Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

911 A/c

I've been reading tons of posts about 911 A/C, or the lack thereof. I'm currently refurbishing my A/C system, and have basically stripped everything from the car.

I've run new hoses, had the evaporator and rear quarter condensor cleaned, flushed and pressure tested, and bought new fans, compressor, rear lid condensor, etc. After reading all the posts, I'm wondering if I should have just bought a 12V fan from Discount Auto Parts! It's a little discouraging to think that all this time, money and effort may reap mediocre results.

The question I have is this.......I owned two '74 VW Superbeetles as a kid, and both had "factory" A/C. They were underdash systems, similar to that found in my car. What I can't understand is that both A/C systems would freeze you out of the car. My first Superbeetle was black, and even in the Florida summer, the system would blow icicles.

I can't believe the system in my Superbeetle's was that different from the systems found in the early Porsche's, so why is it that 911 A/C can't work as good as the one in my VW's?

Old 04-24-2002, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to 83SC in PA
I know what you mean. I threw hundreds of dollars at the one in my 83 SC coupe last summer and it still blew warm air. Ended up removing it during my recent top end job. I wouldn't waste the money. Just my .02.
77 Scirocco(Diamondsilver metallic)
74 TR-6(Magenta)
Old 04-24-2002, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Hbrand

Garage
911 a/c

The a/c system in 911's works fine if you get the car to the right shop for repair and upgrade.
for info contact bmcar1@aol.com

thanks, harold
Old 04-24-2002, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
The compressor on the older cars is the problem. If you upgrade to a Sanden, then your problems will not go away, but be better. Stay with R-12 though. If you do convert, then you need to add an additional condenser coil.

Adding a fan will probably not do much good seeing that the condenser is in line with the engine fan - lots of air being pulled across it.

An upgrade for the blower motor in the smugglers box would also help - more air flow = more air circulating in the drivers compartment along with more cooing capacity with the new compressor.

I recently converted mine over to 134a and added a different fan in the smugglers box. Had to cut the plastic brackets off and place flat straps to hold the new motor. Have a lot better air flow but I need to do more work on the condensing side.

Larger condensing coils = greater efficiency.

Steve
Old 04-24-2002, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Well, I think I'm giving myself the best shot at getting a decent performing system in the car. The new compressor is in fact a Sanden, and I'll have two condensers, the static, lid mounted condensor, and a fan cooled, quarter mounted condensor.

The lid mounted condenser is also new, and it's from a later model car, so it has many more loops than the old one. Also, the old condensor only covered half the grill opening, while the new one spans the entire opening.

I've also been certain to use an R12 compatible expansion valve and dryer. I've been battling with the R12 vs. R134 issue, but I looked at the condensor in my wifes Honda Odyssey, and it is huge, with two fans. I've come to the realization that there's no way I can avoid using R12, unless I signficantly increase my condenser area, which is expensive.

With the new barrier hoses, I figure R12 will be a worthwhile investment on the cooling side. I have a friend with a '66 Vette that had factory air (rare), and his blows ice cold and has never been touched!!! As such, if the work is done properly, I think an R12 system will handily outperform an R134 system, and can certainly last a long, long time.

I hope to have this completed by the end of next week, so I'll let ya'll know how things turn out!
Old 04-24-2002, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Smile ok cool

I'm in orlando, fl and the last few days have in the 90s and with a burgundy color the heat fairly hot with my 83 911sc. I have upgraded the system to new using a rotary pump and for as hot as it is i think it works ok. I hate to think of not having the ac, I would really cook.
cooling down
Old 04-24-2002, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Still running stock Mr. Shakey (York) in the '83. Makes Louisiana bearable. Just a shot of R12 every couple years and a new front condensor fan mtr.
Old 04-24-2002, 06:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

The AC in a 911 is regulated to blow air that is approximately 10 degree's cooler then the outside air. If it is 80 degree's out, it will blow 70 degree air at you. You will constantly be thinkings " Is this air getting cold? Yes it feels a bit cooler. I'm still getting hot though. Screw it, I'm opening the window!" Germans know performance, but they don't know AC. I was told be a knowledgable chap that Audi's didn't get there AC act together until they go help from GM!!
Old 04-24-2002, 07:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Don't despair. I had an aftermarket A/C in my '75 911S and it worked fine for many years, so I know it's definitely possible to properly cool a Porsche. I'm currently upgrading because the compressor seal started leaking and the hoses started to rot (old age eventually took it's toll). I'm currently installing a new system and staying with R-12 and I am confident that it will work fine.

Old 04-26-2002, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: