Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne at Pelican Parts View Post
This was more of a case of a damaged chassis in a race, and it was quicker and cheaper to get a new one or use a spare, rather than repair the old one. That happened quite a lot in the days of racing. The good news is that this one is pretty well documented by this time!

-Wayne
Back when Racing was Racing, before nascrap turned it into WWF.

20+ year PCA member

Many Cool Porsches, Projects& Parts, Vintage BMX bikes too

http://www.bvdmotorsports.com
Active Rennlist Member.
http://members.rennlist.com/racerbvd/
See blog for my For Sale & Wanted List.
http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=337&
Old 05-21-2015, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #101 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerbvd View Post
Back when Racing was Racing, before nascrap turned it into WWF.

Napcar, turn it on and in no time I'm taking one.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #102 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
106b Arrives at Katana

RLR 106b arrives at its new home, Katana Ltd., for a full restoration.

Here the Katana Team gets their first look at the project 962 as they carefully unload it from the container.

And safely on solid ground!

No time to waste as 106b is meticulously disassembled down to the bare tub! Bodywork, suspension, undertray, side pods, supports, engine/trans, wiring looms, plumbing, lines/reservoirs, pedals/steering/linkages, complete dash, windscreen, fuel pumps/bladder/reserve boot, seat, fire system and plenty more little bits and pieces - all removed. This is a great way to fully inspect the tub and overhead roll structure.

It's amazing how a full-bodied Porsche 962 at over 15' in length can be reduced to a small aluminium tub.

Old 06-04-2015, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #103 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
As we continue our documentation of 106b's restoration, here are a few neat highlights of some chassis detail work.

Although this aluminum tub/chassis is relatively strong and rigid, even the simplest of tasks, like towing it around a paddock can cause damage. In this case, before Pelican originally received the car, the tow hook had been ripped from the upper-center of the chassis, just below the windscreen. Typically, 956/962 tow hooks were mounted much lower and popped through the leading edge of the nose but RLR among others realized the aero importance of the lower nose area and relocated the tow hook just below the forward, lower center point of the windscreen (yellow arrow). This image shows the damaged portion already removed followed by a doubler plate nicely shaped and installed yielding a strong towing point.

If you recall from earlier in this story, this is the original chassis which had received crash damage primarily to the right rear corner of the chassis. This would be the driver's side of the chassis. The original repair work wasn't 100% completed way back when and here's an example of a small but big detail that wasn't addressed. The right-hand side seat belt anchor plate (lap belt) was not installed so the team at Katana went about correcting this omission:

Anchor plate ready to be installed:

Another detail overlooked when the damaged chassis was repaired is that the two through-chassis water pipes weren't installed before they riveted the panels back together. So in this photo you'll see the rear bulkhead but missing are the one piece pipes with ends protruding from the two smaller openings at the floor of the chassis:

So how to get the water pipes installed? Revert to two piece water pipes:

Finally, attention was also given to the chassis number plate. A poor replica plate was delivered with the car so Katana utilized a NOS Porsche plate and had it engraved to closely match the original factory look:

So many details! Next up, we'll take a look at the process involved with fitting all of the period-correct bodywork and what it takes to match the nose, deck lid, side pods and roof sections together seamlessly.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #104 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Fitting the Bodywork

Previous to the chassis work, the body of 106b needed to be fitted properly and that proved to be a tough task as several of the reproduction pieces manufactured in Japan simply did not fit correctly. But the team at Katana got to work on this challenging task.

At this initial stage, there weren't any other alternatives but to work with what they had:

Both side pods were very distorted and bowed outwards:

The roof section was the most alarming as you can see the top section marked by the arrow sagged downward while the section at the forward lower vent area distorted upwards. This would create a monumental challenge as this section of the roof panel would be very difficult to repair:

On to the underbody, aka undertray. Luckily, Katana had an original pre-'88 underbody in stock which would work very well with minimal alterations required. Repair at the front of the underbody would be needed to align it squarely with the chassis:

You can get an idea how the underbody aligns with the side pods with this picture. The pods here are another set Katana had which they planned to graft into the bowed/distorted pods which came with the car. This is also a fantastic view of the tunnels within the underbody which generate all of that lovely downforce. The front of the car would be at picture left and the rear of the car, where the tunnels are at their max height, is at picture right:

During this effort to make the poor-fitting repro panels work, Wayne made an amazing discovery in that he located a complete set of RLR bodywork from a show car that had the original tail section - only ever used in 1987! You can see it standing upright in the rear of this shot:

Old 09-09-2015, 07:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #105 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
106b Bodywork continued....

After deciding that wrestling with the poor reproduction panels was not the correct plan of attack, Trevor ordered a new set of side pods and roof section through a company in Germany which at one time made all of the Kremer and Dauer bodywork back in the day.

Now that a proper tail section had been acquired by Wayne, the Katana team started the process of fitting the tail to the standard underbody. The tail needed a few repairs to the oil cooler duct and where it had cracked at the rear. It also had a couple of cut-outs that needed to be filled where it had been modified to fit a different underbody. Getting set-up to fit the tail:

Test fit:

Repairs to the tail:

And another test fit. Looks and fits nicely. You can also see how the underbody extends further out from the tail section. This would be trimmed eventually to better replicate the original underbody:

Finally, a shot of the tail section along with the roof, side pods and nose. But don't forget, the roof and side pods are soon to be replaced by brand new quality pieces!

Old 09-09-2015, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #106 (permalink)

Author of "101 Projects"

We've been a bit behind on posting photos, but the car is done and being loaded into the container as I type this! Coming back to America, but not in time for Rennsport V unfortunately. I asked Trevor to bring all of the photos back with him when he gets here tomorrow - I'll post them when I get them!

Teasers:

-Wayne
Old 09-24-2015, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #107 (permalink)

That's awesome Wayne.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #109 (permalink)
Taking it apart is easy

Wow, just wow. That's from another world . . .

PLEASE CHECK MY QUIZZICAL BLOG: www.ponderingporsches.blogspot.com
Old 09-24-2015, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #110 (permalink)
911T '72

Garage
Hello Wayne,

Great story so far. Did RLR transfer a lot of parts from 956-106 onto 106b? Is there anymore info into the build of these Gti 962's. What has happend to 200, 202 & 203? A reunion with these RLR cars would be awesome.

Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows. (Walter Röhrl)
Old 10-07-2015, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #111 (permalink)
Registered

Wayne,

I happened to re-read this thread today. Do you have John Allen's Porsche 956 962 book from 1988? I think it has a little coverage of the Liqui Moly cars towards the end.

JR
Old 11-11-2015, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #112 (permalink)

Hi JR,

Yes indeed it has a lot of really good shots of 106b and Wayne I am sure has a few copies of the book.

TC
Old 11-11-2015, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #113 (permalink)
Registered

TC,

I thought I'd ask, since it's probably a pretty obscure book on this side of the pond. Looking forward to seeing pictures of the finished car, when it gets back to California.

There was a test of a Japanese-liveried RLR car in 1993 in Autosport. Which chassis was that, do you know?

JR
Old 11-12-2015, 04:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #114 (permalink)

Garage
Great stuff. Not to hijack, but I saw a replica 962 being built with GT3 drivetrain:

GT3 powered Porsche 962 replica | Build Threads
Old 11-16-2015, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #115 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC @ Katana Ltd View Post
Hi JR,

Yes indeed it has a lot of really good shots of 106b and Wayne I am sure has a few copies of the book.

TC
Sitting one foot away from me as I type this! Yes, there are about 4-6 pages on this car in there...

-Wayne
Old 12-06-2015, 08:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #116 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Quote:
Originally Posted by javadog View Post
There was a test of a Japanese-liveried RLR car in 1993 in Autosport. Which chassis was that, do you know?

JR
Not sure, it probably wasn't the 2nd iteration of this car, 1993 is pretty late. Still, it might be I suppose - what was the month? Do you have the issue?

-Wayne
Old 12-06-2015, 08:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #117 (permalink)
Retired Action Man

Garage
I love this thread .............
Old 12-06-2015, 09:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #118 (permalink)
PhD on Pending Projects

Garage
Send a message via AIM to wachuko Send a message via Yahoo to wachuko
What a thing of beauty!

Wayne, thank you for sharing the process. Now...about those photos, lol.

1967 - Porsche 912
1981 - Porsche 911 SC
1991 - Porsche 911 C4 Wide-body Cabriolet
Old 12-07-2015, 02:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #119 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne at Pelican Parts View Post
Not sure, it probably wasn't the 2nd iteration of this car, 1993 is pretty late. Still, it might be I suppose - what was the month? Do you have the issue?

-Wayne
November 18, 1993. Best way to get one is to buy the Brooklands compilation book, Porsche 917-935-956-962 Sports Racers, ISBN 185520 7311.

JR

Old 12-07-2015, 04:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #120 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: