Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Transmission/ Clutch problem in 73 911

I recently swapped a 2.4 for a 3.0 from a 81 SC. I had the flywheel for the 3.0 turned but installed the clutch, pressure plate and throughout from the 2.4. Now at a complete stop the car vibrates very hard and the shifter pops out of gear. If I take off in second it bogs a bit but doesn't vibrate at all. In reverse there is also no vibration. Once the car is moving it pulls hard with no slippage and if I down shift into first it doesn't vibrate when you accelerate. I checked the cable and I have about an inch of play at the pedal.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Amstaff; 08-03-2012 at 11:36 AM..
Old 08-03-2012, 11:24 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
You might try readjusting the shift linkage first to make sure it is properly engaging all the gears. Are the ball cup at the shifter and the coupler in the rear in good shape? Do you have good motor and transmission mounts so there is minimal twisting as power is applied?
Old 08-03-2012, 12:16 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Shutter

It was working fine before the motor swap so I don't think it is in the shifter. I did check the motor mounts and found one iffy so I changed it. The tranny mount looks fine.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:29 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Should have said too that the motor mount made no difference at all.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:30 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
As long as I have an inch or so of pedal play the shift linkage is adjusted right?
Old 08-03-2012, 01:35 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Clutch pedal play has nothing to do with the shifter linkage to the transmission. Things shift and move even if you didn't pull the transmission with the engine. I would definitely check to make sure everything is adjusted and the linkage points are not worn. You will find a lot of posts where the problems have been with adjustments and worn parts if you search. Transmission mounts may look good, but they could still allow movement.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:07 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Today I readjusted the shifter and it shifts without any problems. It goes into each gear without any trouble BUT.. it still "shutters" in first gear and then pops out of gear. If I start in second it pulls off smoothly. It pulls well in all gears and if I downshift into first or even just get the car rolling it pulls good in first gear without any vibration. There is absolutely no slipping of the clutch.

Any ideas?
Old 08-12-2012, 07:41 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Amstaff,

‘Judder’ (shutter) when slipping the clutch on first taking off is classically an issue with oil on the disc or ‘too smooth’ surfaces on the flywheel, PP and disc.
Can a transmission input shaft seal leak be putting oil into the center of the disc?
If so, when you do the repair, install the “Dam Seal” mod.

Carefully measure the run-out on the recently machined flywheel.

This vibration can also be from the moving-part (friction-plate) of the pressure plate being off-center.
Carefully measure the space between the moving-part (friction-plate) and the outer housing at 0º, 120º and 270º.
A set of number-size drill bit works well.

Also inspect the three ‘tension-springs’ in the PP. These must not be ‘kinked’ from loading in compression.
Related can be a cracked PP housing at the guide pins for the moving (friction) part of the PP.
Another can be a broken (cracked where difficult to see) diaphragm spring in the PP.

Are you sure you have the correct parts? 2.2 parts can appear the same.

Make sure there isn’t something between the flywheel and crankshaft (from the machine shop).

Check the torque on all the clutch fasteners (including flywheel-to-crankshaft).
These 12-point flywheel bolts (M10x1.25) should be “used once” but are far less susceptible than the earlier (M12x1.5) versions.
Are the four engine-to-transmission bolts (nuts) tight?

‘Popping out of gear’ can indicate damaged and worn engagement dogs in the transmission.
This may be a separate issue, exacerbated by ‘clutch judder’.
1st and 2nd gear are common issues.
Yes, you need to have your shift linkage bushings, ball-cup and mechanical pieces ‘like-new’. Always a first place to look on our nice, old 911s.

If considering engine/transmission mounts, only put ‘firm’ mounts at the transmission, not the engine.
Make sure all four of the studs between the transmission nose-piece and the transmission are not ‘pulling’.

With your continuing ‘popping-out-of-gear’, this problem needs to get resolved or you will increase damage to the transmission gear dogs.
These may need attention anyway.

Having the ‘improvement’ with shift linkage only increases my suspension of multiple issues.

With converting a 2.4 to 3.0, I’m assuming you have a ’72-’73 911. Is this the case?
If so, you don’t have the ‘Ω’ spring over-center clutch operation common to the later 911s.
This also may indicate you have the early 915 transmission with the ‘built from the inside’ input shaft seal.
More details please.

Best,
Grady
Answers (correct) - - - - - - - - - - $12.50
Old 08-12-2012, 09:05 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Ok, mark one up for being stupid. I was going to pull the engine today to replace the clutch and found that I had neglected to tighten the bottom two bell housing bolts. Tightened those two buggers up and it shifts perfect.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:03 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: