Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

'86 Carrera fuel pump symptoms?

First off, I'm searching, but figured I would post in hopes that someone who has had a known bad fuel pump might verify my symptoms.

I purchased my car after it had sat for nearly three years so I'm discovering all sorts of little fixes, but the fuel pump was the main reason it wouldn't initially start after getting it all back together. I pulled it and hooked 12 volts to it on a bench to see what would happen and to my surprise it came to life and shot fuel everywhere. So, I put it back in and the car started, but runs a little rough at idle. It will rev ok but under load it cuts out around 3k or so and gets worse as the engine warms up to temperature. The pump is pretty noisy so logic tells me it's shot, but does this sound like what anyone has experienced? My thinking is that the pump runs enough pressure to get the car started and running but not enough to do much more and as the pump gets hot it performs worse.

I checked the reference and speed sensors and will probably check the cylinder head temp sensor as well. I didn't have the right fitting to check fuel pressure, but since I plan to just replace the pump anyway I didnt figure it was necessary. I could always do the test to see how much it pumps in a certain amount of time.

I'm not trying to over think a simple part, but there's too many horror stories about going through all of the sensors motronic uses and I don't want to just throw parts at the car.

Thanks for any help!

Erik
Old 08-17-2012, 06:55 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
The screen in the bottom of the fuel tank may need to be cleaned.
New fuel filter may help also.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:21 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
muck-raker

Fuel pump sounds like it's on its way out. Drain fuel and fill with fresh fuel and a can of Sea Foam or Techron. Replace fuel filter.

FWIW, I recently had a similar running condition which you described. When car is warm, pull the cylinder head temp sender plug from its harness and jump the female end of the plug with a paper clip. If this smooths out your idle, you have located your issue.

Deny Everything; Admit Nothing; and Always Make Counter-accusations
Old 08-17-2012, 07:55 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks, it has a new fuel filter and fresh fuel with Techron added. I will probably check the screen but fuel seems to be flowing fine from the tank. Hadn't thought to jumper the cylinder head temp sensor, that's next!
Old 08-18-2012, 05:35 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Old 08-18-2012, 05:35 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: