Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Mouse Technician

Yahoo! Video Detail for How To Keep Mice Out Of Your Cars & Trucks
Old 03-02-2012, 05:34 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by targamaniac View Post
How do you convince the mouse killing machine not to scratch the car?
SUMO CAT thinks that he owns the garage so it was not optional for me. I recommend starting with gently teaching them to slide down the glass of your old daily driver (slowly without claws). Then wax the finish and move on to paint. Cats have to learn that the claws are counter productive through repetition and positive reinforcement. Yelling at the cat just gets claw scratches on the car. The tricky part is teaching them how to get a clean jump onto the car so the claws are not needed. Showing them an elevated launching point helps (shelf, bench, stool, etc..). Odds are the cat(s) will get on the car anyway, so better safe than sorry. SUMO CAT does not get on the car very often anymore because I have set-up view points at the foundation vents & windows. My first generation mouse catcher BK even figured out how to open a cracked vent window on my 73 so he could sleep on the drivers seat. I kept wondering where the hair came from until I saw BK napping inside my 73.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:34 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarlson View Post
am using peanut butter lased traps with success and some ultrasonic defenses - - my 944 had a nest on the front shock tower couple years ago- so so far so good with the 911 but I must get at the access point(s) in the garage rear wall when the weather lets me..scary pics
To answer your question "what are dryer sheets supposed to do"

Mainly, smell better than mothballs :-)

I scatter them in cavities and spaces that I want to keep mice out of. They must hate the smell. Maybe it will even make the non dryer sheet areas where your traps are smell more e appealing :-)
Old 03-04-2012, 07:33 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Brorag

Garage
don't use moth balls!!!!
I did--they smelled to high heaven. Could not get them all out, so the interior stunk forever....
Oh yeh, didn't affect the mice...........
Old 03-04-2012, 10:45 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
Brorag

Garage
don't use moth balls!!!!

I did--they smelled to high heaven. Could not get them all out, so the interior stunk forever....
Oh yeh, didn't seem to affect the mice...........
Old 03-04-2012, 10:46 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Weekend Mechanic

Send a message via MSN to targamaniac Send a message via Yahoo to targamaniac
Well, I thought I had cleaned all of the nest out of the car but I was wrong. If you ever have this problem make sure you pull the upper passenger side valve cover and look inside the cavity above the oil cooler. I had just finished reinstalling the replacement fan housing I bought when I noticed a little bit of mouse nest around the front right plug. When I pulled it I found the cavity underneath stuffed with mouse nest. The mouse apparently filled half of the area under the fan shroud, the entire cavity above the oil cooler, and even got into the passageway leading to the spark plugs and packed his nest around there as well!

So I guess it's wise to have a look at these spots after winter storage to avoid unpleasant surprises and potentially fires..
Old 04-09-2012, 02:35 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

Maybe that would be a good excuse to drive or at least fire it up a bit more often:-).
Altho looking at your location, maybe that is just too hard, but cranking it up each month for a warm up idle might help deter the little pesks - give it a few revs and scare the s..t out of them.
Alan
83 SC, 82 SC (Been gonna sell for 7 yrs), 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, 22/28 T bars, Digi WUR (currently in a box), Rarlyl8 Zork, modified 3LDZ, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:54 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Cats.

Cats are mice terminators. They get piled up on my doorstep by my Search and Enjoy squad of two toms. Learned this long ago at the stables - a single cat pays for itself ten times over.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:36 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Weekend Mechanic

Send a message via MSN to targamaniac Send a message via Yahoo to targamaniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdub View Post
Cats are mice terminators. They get piled up on my doorstep by my Search and Enjoy squad of two toms. Learned this long ago at the stables - a single cat pays for itself ten times over.
If the garage didn't drop to -10 or -20 in the winter I'd have a fleet of cats on the loose. My old cat was a mice terminator and would leave their little severed heads on my doorstep to show me that she was still a badass even at 19 years of age. She's still missed.

I need some sort of robotic cat/mice terminator that works at arctic temps!
Old 04-09-2012, 06:14 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
Call 911

Garage
Here is the equivalent in 911 technology, in a mouse trap:

Made by Kness Mfg., Albia IA, it is available at most hardware stores. Has a built in cup-holder for peanut butter. Capacity is sufficient for at least 10 victims without a refill. Sensitive trigger, yet easy to lock and load. A clever dual lever mechanism means that you don't have to fondle the carcass when disposing of same. Made of an injection molded plastic that cleans up easily for a long, useful life, that looks great in its gloss black finish. Tell the wife you can wash these in the diswasher and note the reaction (have escape route pre-planned).

I've placed these around in my house and garage and they work very well. Actually caught 18 of the little turd-snappers in the fall, and after that, no more problems.

My Porsche restoreth my soul.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:58 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
Old 04-10-2012, 01:58 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: