Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
So put me on a highway

Garage
Fluctuating Idle

Idle on my 85 Euro Cab. started fluctuating from 800 to 1200 after the car warmed up. I read many post on the problem and replaced the PCV valve and O2 sensor (My Euro has one) since they were both cheap. Problem improved, but still not fixed. I found that if I tapped on the Idle Control Valve, the idle instantly settled in at 800. After a few seconds it would start to bounce again...tap, and it would go to 800.

Took the ICV off and cleaned it with carb. cleaner...no change...still bounced. Was ready to get a new ICV, but decided to clean it again. Soaked it in MEK and sprayed Radio Shack contact cleaner (had it from electric seat fix) in the valve. Idle is now rock solid after warm up.

Thanks to all the posts...especially to Draco for the "beat on it" advice. If the problem comes back, I think a new ICV is in order.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:32 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Vinyl Pimp

Good fer y'all....
www.nbdgraphics.com ** also on FaceBook, there are NO BAD DAYS!
WORLDWIDE SHIPPING AVAILABLE!!!!!
Old 10-28-2012, 12:33 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I've always kept my ICV cleaned out quite frequently over my '89's life. After loading A Wong chip and a fresh O2 sensor, my idle has been VERY steady..however, I can easily see the production stamp on the ICV as being the girl's original. Occasionally (twice) I've seen the idle RPMs drop a bit-recently, out of the norm- I decided to get her a fresh (NEW) ICV and placed the order yesterday. I'll gently retire the original to the proper storage area of "previously removed parts"....I say a new part, in this case, is better than an old one, since this is coming from Germany and has served diligently for almost 24 years).

New one can't hurt, and provides you stronger baselines as you move through your work (especially on aging parts).

BEST!

Doyle
25th Anniversary Special Edition
Middle Georgia
Old 10-28-2012, 12:34 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to DRACO A5OG
Congrats on the fix ;-)
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.2 * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * M&K Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Magnecor * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC
Old 10-28-2012, 12:44 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Undocumented User

Garage
Chasing a fluctuating idle as well, would jump from 880 down to 650 and hunt for some when hot especially at stop lights. I soaked cleaned out my ICV after reading this thread hoping that was the issue and no dice.

Continued to troubleshoot and tightened the intake manifolds. As it turns out all twelve bolts were loose, from at least a quarter to a half turn a piece. That did it, and I'm back to rock steady idle when warm.

Thanks Pelicans.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:44 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
KnuckleHead Extraordinare

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren-TAG View Post
Chasing a fluctuating idle as well, would jump from 880 down to 650 and hunt for some when hot especially at stop lights. I soaked cleaned out my ICV after reading this thread hoping that was the issue and no dice.

Continued to troubleshoot and tightened the intake manifolds. As it turns out all twelve bolts were loose, from at least a quarter to a half turn a piece. That did it, and I'm back to rock steady idle when warm.

Thanks Pelicans.
Funny you mentioned this, I was out fiddling with stuff and looking at access to get to the oil thermostat, I had noticed that one nut was loose, checked the rest and found them in various stages of looseness. Idle is solid at 800 RPMs, found the vacuum hose to the little valve on oil tank venting off, chasing gremlins and getting acquainted with El Chup!
"Hey, black lotus, Stygian, the best!"
Old 12-04-2012, 04:23 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Old 12-04-2012, 04:23 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: