited to cross the barrier and have an up-close tour of the car, which included a few moments in the drivers’ seat.

Never did get a poster, but got a great memory instead!

I wonder if it might have been the very same car?!
Old 02-06-2012, 12:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willem Fick View Post
I wonder if it might have been the very same car?!
I'm actually trying to track this down - no one seems to have any photos from this race. Did you happen to snap any?

-Wayne
101 Projects for Your BMW 3-Series • 101 Projects for Your Porsche 911 • How to Rebuild & Modify Porsche 911 Engines • 101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster & Cayman • 101 Projects for Your Porsche 996 / 997
Coming Soon:
Old 02-06-2012, 01:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

I'm afraid not! I'll however check with my dad and some other folks who were there - will post any I come across. You might also get some from the guys at MotoPrint - Quality Original Prints. They have quite an extensive catalogue of photos from that era, spanning all South African venues.

Man you stirred some great memories!
Old 02-06-2012, 01:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Quote:
I'm afraid not! I'll however check with my dad and some other folks who were there - will post any I come across. You might also get some from the guys at MotoPrint - Quality Original Prints. They have quite an extensive catalogue of photos from that era, spanning all South African venues.

Man you stirred some great memories!
Wow, that's a good tip. There is a photo of the car on their site with it painted in Rothmans colors!

-Wayne
Coming Soon:
Old 02-06-2012, 03:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Wayne,

I see that many of the pictures are to the credit of one Colin Burgess. May be an idea to approach the MotoPrint site owners to see if they can't get you in touch with him. He might well have more pics that are not worthy of publication, but can help you in your quest!

Regards,

Willem
Old 02-06-2012, 03:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Quote:
Wayne,

I see that many of the pictures are to the credit of one Colin Burgess. May be an idea to approach the MotoPrint site owners to see if they can't get you in touch with him. He might well have more pics that are not worthy of publication, but can help you in your quest!

Regards,

Willem
Just emailed them!

-Wayne
Coming Soon:
Old 02-06-2012, 03:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage
Great tale Wayne. Your determination paid off handsomely and that's a stunning fleet you have now. I look forward to the first track report....
Old 02-06-2012, 03:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Hi Wayne,

You also may want to be in touch with Peter Ellenbogen. He is a local photographer, who has quite a selection of South African motorsport pictures from that era, most likely including the Kyalami 500. His contact details can be found at:

Flickr: Peter Ellenbogen's Photostream

Warm regards,

Willem
Old 02-06-2012, 04:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Artist Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne at Pelican Parts View Post
It's the 1980 car that he last drove in the Sebring qualifiers. The car didn't qualify (had some type of problem), and then he killed himself two weeks later.

-Wayne
I actually grew up in Ponte Vedra Bch FL where he killed himself. I know the story all too well. I had a childhood friend whose father was involved with Brumos back in the 70's and early 80's. I heard some great stories about Gregg/Haywood.

Didnt the livery on that car change at one time?

Terry
83 911SC / 85 Omni GLH Turbo / 91 VW GTI 16v / 11 VW GTI 2.0 Turbo/04 Audi A4 Turbo Ultrasport
Old 02-06-2012, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Another interesting point was just brought up to my by Klaus at Amalfi Racing. In 1987, the cars would not have run with the water-water motor (BOSCH Motronic 1.7), and instead would have only run with the air-water motors (BOSCH Motronic 1.2). Since it is very clear that the engine was damaged as well as the chassis (see previous photos), that certainly dates the accident damage to 1988 or later. This further reinforces the view that the damaged chassis is indeed the one that raced throughout the 1987 season.

-Wayne
Coming Soon:
Old 02-06-2012, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: