Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Aftermarket 911 Fuel Tank, Suggestions?

Need to replace the fuel tank on my 1975 911. Was very interested in purchasing the new aftermarket fuel tank from Pelican but have read several complaints, not to mention the fact that the tank is really not galvanized and that they often come with built in rust.

Was wondering if any of you have purchased one and is using it. Surprisingly, there are few options for a 911 fuel tank - mine is pretty bad, and it has a big dent in the bottom. If any of you are using that aftermarket tank drop me a line. Thanks again.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:58 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I just bought one from Pelican last month. It went in with no problems. Never heard it wasn't really galvanized. No rust. It was painted with Wurth sks Stoneguard grey.

'75 911s Targa
'01 BMW 330xi
'63 VW Beetle
Old 06-20-2012, 06:13 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I've been using an aftermarket 911 tank for about 4 years now. Aside from problems getting the fuel level sender installed, the tank has worked out just fine. No rust problems.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:43 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Dansk brand sells fuel tanks.

Seen on Ebay.

Fenders so.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:34 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
If you want to build a "Race Car Look", street car, but don't want to spend $2200 or $2400 for a "Fuel Safe" or an "ATL", maybe one of these would work:

Custom Aluminum Diesel and Gasoline Fuel Tank Pictures

You could have it configured to fit in place of the stock tank, and have a racing filler cap on top of it, or hook it to the original filler tube.

I saw one of these in a "Pro-Street" Mopar at a local car show and it was Awesome. Talked to the owner and he was very happy with it.

Just thinking outside the box.

Last edited by sam77rs; 06-21-2012 at 06:12 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 06-21-2012, 06:10 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Here is another idea:

You could set up one of the tanks in my link above the same way this one is. Or you could put a racing fuel cap on the oval shaped plate and delete the original filler tube.

I like the idea of being able to remove the oval shaped plate and have access to the inside of the tank. During winter storage you could have the inside of the tank completely clean and dry.

Still thinking outside box.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:33 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I installed the "sold by Pelican" version. The sending unit may need the holes opened slightly to seat on the tank, easy to do. Please check all the hose attachment points when you receive it, especially the threaded hose coupling on the bottom back, mine had the hole "off center" inside; and this did create major problems. Don't want to find that after painting and last step of install (you can guess when I found it). But good fit otherwise, you will need a new foam seal for around the tank, and the fuel filter shipped with the tank was not as good as my original so I reused it. Good time to refresh some of the other hoses too.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:23 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the all thoughtful and very informative replies. You guys made up my mind - I put in a order today for a new one from this site. Will keep you posted. Thanks again.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:47 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Old 06-21-2012, 10:47 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: