Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche Crest ICE COLD A/C GETTING 30's F

ICE COLD A/C 30's F 85 911 Carrera

HOWDY my name is Reid,

Please Bare with me I am still writing this

ICE COLD A/C 911 install BY Justin Stokes at Stokes Automotive Porsche in Fort Lauderdale, & involved only the addition of my Custom Made 911 Front and Rear PFC's, new a/c hoses, thermal expansion valve, and an OEM 911 A/C compressor after the compressor died a black death. The evaporator was only flushed at the shop and then re-used.

NOTE: Front and a Rear PFC's are Completely Sealed To The 911 Body; NO AIR GOES AROUND THEM; IT CAN ONLY GO THROUGH THEM USING ONLY STOCK PORSCHE 911 OEM FANS!!!

33.6 F air vent temp using R134A 85 911 Carrera

I have been very carefully developing and testing custom designed Porsche 911 Parallel Flow Micro-Channel Condensers (PFC's) and other 911 A/C components for some time now overcoming many Nay Sayers and proving my designs; after spending about 4 years doing research into PFC technologies related for my 1975 Carrera to make it very cold using only R134A.

I am the new kid on the block in the 911 A/C industry and I highly respect my competitors and intend to keep good and friendly relationships with them!

However FYI I am on a different path and I have completely rejected older A/C heat exchanger technologies other people use, after a complete analysis’s for the state of the art heat exchanger technologies I use, or will be using the moment this technology improves to any higher efficiencies I will change in a heartbeat.

This may ruffle some feathers from Nay Sayers etc., or others, but “TO MAKE YOUR 911 VERY COLD THE GREATEST KEY IS YOUR CONDENSERS” ; YOU DON’T NEED TO THROW A TON OF MONEY INTO YOUR 911 A/C System to make it “COLD”, but you do need the most efficient CONDENSERS you can get; and in my book they are the best & latest technology PFC’s BOTH FRONT AND REAR FOR NORMAL CLIMATES! (this statement is valid as long as your other 911 A/C components simply work normally & properly) Your original OEM Behr evaporator, And other original OEM A/C components as long as they are still in good condition & work normally as designed and have no refrigerant leaks

Yes there are a few additional 911 tricks you can do to make your 911 colder and/or better & more comfortable in different driving conditions

But This ICE COLD 911 85 Carrera pictured Justin at Stokes Automotive just installed my PFC’s into says what’s most important

if you care to see & read what I have been writing/posting here go here > I make Parallel Flow Micro-Channel Condensers for 911's front and rear >>> I make Parallel Flow Micro-Channel Condensers for 911's front and rear

I am a 30 plus years experienced Professional Marine Mechanical Engineer I have worked on some of the very finest, largest and most expensive Motor Yachts in the world for 30 years; that have all kinds of very hi-tech sophisticated systems and I work on all engineering aspects related to the Yacht; not to mention some very sophisticated multi-stacked computer controlled A/C compressor systems that cost probably as much as your house (smile) that keeps these large yachts cold year round to protect an extremely expensive yacht interior from the marine environment as well as keep the billionaire owners and guests comfortable. BTW: I was also a journeyman level auto mechanic by the time I was 16 from spending years as an apprentice in my father’s automotive shop after school and during summer school breaks before getting into Yacht mechanical engineering accidently at 18; ALTHOUGH I AM OLD SCHOOL, what sets me apart from many others is I can think OUTSIDE THE BOX TO DEVELOPE NEW SOLUTIONS FOR DIFFICULT PROBLEMS

Last edited by KelogGes; 04-28-2012 at 07:36 AM..
Old 04-27-2012, 03:27 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Porsche Crest I make custom 911 Parallel Flow Micro-Channel Condenser's Using Latest Technologies

Custom Designed PFC's 911 Porsche 1963-1989 930 Front & Rear Deck Lid Contour Fit
(Parallel Flow Micro-Channel Condenser's Using Latest Technologies)

Patent Pending Not For Export

Thanks for viewing;

Regards,

Reid Kelly

(954) 599-5235 Fort Lauderdale
Old 04-27-2012, 03:33 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

Old 04-27-2012, 03:36 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

CUSTOM MADE A/C FILTER
Old 04-27-2012, 03:38 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

Old 04-27-2012, 03:42 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

Old 04-27-2012, 03:43 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Porsche Crest

Old 04-27-2012, 03:44 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Porsche Crest 911 Carrera A/C Air Vent Temps of 33.7 F @ 80-82 degrees ambient & 52 % humidity

SAFE air vent temps of 37.9 F @ 80-82 degrees ambient & 52 % humidity

Although this 85 911 Carrera easily achieves afternoon in the heat of the day, air vent temps of 33.7 F @ 80-82 degrees ambient & 52 % humidity, WITH THE ADDITION OF ONLY MY FRONT AND REAR CUSTOM PATENT PENDING PFC’s, 1.5 Lbs R-134A, & VERY LITTLE MINOR TWEEKING; the air vent temps are so close too or below evaporator freezing with the system evaporator probe removed the A/C System is freezing up at the local ambient temps and humidity we have currently in Fort Lauderdale Friday, April 27, 2012 !!!

Therefore the evaporator thermostat probe which controls the compressor clutch on and off switch, was simply re-inserted to a point inside the plastic evaporator box to a level slightly pulled out that would allow the A/C System to run without freezing up, slightly above evaporator freezing at air-vent temps sub-38 F degrees!

NOTE: To make this 911 run colder would be easy to take only a little more simple minor A/C tweaking, but would cost its owner more shop labor cost! The question you need to ask yourself is how cold is cold enough do you really need your 911 to be? (smile)

BOTTOM LINE: ANY 911 CAN ACHIEVE THIRTY DEGREE AIR-VENT TEMPS USING ONLY MY FRONT & REAR CUSTOM DESIGNED 911 PFC’S !!!

Believe it or don’t; This 1985 911 Carrera is using all Porsche OEM A/C Parts, except that the OEM front and rear tube and fin condensers were removed, and my custom front and rear PFC’s were installed and only minor tweaking was needed.

>>> THAT’S IT TO GET ICE-COLD IN YOUR 911! <<<

Best Regards,
Reid

33.6 F air vent temp using R134A

Old 04-27-2012, 03:48 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

NOTE: NO ADDITIONAL FANS WERE NEEDED BESIDES THE PORSCHE ENGINE FAN & STOCK OEM FRONT BEHR CONDENSOR FAN EVEN IN STOP AND GO DRIVING

NOTE: ENGINE OIL TEMPS WERE ALWAYS WITHIN NORMAL & SAFE RANGES IN ALL CONDITIONS!!!

NOTE: DO TO POTENTIAL EVAP ICING AT TEMPS THIS LOW; A/C COMPRESSOR HIGH PRESSURE CUT OUT SWITCH IS NEEDED TO PROTECT THE COMPRESSOR; THAT IS NOT NORMALLY INSTALLED ON OLDER 911's!!!

HOWEVER additional front fans would further be recommended for extended idling parked when talking on cell phone

If you notice the Rock Guard is removed, its because my front PFC is bigger in length and width but much smaller in thickness then the OEM, I will be re-designing a new one when I have more time;

However FOR MY FRONT PFC I HAVE SPECIAL 911 VERY HIGH CFM & VERY SLENDER WATERPROOF FANS ON ORDER that have metal guards (more on this later)
Old 04-27-2012, 04:16 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

Please Bare with me I am still writing this & editing
Old 04-29-2012, 03:01 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
R.I.P.

Very interested. I'm running a Turbo rear wing, do you make a larger condenser ?
Old 04-29-2012, 04:14 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmatera View Post
Very interested. I'm running a Turbo rear wing, do you make a larger condenser ?
Howdy drmatera,

Cool you are local near me in Boca, I am not too far South off 95.

call me (954) 599-5235 Fort Lauderdale mobile Reid Kelly Captain/Chief Engineer

Have you heard of Stokes Automotive Porsche repair thats been in business for 30 plus years or so and is well respected here in South Florida? Justin Stokes is the owner and an old friend of mine and I use Stokes shop for designing/building and testing my PFC prototypes

FYI if needed I can custom make Hi-Tech PFC's in almost any size but am currently focused mainly on 911s, and will soon becoming out PFC's For Air Cooled 911 Turbo deck lids, and also front side fender's and desert duty single/duel rear fender PFC's. I also in the future will be doing other exotic cars that have special custom designed needs

But why would you want larger then my Rear Deck Lid Contour PFC shown above in the pictures I posted ??

You show here in your profile that you have an 86 Turbo and an Intercooler so for your rear deck-lid and tail I would think you would want smaller for this area???

hmm I am not sure what you need exactly or why or where/how you want it mounted?

You might be interested in seeing what I recently wrote about after I finished a custom 2004 RSA you can begin reading about here PORSCHE RS AMERICA Parallel Flow Micro-Channel A/C Condensers and scrolling down the page for the first pictures etc that gets air vent temps in the 30s I make Parallel Flow Micro-Channel Condensers for 911's front and rear

And you can also read from where I started posting about what I am doing related to PFC's for 911s about a year ago starting here

I make Parallel Flow Micro-Channel Condensers for 911's front and rear
I make Parallel Flow Micro-Channel Condensers for 911's front and rear

The links I posted go to different pages

Last edited by KelogGes; 04-30-2012 at 04:25 AM..
Old 04-29-2012, 07:35 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelogGes View Post
NOTE: DO TO POTENTIAL EVAP ICING AT TEMPS THIS LOW; A/C COMPRESSOR HIGH PRESSURE CUT OUT SWITCH IS NEEDED TO PROTECT THE COMPRESSOR; THAT IS NOT NORMALLY INSTALLED ON OLDER 911's!!!

)
dont you mean a low pressure switch. as the evap temp goes down, the low side gets lower.

i agree about the condensors. better condensors and better air flow over them has more of a benefit.

i did not read all your posts, too long. when you did your test, was the AC fan switch on hi?
99 GRAND CHEROKEE 160K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
02 HONDA ACCORD[__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING::
Old 04-30-2012, 06:42 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Any thoughts on improving the air flow over the front condenser?
83 SC Targa -- 3.2SS, GT2-108 Dougherty Cams, 9.5:1 JE Pistons, Supertec Studs, PMO ITB's, MS2 EFI, SSI's, Recurved Dizzy, MSD, Backdated Dansk Sport Stainless 2 in 1 out, Elephant Polybronze, Turbo Tie Rods, Bilstein HD's, Hollow 21-27 TBs, Optima Redtop 34R, Griffiths-ZIMS AC, Seine Shifter, Elephant Racing Oil Cooling.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:26 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
R.I.P.

Reid, I have a stock Turbo wing and also a DP extended wing. While I do have a full bay intercooler on the car now I plan to go with a liquid/air intercooler so the wing will be wide open for a condenser... and since I want to eliminate the front condenser I was hoping to put one large one in the wing.. And as you know S. Fl. heat and Porsche a/c are arch enemies

Darin
Old 04-30-2012, 03:17 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

guys please excuse me to temporary and allow me to go off topic here for the moment from this thread I created regarding the PFCs on the Black 33.6 F air vent temp using R134A 85 911 Carrera

I want to post something about 911 Turbo's condensers and turbo wale tails for Darin; I will asap move over to my main PFC thread area that have nothing to do with your non-turbo normally aspirated 911s

I have several other questions I know that need to be answered here by you guys so please bare with me, as soon as I finish a few words and pictures to Darin about Turbo's I will answer your waiting questions

I don’t have Darin’s who lives near me and his phone number yet

Reid

Last edited by KelogGes; 04-30-2012 at 06:19 PM..
Old 04-30-2012, 06:14 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
R.I.P.

Reid, I'll try and touch base with you tomorrow. I do know who Stokes is. My mechanic is Kevin @ KMW, i'm sure Justin knows him.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:26 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmatera View Post
Reid, I'll try and touch base with you tomorrow. I do know who Stokes is. My mechanic is Kevin @ KMW, i'm sure Justin knows him.

Great Darin, I am looking forward to talking with you and meeting you; I am very interested in
doing turbo's with a new version design PFC's but to be honest I have not done one yet.

However I have been deeply thinking about new PFC designs for turbos since last year.

FYI This is an interesting turbo that is in the shop now that Stokes just completely rebuilt
the engine and almost done and ready for delivery;

This is a rare picture I just took the other day because it includes Butch Stokes who completely
rebuilt as new this modified turbo engine (Butch is the original founder of Stokes Automotive
who is basically retired now and only comes in occasionally to rebuild Porsche engines
if you can twist his arm to get him)

This retro-fitted Turbo is also interesting because as it has the owners rear deck lid generic PFC

Note: I have not talked to the owner yet of this turbo about his A/C but I plan too!
I do not like how he just hung a generc PFC he found somewhere that will dump PFC waste heat into
his intercooler and also I do not know how efficent this universal generic pfc is; however I have
tested this manufacturers universal generic pfc's last year and rejected them as not being anywhere
near as eficent as the technology I am using in my pfc designs

Old 05-01-2012, 05:35 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
R.I.P.

very nice... I couldn't find a free moment to chat with you today but I have your # and will be calling at the first oportunity
Old 05-01-2012, 03:00 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
No disrespect is meant here, but we don't use A/C at 80-85 degrees. "It's a dry heat."
I'd like to see those vent temps on a 95-100 degree 90% humidity Florida summer day. If it can cool then, I'm in.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:48 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: