Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Fellow GearHeads-

Everybody can blame me for starting this Golden Fleece Quest for wiring diagrams....

I have been- gasp!, gawd!- can hardly say this number- have been turning wrenches on my 911s for 39years now, and all in all, it has been a wonderful trip and a great excuse to buy more tools...

I am however, a near blithering idiot computer wise. I think I can send everyone what they want on the wiring diagrams.... I have since acquired the 86-89 factory manuals on CD. I just copied/pasted and emailed myself the 3 '88-89 Power Distribution pages, but the file is huge! some 13.5mb for just 3 black/white pages- takes forever to send/receive.

Can someone help me out here and tell me how to compress? the pages into something easy and manageable. I will be happy to send everyone what they want via email, but I don't know how to do it easily. The clarity of the full normal size pages is great- it's all black and white- no more color charts like the early cars As I review my email, the clarity of the email pages is better than the CD page......

The diagrams are arranged by major overall power grid, then separate pages for sub-systems- ie, power windows/locks, mirrors, power Cab top, etc. But it's not arranged by year in total systems- ie '86 power grid, '86 mirrors, '86 a/c, '86 whatever... all years of the power grids are together, than all years mirrors, then all years a/c, etc. Not very convenient- you have to hunt for what you are looking for....

Like everyone else, I've tons of stuff to do (will be dead meat around here if I don't finish the taxes...). Before everyone asks me for diagrams, I need to figure an easy way to do it- have a whole file ready to send, etc. For all you computer gurus out there, I'm running one of the latest Macs on the planet- if that makes a difference?

Somebody let me know! All of the diagrams for the '86-89 3.2s are about 100 pages worth.... If someone else wants to honcho this- have at it- I could send you the info for distribution....

Tim
Old 03-31-2012, 11:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Tim, I can help if you need a volunteer . Btw, finish your returns before we get started with this task...

Allen

Last edited by a&j; 04-01-2012 at 12:01 AM.. Reason: Go finish your returns...
Old 03-31-2012, 11:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Certified User

Garage
Ben,
I have a copy of the manual from the Cannell site and it's wiring diagrams are legible. They are laid out by system for each year.

However the diagrams that I am after are the fold-out ones that look like this. My copy is really poor and I can't read most of the small print.

Lee,
Before you get too carried away with your copier, just confirming that these are the diagrams that you have? There are 9 pages of diagrams for the 88 Model Carrera.
Memories: '68 912, '72 911T, '80 911SC, '84 911, '85 930, '86 930, '87 911
Old 04-01-2012, 12:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

The diagrams I have are from the Porsche manual and are fold out (3 page) for each system. Most models have about 10 pages (=/-)
2010 BMW 328I
2010 Mini Cooper (Wife)
Old 04-06-2012, 04:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Copies have been sent out to those who provided addresses. Anyone that I missed please contact me. I hope these are helpful - I found them to be valuable when sorting out my mess.
2010 BMW 328I
2010 Mini Cooper (Wife)
Old 04-17-2012, 04:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

thanks Lee, did you get my check, I had my wife send but didn't confirm that it went out
Old 04-17-2012, 06:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

hcoles:

Yes I got your ceck for 3 copies. Thanks and I hope they are of assistance. For reference, the prints llook like the diagrams billjam asked about, above.
2010 BMW 328I
2010 Mini Cooper (Wife)
Old 04-18-2012, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Thanks Lee,
They arrive today.
This will be of great help.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

I'm informed that the diagrams showed up at home.
Thanks much.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Lee, got the diagrams, they look great! Thank you. Paul
Old 04-23-2012, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
ASE Master Tech - 35 yrs

Garage
try this - 86-89 on CD

Porsche 911 Carrera Factory Workshop Manual On CD, Plus EXTRAS!!

If it works, take it apart and find out Why.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Cannell no longer has Porsche reference material. The copyright police must have cracked down on them.

Additionally, their scans were flat pdf files that provided no search capability. They were essentially pictures. They had the factory manuals thru 83 then Bentley thru 89. For the price, great, but given the low cost of the material mentioned here get the legit info with search capability.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrym View Post
Has anyone order this CD? Just wondering if the company is ligit and the CD has what they claim.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

bump

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcoles View Post
Has anyone order this CD? Just wondering if the company is ligit and the CD has what they claim.
Good question I would like a copy of that CD.
Sounds to good to be true.However I have heard cost of producing copies of CDs is about 2 bucks.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
ASE Master Tech - 35 yrs

Garage
Exclamation cd

i ordered it yesterday - will keep y'all updated

also, a Brit has an "all models all yrs" "factory manual" cd on eBay-UK - i ordered one of those as well

best as i can tell these are one-time, short-term listings at "payment pass-thru" sites that keep one step ahead of the the copy police and keep the seller ID private

and about a yr ago a guy had a "all thru '83" cd on craigslist Sacramento - - i also got that one before P-police got him taken down

meanwhile - about a yr ago I captured a set of 3 genuine paper 1984 dealer supplemental manuals on eBay - they have the foldout diagrams (in german) and lots of DME Motronic info, as well as other 'unique to new carrera' stuff

(i.e., ya gotta know that Ge is yellow, and SW is black - but that is explained in those USA dealer tech books)

those diagrams are great,

I am about to go have them blown up to tabletop size so i can do my 3.2 conversion wiring into a 914-6 without a magnifier glass

this is not a trivial exercise - glad i am not paying $120/hr for someone to do it for me

one note - i have both an '84 and an '89 3.2 harness - both were butchered by the sellers ( being 1. a FLA salvage yard and 2. a reputable SoCal independent P- shop) - - connectors cut off, etc

- like they say "ask before you bid"

fyi - the wire colors are NOT the same in the 2 harnesses at the various engine-side DME connectors

(i.e., the 84 harness wire colors are not same as the 89 colors, and the 89 harness has more connectors than the 84)

fwiw - i am using the '84 books above to trace end-to-end with a dvom and replace the missing connectors on both harnesses using Bosch mercedes, vw, and 944 connectors recently sourced at pick-n-pull - yes they all fit but have 'way different color schemes

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcoles View Post

If it works, take it apart and find out Why.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
závodník 'X'

Garage
The AllData diagrams often are OEM. Type in google for the year, make, model and free pdf. Don't want to steer anyone the wrong way with any links here but dig a little and you might get lucky

What I really like today is converting these files and have the factory books on a tablet or reader for traveling convenience.
“When these fine people came to me with an offer to make four movies for them, I immediately said ‘yes’ for one reason and one reason only… Netflix rhymes with ‘wet chicks,'” Sandler said in a prepared statement. “Let the streaming begin!” - Adam Sandler
Old 10-08-2012, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

FWIW, AllData wants $26.95 for 1 year access to online data; $44.95 for 5 year access, and $16.95 for each add'l vehicle (1 year).

Can anyone remark on the CD mentioned above?

Sherwood
Old 10-08-2012, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Garage
Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by billjam View Post
Ben,
I have a copy of the manual from the Cannell site and it's wiring diagrams are legible. They are laid out by system for each year.

However the diagrams that I am after are the fold-out ones that look like this. My copy is really poor and I can't read most of the small print.

Lee,
Before you get too carried away with your copier, just confirming that these are the diagrams that you have? There are 9 pages of diagrams for the 88 Model Carrera.
Bill, did you ever get a good copy of these diagrams. This whole section is the one I am looking for, for the 88 turbo. These seem to be the closest to what is actually is in the car. I have the digital copy and they are not clear at all.

Lee, if you have these that would be perfect.

Tim, I am a computer savy and have access to some good scanners, if you still need help I would be willing to help scan and provide a nice digital copy to you and who ever else needs it.

After all, I am a furloughed government employee with plenty of time on my hands...
1974 Porsche 911 (2003 - 2012)
2000 Boxster S (2006 - 2008)
Old 10-09-2013, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
Certified User

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DohertyCM View Post
Bill, did you ever get a good copy of these diagrams. This whole section is the one I am looking for, for the 88 turbo. These seem to be the closest to what is actually is in the car. I have the digital copy and they are not clear at all.
CM, I can email you a copy of the scanned 88 Carrera diagrams that are rough but legible.
I also have redrawn diagram sheet 6, engine only, for 86 930 which includes some of the fuse box connections.
PM me your email address if you want a copy.
Memories: '68 912, '72 911T, '80 911SC, '84 911, '85 930, '86 930, '87 911
Old 10-10-2013, 04:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: