Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
911 Carrera RallyCross Project

We finally sourced a donor for our RallyCross project car, a nice 84 911 Carrera with 100K on the clock. Though we haven't receievd the car yet it is supposedly in great mechanical condition with just a few minor cosmetic defects. Sounds perfect.

The plan is to campaign the car in Detroit SCCA Rallycross program while slowly developing it into a dirt monster. The Detroit program runs yea-round so this car is going to see plenty of snow and ice as well as dirt. To help with development we'll also throw the car at some local autocrosses and track days but the main focus is RallyCross. We have been competing with our Subaru Ouback since the program began some six years ago so it's time for a new challenge. As we are fairly new to the marque we will be asking lots of questions on this forum to aid in the development so brace yourself for some pretty dumb ones.

$T2eC16V,!y8E9s2fjs+KBQn!fYr!8w~~60_12 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

$(KGrHqZ,!roFCR4jE9wmBQn!etQq9Q~~60_12 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

$(KGrHqV,!i0FB1m47oRcBQn!eW(!bw~~60_12 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

$(KGrHqZHJFEFBmCZeGi+BQn!fvw8Cg~~60_12 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

and one of the car it is replacing:

The first event is December 8th so, assuming the thing runs when it gets here we will have a bit of mad prep to do. Because of the specs of the BRAID rally wheels we will but running it is already out of Stock class and into Prepared where, coincidentally, it will be up against a couple of 944s. Top of the list is to get some snow tires mounted to the wheels and slap those on, then some number panels and hopefull try to lift it. Stupid question #1: can one easily lift a 911 by indexing the torsion bars? An inch would be nice but anything would help as we are afarid of ripping the front spoiler off at stock ride height. We may get away with removing the lip spoiler beforehand though that is technically illegal. I dont think the competiton will mind unless we beat them.

We also have to add an AC compressor to be within the Prepared rules. Apparantly one of the previous owners removed the AC from the car so we might be looking for a used broken unit if anyone has one. Of course, if we can prove it was a factory delete then we can run without it.

Bookmark this thread for more stupid questions and a blizzard of updates.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperCat/0812/POR_0812_BDYWHL_pg3.htm#item11

Last edited by BRAIDusa; 08-31-2016 at 05:34 AM..
Old 11-26-2012, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Good luck. I would like to do the same thing after I finish my current project.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Paul - you may be able to raise the car without re-indexing, depending on where the adjusters are. The fronts are easy even if you do have to index, the rear I'll let you know in a couple of days.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
the front raises up very easy with simply a turn of the adjusting bolts. the rear not so easy. I suggest you build a beefier skid plate for the fuel pump area straight off the bat aswell. also protecting the brass oil lines in the wheelwells is prorobly a good idea
Old 11-26-2012, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driven97 View Post
Paul - you may be able to raise the car without re-indexing, depending on where the adjusters are. The fronts are easy even if you do have to index, the rear I'll let you know in a couple of days.
Great. Let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche930dude View Post
the front raises up very easy with simply a turn of the adjusting bolts. the rear not so easy. I suggest you build a beefier skid plate for the fuel pump area straight off the bat aswell. also protecting the brass oil lines in the wheelwells is prorobly a good idea
Skid plates and oil line protection are both on the list. When I get chance, and the car, I'm taking it to Ryan at Thompson Racing Fabrication so he can fab up some plates. He does fantastic rally prep amongst other things.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperCat/0812/POR_0812_BDYWHL_pg3.htm#item11
Old 11-26-2012, 06:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Formerly known as Syzygy

The black front spoiler lip comes off easily, and I recommend you do so. From the factory, if the car had no rear spoiler, it had no front lip.

1987 ROW coupe, Marine blue, with a couple extra goodies.

The cars we love the best are the ones with human traits, warts and all.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I dont know how is the rallycross in US. But I loved the rallycross scene in the 80s in Europe.
They flying finns were pretty much dominating the scene. Their 4wd turbo 911s were pretty wild!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSZU-q3LHoA&feature=related

Good luck with the project!
Old 11-27-2012, 02:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Nice score! Now it needs some BZ wheels. Maybe 15" wheels for dirt duty and 17" wheels for tarmac duty!
Old 11-27-2012, 02:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada Kev View Post
The black front spoiler lip comes off easily, and I recommend you do so. From the factory, if the car had no rear spoiler, it had no front lip.
That's interesting. I did wonder about the rear one and do want to get one on the car eventually. Unfortunately, for the lower classes the car will run in initially I have to use an OE version which seem a bit pricey. When we paint the car and go to full SC/RS look maybe it will get a fiberglass version. How do I find out what options the car had from the factory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaskas View Post
I dont know how is the rallycross in US. But I loved the rallycross scene in the 80s in Europe.
They flying finns were pretty much dominating the scene. Their 4wd turbo 911s were pretty wild!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSZU-q3LHoA&feature=related

Good luck with the project!
It's not like Europe. An unfortunate choice of name for the series when the SCCA introduced a while back. Picture a course laid out in a field with traffic cones and one car at a time negotiating it. Might sound a bit lame but can be a lot of fun fr an entry level budget oriented driving experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaefer View Post
Nice score! Now it needs some BZ wheels. Maybe 15" wheels for dirt duty and 17" wheels for tarmac duty!
Agreed, but it's getting the new Fullrace Acropolis for RallyCross:

15x6.5" ET 35 all round with 12mm spacers in the rear. For autocross we will initially run the 16" BZ

as we'll be using the Dunlop Direzza in 205 and 225 to stay in street tire classes. When the car moves up then maybe 17" BZ will be the way to go.

Rather than paint over the beautiful black and anodized finish of the BZ I have this silly idea to do a vinyl wrap on them, initially in School Bus Yellow while the car is red then white once we go to SC/RS look. Anyone ever tried this?

Last edited by BRAIDusa; 08-31-2016 at 06:54 AM..
Old 11-27-2012, 04:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Did someone PM me about a light pod? I swear I glanced at a message but now can't find it.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Hi Paul- yes, that was me that e mailed you about the light pod. We make a repro of the original one as used on the SCRS and other hill climb/rally cars
1973 911S Glacier Blue
Old 11-27-2012, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
abides.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAIDusa View Post
How do I find out what options the car had from the factory?
There should be a sticker under the front hood with option codes.
You can decode them here:
Porsche Option Decoder
Old 11-27-2012, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Here is a SC body "Rothmans" replica we helped our friend with. The car has specially valved shocks, a full weld in cage, interior mounted oil cooler. The rest of the car is basically stock. The rims are fake 7 x 15's mounted with off road/sand tires

1973 911S Glacier Blue
Old 11-27-2012, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRE Cup View Post
Hi Paul- yes, that was me that e mailed you about the light pod. We make a repro of the original one as used on the SCRS and other hill climb/rally cars
Great. Where do I find it on your site?
Old 11-27-2012, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc View Post
There should be a sticker under the front hood with option codes.
You can decode them here:
Porsche Option Decoder
Brilliant. Now all I need is a front hood. Should be here this evening, hopefully attached to a car.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Here is a SC body "Rothmans" replica we helped our friend with. The car has specially valved shocks, a full weld in cage, interior mounted oil cooler. The rest of the car is basically stock. The rims are fake 7 x 15's mounted with off road/sand tires

DROOL. Looks like a Dakar lift. How did he do that?
Old 11-27-2012, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Hi
Here are pictures of the pod and cover. It comes blank, without cutting open the holes on the mounting face

Our site is ahem... in need of much repair and updating. E mail me at tremotorsports@gmail.com to discuss further

Thanks
Dave

1973 911S Glacier Blue
Old 11-27-2012, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

The lift was done by lowering the spindles on the front strut housings, then weld and reinforcements. Out back he spent some time with an off road jeep/truck shop and found a pair of longer shocks that matched the Porsche mountings.

However, i would refer you to Chuck Moreland's excellent rally 911 build thread, here on Pelican, that took a lot more focus on what their project would be exposed to.

this "rothmans" was done economically, and though i can attest to how much fun it is in the dirt, the other effort is more serious.

Also do a search on the Pro Drive built SCRS. there are pics that show the serious reinforcements the factory cars went thru to be competitive and reliable.

Tuthills in UK has also built numerous rally 911s, so maybe you can find some of their secrets in pics too
1973 911S Glacier Blue
Old 11-27-2012, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
The lift was done by lowering the spindles on the front strut housings, then weld and reinforcements. Out back he spent some time with an off road jeep/truck shop and found a pair of longer shocks that matched the Porsche mountings.

However, i would refer you to Chuck Moreland's excellent rally 911 build thread, here on Pelican, that took a lot more focus on what their project would be exposed to.

this "rothmans" was done economically, and though i can attest to how much fun it is in the dirt, the other effort is more serious.

Also do a search on the Pro Drive built SCRS. there are pics that show the serious reinforcements the factory cars went thru to be competitive and reliable.

Tuthills in UK has also built numerous rally 911s, so maybe you can find some of their secrets in pics too
Thanks, this is great stuff but as our car is not intended for full stage rally use we don't need to get too fancy, especially in the reinforcement area. Having said that you never know where this might go.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
I just took an old York compressor and condenser off my car. If you need them...just pay the shipping.
Swift DB-1 FF & Swift DB-3 F2000 -not forgotten
1979 911SC 3.0 & 2000 Camaro
Old 11-27-2012, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: