Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackrash View Post
What fittings are those? Are there adapters we can't see?
The oil lines were fabricated by Greg @ Precision Motorwerks in Fullerton CA.
The AN to metric adapter is integrated with a rotational collar in the 90 degree fitting for minimal fitting length and the needed fitting orientation.
The oil line from the tank is also partially recessed into the CUT tub frame rail and enclosed in high density foam with a rubberized coating. This mod allow me to run Pirelli 315/680 slicks or even the 70's from Michelin without rubbing the AN-16 hose in a CCW direction on the racetrack.
WHY DONE: I'm not gonna be the guy whose tire inadvertently shreds and flails the stock oil lines to death and puts the guy behind me into an oily track situation, seen it before, peace out

869#
AKA "Gemma"
Old 04-02-2018, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)
Registered

Resurrecting this thread guys.Im definately installing braided hoses (oil lines) on my 78SC.Will obviously run from Carrera Oil cooler.I have seen a few examples of lines, running under sills.Anyone tried this.Experiences?
Old 04-02-2019, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)
Vintage Owner

Garage
As braided lines will not transfer as much heat as the original hard lines, why replace them? I’d think every little bit of cooling helps.
75 GMC Motorhome
Old 04-02-2019, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)
Registered

From past installs I've seen, flex hose is usually larger than the factory metal tubes and can't hug the chassis as closely, esp. under the jack receptacle. A large radius is a result and thus very visible, especially w/braided SS hose, and to some, untidy.

It's a lot more work, but routing hose through the lower chassis structure is one option.

Sherwood
Old 04-02-2019, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)
Almost Done

Garage
Braided lines won’t provide the cooling the original hardline or the elephant racing do
Old 04-02-2019, 08:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7783911 View Post
Braided lines wont provide the cooling the original hardline or the elephant racing do
The original factory trombone cooler and metal lines are borderline effective with 2.7 and larger engines in hot environments. I would suggest a proper finned oil cooler fed with good air flow and not depend on rigid oil lines to provide basic oil cooling.

Sherwood
Old 04-03-2019, 02:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Registered

my 78 project car had these steel braided lines. will replace with correct metal lines. considering the ER 'finned' lines.

anyone have experience with the 'finned' lines?

if anyone wants the old lines they can have them for shipping.
86 944 turbo my new DE/track car.
78 930 clone project car.
Old 04-03-2019, 05:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)
Vintage Owner

Garage
The finned lines should help with heat transfer. Back in the 80s, Lemke Design sold a Turbotrol finned oil cooler kit that was a popular retrofit to the 2.7s that Porsche didn’t think we needed in the USA (due in part with our 55mph speed limit in those dark days).
75 GMC Motorhome
Old 04-03-2019, 07:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)
Registered

I recently added the ER finned fines to my build they look nice well see how they perform. Keep in mind though that the O.D. of the lines are larger than the original.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Send a message via AIM to cmcfaul Send a message via Yahoo to cmcfaul Send a message via Skype™ to cmcfaul
Much of the cooling is done by the lines. Thats why the original oil cooler was the trumbone which was just more brass lines.. braded lines are a downgrade.

Chris
Old 04-03-2019, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

Oil Cooler

Just a thought, why not install a oil cooler under the decklid just like they do with the aircond condenser ? Shorter oil lines, more air with ducktail or whale tail.
Old 10-28-2019, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
"Much of the cooling is done by the lines. Thats why the original oil cooler was the trumbone which was just more brass lines.. braded lines are a downgrade."
Only when the trombone "cooler" is used. It's not really an effective radiator.

Quote:
"Just a thought, why not install a oil cooler under the decklid just like they do with the aircond condenser ? Shorter oil lines, more air with ducktail or whale tail."
Because heat transferred from the oil to the oil cooler would be recycled as heated air into the engine. The A/C condenser was also misplaced due to the same reason mentioned. There wasn't a better place to put it.

Sherwood
Old 10-28-2019, 11:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Stands View Post
As braided lines will not transfer as much heat as the original hard lines, why replace them? Id think every little bit of cooling helps.
@ the racetrack, I have seen the result of a stock oil line getting shredded by a big rear tire carcass.
I just don't wanna be that guy that dumps oil at all cost, someone else can get hurt badly.
Full length AN 20 stainless steel braided lines rerouted help minimize that risk for me. Also by replacing the oil tank fitting and tucking it into the tub opening, I can fit 315 slicks within my turbo flares and run full suspension loading with no rub

869#
AKA "Gemma"
Old 10-29-2019, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: