Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Send a message via AIM to cmcfaul Send a message via Yahoo to cmcfaul Send a message via Skype™ to cmcfaul
after market windshield does not fit

Anyone have issues with an after market windshield not fitting correctly?

I bought and had installed a windshield from a local Porsche dealer (Porsche seal as well) and it does not go in all the way. It sticks out and looks like it could leak water into the window frame causing rust.

The OEM windshield is twice as expensive. Has anyone else had this issue? Before I plunk down another $500 for the OEM version I want to see if it should fix the problem.

Thanks,

Chris
73 911 E

Old 06-12-2012, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Some pictures might help. My windshield was replaced this year without issue using a seal from Pelican. A local installer recommended by my indy provided the windshield. I don't think it is oem, the glass was about $375 I think. I have read where others used safelite successfully.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Send a message via AIM to cmcfaul Send a message via Yahoo to cmcfaul Send a message via Skype™ to cmcfaul
Well I just ponied up $600 for an OEM windshield. The aftermarket one was $ 250. Am I the only one that has had difficulty with an aftermarket one? Going to be bad if the OEM has a similar fit issue. The Porsche dealer guy has apparently installed many of these. Maybe I just got a bad one or something want amiss with the install (i did find a length of rope still behind the seal)

Chris

73 911 E
Old 06-12-2012, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Air Medal or two

pix pix pix pix
I will bet its a goofed install

For those who have fought for it,
freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I will have pics tonight but I be you are right. I can push on it and it goes another 1/4 + inch in but does not stay in. It should be solid. I don't want to break it by pushing on it. My painter says he does not like it. Says it going to leak and cause rust in the window frame.

For $600 (just the glass) it better fit like a glove.

Chris

73 911 E
Old 06-12-2012, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Air Medal or two

There is a thing called "centering" LOL
A P.car windshield is SO simple to put in..I have done mine all alone and by myself..as well as the rear one LOL
BUT....one has to center it

Old 06-12-2012, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
don't know why mine is being such a *****. I took it out....no problem. Figured the Porsche guy could put it in no problem. Don't know what the problem is. He has done many so must be the glass. However, no one has come forward to say aftermarket glass is junk so I am skeptical it's the glass
Old 06-12-2012, 12:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Air Medal or two

I have used both kinds...For me there has been no difference..

Old 06-12-2012, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Porsche fanatic

I have installed several, I had an aftermarket once which did not fit. I just installed a good used Sigla I got for $100, seal popped right in, fits like a glove.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Air Medal or two

OK..lets say you do this for a living...could you not tell it is wrong?
So either way.
Someone is at fault

Old 06-12-2012, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Pilkington supplies replacement glass to BMW here in the states (my BMW front windshield was replaced not too long ago and has both the Pilkington name and BMW logo on it.

When I needed a new windshield for my 84 Carrera my installer recommended Pilkington. That is what he installed and the fit, quality and clarity is very good.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Air Medal or two

I dont know what to say here.So many are derailed by a silly windshield !
If you can adjust valves you sure as HELLL can do a windshield !

Old 06-12-2012, 02:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNS View Post
Pilkington supplies replacement glass to BMW here in the states (my BMW front windshield was replaced not too long ago and has both the Pilkington name and BMW logo on it.

When I needed a new windshield for my 84 Carrera my installer recommended Pilkington. That is what he installed and the fit, quality and clarity is very good.
Same here. No issues.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Grappler

Garage
I opted for the China made windshield because it is considerably lighter than the German version. Kind of like RS glass. No issues with fitment.

1976 RSR Backdate (Turbo 3.2)
Old 06-12-2012, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

If it looks like the seal is bulging I'm 99% sure it's the installer. Have him do it again. The windshield will need to get pressed down harder for the seal to fit. You'll see the outer edge of the rubber seal curl up on the frame. After the first corner is seated properly the windshield almost gets "sucked" in place.

Martijn
Old 06-12-2012, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
HoyaBear

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to hoyabear
Having safelite put glass in today. They are using Sigla replacement glass with antenna, I'll let everyone know how it fits.
'86 930: 3.4 Andial build, Web GT2 Evo cams, Carrillo rods, ported/polished heads, MSD 6530, B&B headers/exh + intercooler, K27HF, 1 bar spring, Tial wastegate, Andial FE, Lindsey Fuchs. Back in black!!!
Past:997S cab; '88 930; '86 951; C5 Vette; 4th Gen Z28; 3rd Gen Trans Am GTA; '71 Z28
Old 06-13-2012, 08:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcfaul View Post

I bought and had installed a windshield from a local Porsche dealer (Porsche seal as well) and it does not go in all the way. It sticks out and looks like it could leak water into the window frame causing rust.
Did you give the "installer" the opportunity to address the problem?
Old 06-13-2012, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyabear View Post
Having safelite put glass in today. They are using Sigla replacement glass with antenna, I'll let everyone know how it fits.
If you don't mind me asking, what is the price range for this?

Todd
Old 06-13-2012, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
For price just go to safelite website and get an instant quote.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I had difficulty finding a chain store replacement shop that could get a windshield for my car. It is 40 years old. My paing guy knows the parts manager at a local Porsche shop and got the glass at cost and put it in. Again don't know why the install is botched.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: