Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Carrera RS pics w/ metal tail badge

I thought I remembered someone wanting to see metal RS tags. Well, here's an og 1973 RS from the PCA auto-x in Rantoul IL.
The way this car moves is just amazing!

back end

Also... here's a '74 carrera w/ 2.7 RS spec engine/ flares/ ducktail etc. The owner didn't know exactly what to call it. It's been restored. Any guesses guys?

Enjoy!

Old 05-06-2002, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I suppose anything is possible via special order or an owner-made change over the past 30 years, but this is very unusual. Porsche made a plastic 'Carrera RS' prototype emblem that looked similar to that, but it didn't make it to production - they used decals instead. Also, I have never seen or heard of the gold P-O-R-S-C-H-E decklid lettering on an RS?? -- Curt
Old 05-06-2002, 04:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I do know that it is the real deal, but it was totalled at one point. I'm told that this owner has worked w/ Porsche and Ruf at various stages of his life.

Could this be replacement parts from the total?
I know he rebuilt it after he wrecked it a while back. My information is vague, but I think he races it regularly.
Man, those early recaro's inside are nice! I think he has a replica as well. I'm not sure, your guess is as good as mine.
The photo quality is bad as my Universities libraries scanner isn't so hot along with their terrible photo-program. Plus, I just threw em up real quick as I've get finals in a few days!
Best,
Pete
Old 05-06-2002, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Curt - the white original RS shown in VWpte's initial post is a 'Touring' (M472) version as opposed to the 'Sport' (M471) commonly referred to as the 'Lightweight' version (the one most people copy when they build an RS replica).

Touring versions (far more common than Lightweights) were fitted with steel front & rear bumpers, 'std' S interior (including door panels) & the plastic 'raised' rear Carrera RS decklid emblem - it was the 'Lightweight' that had the grp f&r bumpers & Carrera RS decal.

Andy Boyle (UK)
'69 911E
Old 05-07-2002, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
RANTOUL! What's an auto-x doing in Rantoul?! I used to work for Bell Helmets, know Rantoul pretty well, and I can't believe there is a German car in town, let alone a Porsche!

Well, now, I see you are from Peoria, is that where all the drivers are from?
Old 05-07-2002, 01:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

It is a great central location for the Lincoln Trail Region of PCA.
I think I was the only driver from Peoria. Drivers from Bloomington-Normal, Champaign-Urbana, Decatur, Springfield and the list goes on! It was held at Chanute Air Force Base. Good times!
Old 05-07-2002, 01:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I'm getting my information from Gruber/Konradsheim's 'Carrera RS' book. They indicate that all Carrera RS versions (RSH, RS (touring), RSL, and even RSR) had the 'Carrera RS' decal on the ducktail. The only options were color: red, blue, green for GP White cars and black decals for every other color. They show a photo of the plastic prototype emblem that was not used. There are no mention or photos of any P-O-R-S-C-H-E decklid lettering used in conjunction with a ducktail. -- Curt
Old 05-07-2002, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Curt, I don't have a copy of the Gruber/Konradheim book (yet) & have always regarded this as the 'bible' on the subject but I think that they have made a mistake here.

I have personally seen a number of RS Tourings at PCGB events fitted with these plastic emblems & pictures of this very emblem appears in Peter Morgan's 'Original Porsche 911' - pages 47/49 which shows Mark Waring's original Viper Green RS Touring.

Also one of these emblems is currently up for sale on ebay ! :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1826460464&r=0&t=0

Andy Boyle(UK)
'69 911E
Old 05-07-2002, 10:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

These badges are alloy (aluminum?). They have indeed been on some '73 RS , I know of at least two orginal cars with it. Mine has the sticker emblem (green).
In '76, the last 123 Carrera 2.7 were sold as RS, and they had the alloy badge too.
GeorgeK
Old 05-08-2002, 02:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I imagine they chose decals over the badge - because they weigh less ; )
flickr
Old 05-08-2002, 02:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
OK, what about the gold P-O-R-S-C-H-E decklid lettering? That seems really strange! -- Curt
Old 05-08-2002, 03:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I realize that I am posting to a thread that is over a decade old, but I have one of these badges and have taken some close up pictures for the record.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
This is an old thread, but worth clarifying...the metal CarreraRS badge is factory and came on 74 & 75 2.7 RS Carreras and was fitted in the center of the rear hatch whether you had a duck(74)or whale tail(late 74 and all of 75) I understand these were all euro cars...some owners moved the emblem high right like the 73 because it was felt it looked more appropriate on a duck tail...so sometimes that is seen....The 73 RS had a decal applied high and right...some owners added the metal badge from 74 model year to their 73 in place of the decal...non-RS Carreras in 74 -75 only had a small metal Carrera emblem centered on the deck lid...some owners opted to go with a decal...usually if a ducktail...
The metal CarrreraRS emblem pictured is Porsche part 911 559 317 03
Old 01-21-2020, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage

Old 01-21-2020, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccus944 View Post
This is an old thread, but worth clarifying...the metal CarreraRS badge is factory and came on 74 & 75 2.7 RS Carreras and was fitted in the center of the rear hatch whether you had a duck(74)or whale tail(late 74 and all of 75) I understand these were all euro cars...some owners moved the emblem high right like the 73 because it was felt it looked more appropriate on a duck tail...so sometimes that is seen....The 73 RS had a decal applied high and right...some owners added the metal badge from 74 model year to their 73 in place of the decal...non-RS Carreras in 74 -75 only had a small metal Carrera emblem centered on the deck lid...some owners opted to go with a decal...usually if a ducktail...
The metal CarrreraRS emblem pictured is Porsche part 911 559 317 03
Are you certain? I find it odd that a car not known as a Carrera RS has a badge on the rear that reads “Carrera RS”. The Carrera RS was a one year only production, 1973. Unless the 3.0RS in ‘74 carried that badge?
Old 01-21-2020, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Hellraiser
if I remember correctly, the beirut rs has a metal badge (1973 rs touring)
Old 01-22-2020, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

i have a pair of carrera RS badge... yes they are both metal
Old 01-22-2020, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to mobius911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellraiser View Post
if I remember correctly, the beirut rs has a metal badge (1973 rs touring)
Yes. I believe that one was a "ducktail delete", possibly due to safety rules in the country. I have a vague recollection that cars delivered with standard metal decklids received the badge in place of the sticker.

Old 01-23-2020, 11:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: