Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

i hope i have loaded the image OK. shows the locking ring that you slide with a screwdriver to unlock the mirror glass from the body.

its not too difficult to remove the glass once you get the locking ring to move.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy2 View Post
Flat Six's earlier post has a link to amazon for the exact tool he purchased if that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, thanks. I spoke with Samstag Sales - German Tools from HAZET, Stahlwille and Gedore yesterday about the equivalent Hazet tool, but they can only sell by Hazet part #, not application. I was hoping someone had the Hazet tool...
Old 08-21-2014, 05:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
My 85 was the three prong type. The Bentley manual does even mention it as a possibility. I fought for a long time trying to rotate a ring that was not there. In the end I figured out it was the three prong type.

I would love to find the engineer that decided that humongous connector was a good idea and slap him. To remove the mirror base to paint it you have to either cut the wires (wrong way) or find the proper size connector tool to get the individual wires out of there.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 08-21-2014, 05:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH85Carrera View Post
My 85 was the three prong type. The Bentley manual does even mention it as a possibility. I fought for a long time trying to rotate a ring that was not there. In the end I figured out it was the three prong type.

I would love to find the engineer that decided that humongous connector was a good idea and slap him. To remove the mirror base to paint it you have to either cut the wires (wrong way) or find the proper size connector tool to get the individual wires out of there.
Can I assume that an '81 would have the prong mirror connection vs. the locking ring? I'm also assuming that the Amazon-sourced pin removal tool referenced in this thread is the correct size!
Old 08-21-2014, 07:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
I would bet your 81 has the older style pin prong style like my 85. I thing the change over was 86 or 87 to the ring type.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH85Carrera View Post
I would bet your 81 has the older style pin prong style like my 85. I thing the change over was 86 or 87 to the ring type.
From the sound of it, let's hope so...
Old 08-21-2014, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
The one from the Amazon link is the correct size - I ordered that exact one and it worked fine
Old 08-21-2014, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Registered

Thanks, all. Working on driver's side this weekend...
Old 08-22-2014, 05:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Spiderman

Garage

Mine are identical to what basher posted above. Wish I'd been a bit more patient with removal. I broke one little tab inside but it seems OK and maybe will glue back on re-install. As others write, slender screw-drive you need to rotate that lighter black ring. You can see the little indents on the bottom. It rotates about 1/4" or so which allows the 4 female slots to pass by the 4 males for the mirror to remove.
Good bit of wiggling to get it to fall out for some reason (everything is like this).
My plastic on my heater plugs was "goo" so disintegrated when pulled on. Again, will likely remove them completely during re-install.
Otherwise flag mirror removal is done. I ended up cutting the wires as the pin removal tool was useless, does not work with my connector. Loosen the mirror clamp bolt and they come right off.

This photo humorous. One side using Torx and the other phillips screws holding flag to the swivel base. From the factory, this has never been apart.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Also FYI the ring type mirror flag castings (and pedestal) are are thinner metal section and noticeably lighter, weight saving to avoid the fractures of the door sheet metal from the heavy early flag mirrors.

Another slap on the head.
BTW if no hole in the bottom of the flag then its the early snap in type.
67 912 coupe, white, sold
04 Audi Allroad 2.7T
Old 11-25-2014, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

I am working on this right now, can anybody please tell me how to pop out the three prong configuration mirror?
Old 02-15-2015, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Registered

I was asked about the pin tool that I posted about earlier, so I went through my pics.

It's actually a "Stahlwille" "Kabelex".

I got it from Baum Tools. They just sent me the whole Stahlwille catalog, which I don't have but maybe it's online.

There a handle, and a tube shaped ejector. You want to order the correct diameter.

And while I'm at it, here's how to eject the wires from a Blaupunkt old school head unit connector without damaging the now NLA connector.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulfblue View Post
I am working on this right now, can anybody please tell me how to pop out the three prong configuration mirror?
Use a plastic spatula or something that is flexible, and wide enough to support the glass. Pry and pull the mirror out with that. I use either a burger flipper spatula or the one that came with my George Foreman Grill, which is perfect for the job.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Registered

OK here we go. Appears that I posted this before. I'm starting to forget past projects, lol.

I think it's the 1.5 mm contact. The tool outside diameter is 3.0 mm.

The handle is part # 1501. That would mean that the head (for the aircooled 911) is 1511.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Hi

One of my pins on the connector is crushed. Where can I get some, Is there a name, size or code that I need to look for ?
Old 11-13-2019, 03:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Hi

One of my pins on the connector is crushed. Where can I get some, Is there a name, size or code that I need to look for ?
Old 11-13-2019, 03:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Just happy to be here.

Garage
I got luck and was able to scavenge an old harness for some.....
Old 11-13-2019, 03:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Registered

Location: Rehoboth Beach, DE summer - Indian Wells, CA winter
Garage
I also bought the Lisle 56500 tool. Although it fits perfectly, it does not dislodge the pin. Not sure if I need to pull harder on the wire since the concept of the tube compressing the little protrusions should work.

Thoughts... suggestions?
Old 07-23-2020, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 930slant View Post
I also bought the Lisle 56500 tool. Although it fits perfectly, it does not dislodge the pin. Not sure if I need to pull harder on the wire since the concept of the tube compressing the little protrusions should work.

Thoughts... suggestions?
I tried to use that style of connector removal tool, and and no luck at all. I did find one that looks more like a screwdriver handle, and was the right size.

The "Stahlwille" "Kabelex" is the right tool. Kinda spendy, but it will save a lot of effort and prevent cutting the wires.
Old 07-23-2020, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusnak View Post
OK here we go. Appears that I posted this before. I'm starting to forget past projects, lol.

I think it's the 1.5 mm contact. The tool outside diameter is 3.0 mm.

The handle is part # 1501. That would mean that the head (for the aircooled 911) is 1511.

That part number pulls up this:

https://www.amazon.com/Stahlwille-TOOL-KABELEX-1501N-1511/dp/B007925V5G

$48.25 plus 20 bucks shipping. Basically $70 for one tool. Wow. I am a tool lover, but wow, that is a lot.

Old 07-23-2020, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: