Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Slantnose from HELL

Oblong slots above rear window?

I have a question..... The oblong slots above the rear window. What were they intended for? Does it just scavenge interior air? From the factory there was a piece of foam placed in between the roof and the header. My guess is the foam was a way to damn and absorb moisture that may enter? On my car that foam has deterioated and has literally vanished. So, if i hold a flashlight aimed at the slots from the outside, I can see the light through the perforations in the headliner. And when a 65-94 911 is restored, is that piece of foam crucial? And is jute (insulation), still added above the headliner? Anybody

Last edited by GJF; 11-20-2012 at 04:33 PM..
Old 11-20-2012, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I left the foam out. To have some air exiting from the cabin, seems to me to be desirable.
2005 Boxster (Base car) Guards Red.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Diss Member

Yes it is just part of the ventilation. The headliner is perforated to go with it. When washing the car avoid spraying up in it and don't drive more then 60mph in reverse when it is raining.
(Ok, I made that last part up...)

--
Wayne - 87 Carrera coupe -> The pooch.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I installed some 3m spunge-type material of the same texture as the original stuff.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Slantnose from HELL

LoL!!!! 60mph in reverse
Thanks for the replies! I appreciate it!
Old 11-20-2012, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Takes a little bit of time, not a difficult job, cost is small. I like anything that will keep moisture out of my car.
Coupe Restoration..Rear roof vents - plastic foam strip bleeding??
Old 11-21-2012, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJF View Post
LoL!!!! 60mph in reverse
Thanks for the replies! I appreciate it!
I laughed at that, too.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJF View Post
And when a 65-94 911 is restored, is that piece of foam crucial? And is jute (insulation), still added above the headliner? Anybody
It's not crucial... but you should put it in to keep from damaging the headliner when washing car, driving in rain, etc.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Reiver

there was a DIY recently on this....2.5 in closed or open cell foam strips pushed into the slots from the back, no access issue thru the headliner.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

For a couple of years now I've felt like exterior noise around the rear was way too loud. As if I had a window open. I chalked it up to a crusty rear window seal.

Last week I determined that I was hearing exterior noise through the sunroof zipper area of my headliner. Guessing that I'm missing some foam.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Go-Kart Mozart

Garage
Picked up my car this spring. Always wondered why that Peterbuilt behind me at the red light sounded like it was in the car with me. Took a while but a little research here and I figured out the missing foam bit. I went to the Home Despot and looked around the 'roll of foam in a bag' section. I found my solution from Frost King. Listed as window A/C seal or similar. Anyway it was $2 for a 40"x1.5"x1.5" strip of open cell foam without any adhesive.

I carefully unzipped the headliner then removed the two fiberboard panels to gain access to the area from the back side. Once inside the h/l you can see that from the slots going forward there is a shelf and then a vertical section of metal with a small gap between the vertical and the roof. Just enough room to squeeze the foam and push it over into the channel with your fingers.

I had to use two pieces because I didn't feel like pulling the sunroof motor. There is a 'seam' in the middle of the car but no one but me knows it's there. Start in the middle and work outwards. When you get to the edge just trim the foam with scissors. Once in the channel the foam will expand to fill the area.

There is a little difference in sound, but it's not night and day. I drive my car in the rain and like not having to worry so much when washing the car.

-J

Here's a couple of photos.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
What a coincidence. We were just talking about this today.
'Rear vents above window'

Old 11-21-2012, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: