Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

road assistance plan

I have never had a road assistance plan and am more interested in getting my 1984 911 carrera to my home if i have a problem a good ways from my home rather than a mechanic shop as i do my own maintenance.I was looking into AAA or good sam and wondering if anybody has had good or bad service from either one.Thanks for your replies in advance.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Banned

I have been a AAA member for 28 years. Their roadside services have always been excellent. I currently have "RV Plus" and have even used it to have my 17' box truck towed three times in the last 14 years or so. When/if you call for a Porsche the operater already has the information that a flatbed is needed. Another nice thing is you can get assistance for any car you want (even if you do not own it).
Old 06-21-2012, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
porsher

Garage
Instead of giving my money to AAA I was thinking about getting a smart phone instead.

That way I can find local resources myself.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Location: Manhattan Beach, California. Factory Delivery-Original owner-Retired engineer
The Club.

Two thumbs way up for the AAA Club!!!

43 year member.

Good luck.

Gerry
In the window of a bar in Hermosa Beach, California.
"Happy Hour prices during all car chases."
Old 06-21-2012, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
'82 SC TL

Garage
Back in March 2012 I filled out a "Porsche Classics Roadside" (directly from Porsche Cars North America) giveaway to approx. 1500+/- owners here in Canada, and....I got it , totally for free for 1 year anywhere in North America service! I wonder if they are still doing/offering this, it really fortifies my brand loyalty and is just plain "awesome" for classic owners such as ourselves (I don't remember the age of vehicle qualification) but I think it goes right upto 5+/- years? Check it out
'89 Anniv. sil/linen very pretty miss her
'88 928S4 5spd. blu/blu cmplt.SS exh.chipped lowered
Old 06-21-2012, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
My GF had AAA years ago (80's) and one day we had her Mustang GT on the beach (we can drive and park on some of the north Florida beaches like Daytona) and ran down the battery playing the radio (My Sharona maybe? :-))

No problem, called AAA, who had a wrecker service setup. Problem was that wrecker service 'didn't go on the beach' and AAA wouldn't cover the one that could.

Not really AAA's fault, but since we couldn't use it the one time we needed it, we dropped them...

Chuck.H
'89 TurboLookTarga, 336k miles
maybe it was 'Tainted Love' -- listen to XM 33 they are all there :-)
Old 06-21-2012, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

at&t offers a roadside assistance plan that can be added to your phone bill for $2.99 a month. you can add or drop it anytime you like, so i add it on when i am doing a long distanace road trip and remove it when i get home.
He is.... nineball. I don't always drive sports cars, but when I do I drive a 1983 911SC Targa. Stay fast my friends.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Can't go wrong with AAA........

Get the AAA plus service. You might seldom use their service (towing) but one call in the middle of the night from a deserted road would pay several years of your membership. Specify that you need a flatbed for your car.

A friend of mine was doing track event in another state (New York) and his car brought down. He called me for assistance how to get his car home. I gave him my AAA membership number and home phone. Towing distance was almost 100 miles and he got home safely.

Don't leave home without a cell phone, AAA+ card, and a credit card.

Tony
Old 06-21-2012, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Hey thanks for the replies.Sounds like the AAA plus is the way to go.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Go-Kart Mozart

Garage
Many insurance companies offer a roadside assitance plan as a rider to your regular coverage. It's usually cheap too. $20/year or less. Worth a phone call.

J
Old 06-21-2012, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
I carry AAA Plus,...for sure. Never used it on the Porsche,..but have helped freinds (in need) out several times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Always a payback on those!!!!!!! Eh?

The one time in +6 years of driving, I experienced a "failure" (i.e.,"stranding") ,..however, I've not had to call AAA,..as it was the DME relay (which this owner quickly changed out and went on his merry way!).....I'm always loaded for bear!!!!!!!!!

Still I keep that AAA in place,..ALWAYS!!!!! The worst-case condition COULD happen...not expensive.

BEST to all,

Doyle
25th Anniversary Special Edition
Middle Georgia
Old 06-21-2012, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Better to have it then be stuck on a road somewhere cursing.

AAA+ here. Worth it.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Another vote for AAA+.

I've been a member for over 20 years and have not used them very often but when I needed it I was very glad to have it. Last year when my DME failed - luckily at home - they sent a flatbed and two guys and they helped push the car from the garage to the street. I know the trucks are subcontractors but they've been great every time.

I also have the Hagerty Insurance roadside assistance. I know it's redundant, but at least I'll have options.

Paul
Old 06-21-2012, 07:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Slippery Slope Victim

Me too......AAA plus Hagerty Insurance Roadside Assistance.

1985 M491
Old 06-22-2012, 02:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I have been a AAA member for 54 years (since I got my driver's license).
It has proved invaluable on several occasions.
Well worth AAA+ membership. It really works.
AAA will even reimburse your costs when their providers are not immediately available.

The “middle of the night, deserted road” scenario – having AAA+ can prevent you from getting ripped off.

This is in addition to a good cell phone and credit card.

Best,
Grady
Answers (correct) - - - - - - - - - - $12.50
Old 06-22-2012, 03:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
40 year member.....
Old 06-22-2012, 03:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: