Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Targa Window Seal Gaps

Now that my new SC is home, its time to get her ready to drive in the rain!
She has a brand "new" Targa top, but the driver's side window doesn't quite seal on the rear end. See the pictures below.
My impression from reading around the board is that if I take the door card off, I'll find something that allows me to adjust the window's angle and make everything match up.
Is that correct?
Should I try this on a weekday evening, or wait until I have a few more hours on the weekend?

Old 05-01-2012, 05:52 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Hi
The rain gutters/side rubbers can be moved a little out-wards
That might help a bit.
Cant remember the adjusters on the rear of the glass, think there the 1s on the end of the winder arms, front are next to each other/quarter window.
It took a little time to play around with it all.
Do it at the weekend so plenty of time and only loosen the bolts off enough to move it.
Others might have done this more recent than me and remember a bit more Hope this helps

Paul
Old 05-01-2012, 06:38 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

that's not a window problem. Do you have the proper side seals and rear seal? That rear seal should have cloth on it up the sides
Old 05-01-2012, 12:23 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Does anyone on this 'Board have a copy of the addendum on sealing Targa tops (I believe it also has some Cabriolet advice as well)?

If not please PM me and I will shoot you a copy. Of course, this cannot replace the correct seals and the like, but it will help.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:02 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I got a copy of "Targa Roof Repairs" Porsche School book. Its a funny shade of green and looks like it will be useful.

@RSTarga - I have a "new" top on it but on the driver's side at the rear-ward edge of the window, the window doesn't reach high enough to meet the Targa top. If by "rear seal" you mean the one on the car frame, it seals fine. The only gap is between the window and the Targa top.

The PO says the old top fit all around, but after the rebuild of the top no longer mates on that side. On the passenger side there is no gap.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:12 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

It does not look like your rear seal has the notch to let the top side seal fit in place. You can try removing the roof and by loosening the screws holding the side seal slide it out as much as you can and then tighten up. What does it look like at the front.
That green book should illustrate how to adjust the window height and the bolts you need to loosen to adjust the window frame. You have to remove the door card. It varies by year and wether you have electric windows. I'd first make sure you have the correct front and rear seals.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:31 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
After further inspection, it appears the issue may be the seal adjustment on the top window edge - the seal that is on the Targa top.
On the passenger side the seal has been adjusted to extend about 1 inch down from the metal edge of the top.
On the driver side the seal is about 1/2 and inch down from the metal edge. This seems to be the source of the gap. With my trusty green book I'll try to rectify this problem tonight.

Now if only they would stop predicting hail then I could take her out to work. As it is I'm driving the SUV because I don't want to get pelted.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:50 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I read over the green Targa adjustment book and it only refers to changes to make on the doors and roll bar, and does not cover adjustments to the seals on the Targa top itself. However I suspect I will be able to figure it out at home under a bright light.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:14 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Just add lightness...

Garage
OsoMoore
Do you have a Porsche booklet titled "Sealing the 911" ?

nineelevenophilia.wordpress.com
Old 05-02-2012, 09:32 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by prebordao View Post
OsoMoore
Do you have a Porsche booklet titled "Sealing the 911" ?
No, I have "Targa Roof Repairs" (the green book), 101 Projects, a factory manual (not sure if its Bentley, I'll have to look when I'm home), and a few others. But I don't believe I have "Sealing the 911".
Old 05-02-2012, 09:36 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Just add lightness...

Garage
I can send it if you want

nineelevenophilia.wordpress.com
Old 05-02-2012, 09:37 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

send me a pm with your email and i will send you the 2 targa top manuals.
He is.... nineball. I don't always drive sports cars, but when I do I drive a 1983 911SC Targa. Stay fast my friends.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:49 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
targa top manuals

Hi everybody!
I am very interested in these manuals too.
nineball, I have sent you my email hoping to get the files!
Thank you!
Old 05-03-2012, 04:38 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for all the manuals from everyone.
I worked on the top for a while last night, and thought I could adjust the seal that is part of the Targa Top downward to close some of the gap. Unfortunately, that only moved the location of the gap, and it still leaked.
Also, my wife and I tested with a hose and found some other leaking at other spots on the windows. Storms were predicted for today, so I had to drive the SUV to work.

However, I have a new idea about how to fix it, and I have lots of info from the various manuals. Here is my idea about what is wrong.
When I raise the window (its is electric) it slows down a lot at the very top of its motion. Also, the front edge of the window raises higher than the little triangular front window. Meanwhile the back end is too low. This creates both a gap above the triangular window, and also a gap at the back edge of the main window. I think that when I open up the window mechanism I may be able to re-align the window track so that the window is properly aligned.

The gaps in this picture are slightly exaggerated.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:52 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
The Green Hornet

Garage
There is info in Bentleys shop manuel for adjusting your window alignment, both fore and aft as well as changing the height bat which it stops. Just did it. You have to remove your door panel however. See other threads as well. Lotsd of good info out there by our fellow 911ers.

jf kruse, 83 SC Targa (love it)
Old 05-03-2012, 06:14 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
I received the Bentley manual from the PO, so I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get this fixed.

I went night driving with the top off for the first time last night. Pulling onto the highway in 3rd, and punching it from 35 to 70 in just a few seconds is amazing! After all the stress of dealing with work, class, and insurance it is a great stress relief. It also helped my wife feel better about the money for the car. Hurray for Targa tops!
Old 05-03-2012, 06:25 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Anyone able to post or email pics And instructions from the manuals?
Old 05-05-2012, 01:23 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to DRACO A5OG
There basically 3 adjustment points:

Assuming top sits properly, you want to insure the quarter (triangle) is properly aligned and the gap to the front window is even the top portion is not at an angle and high enough to seal, all this while checking the alignment while the door is closed. I found removing the seal helps in alignment here.

Next would be the rear of the door again the angle is important here to insure it is just snug and not too angle to put too much pressure on the inner perpendicular rails.

Now the height and parallelism. raise window so it is about 1/4" below the seal then adjust the parallelism then raise to fit under the seal guide.

Test drive at speed to listen for wind noise. If the car flexes allot, it will take several tries to find the sweet spot.

I have a targa body brace so flex is very minimal.
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.2 * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * M&K Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Magnecor * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC
Old 05-05-2012, 03:18 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

What Draco said. This is parallelism if it's off as pictured. I would wait for the weekend if you've never been in the door before... I need to adjust my rails but it's a mess of never loosened bolts covered with door gunk. Gonna do the seals first I think since I fixed the regulator last weekend and don't want to see the inside of the door for awhile...
Old 05-05-2012, 03:57 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Did you get it fixed Oso?

If so, what was the fix? Might be helpful to all targa users.
83 SC Targa -- 3.2SS, GT2-108 Dougherty Cams, 9.5:1 JE Pistons, Supertec Studs, PMO ITB's, MS2 EFI, SSI's, Recurved Dizzy, MSD, Backdated Dansk Sport Stainless 2 in 1 out, Elephant Polybronze, Turbo Tie Rods, Bilstein HD's, Hollow 21-27 TBs, Optima Redtop 34R, Griffiths-ZIMS AC, Seine Shifter, Elephant Racing Oil Cooling.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:55 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)
Old 05-05-2012, 04:55 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: