Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRACO A5OG View Post
Oh I see, They use standard staples, it is the stapler that has a special tensioner that affects the outcome of the staples.

If you search under Outward Cling Stapler, you can get them pretty cheap. Heck found mine on ebay for $35 Arrow Brand, maker of the staples too boot. Bostitch is the upper end stapler but $150, no thanks.
Thanks. Visited Amazon and should be here by next week!. I do not see our host has it.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to DRACO A5OG
You are correct, if he did I would have bought it from him of course
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC
Old 12-17-2012, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Garage
As mentioned after finishing rear seat, 20 mm foam was too much. I did it again and tried 15 mm foam. It looks much similar to the original one.
It is hard to "copy" the original design after so many years anyway...

I also improved the technic of hand stitching...faster, better.
Stapling the leather, specially at the front was also improved, much cleaner.
I kept the back wood for straight staples (however outward clamps do not need that) due to is better (I think) for velcro in stead of glue to carpet.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Garage
Most pictures are taken at night...
Funny the leather color under flashlight. It does not look as good it really is.
If kids are sleeping...it is Porsche project time! :-)
Old 12-19-2012, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Yeah the LED flash is horrible for the right pics, day light or incandecent would be much better. I discovered this while trying to match the swatches for my wife's Lexus beige color.
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC
Old 12-19-2012, 08:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Garage
Left rear seat is done.
I took a different camera (Nikon in stead of Lumix) and leather looks much better.
Tomorrow I will start back seat backrest. Cheers

Old 12-21-2012, 07:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Damn, can't wait to start my front seats :-)
PCA/POC
Old 12-21-2012, 08:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

wouldn't a double stitch sewing machine replicate the porsche stitching and save you from having to pierce every hole ??

BTW, your work is very nice.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Herman. Yes it will save me a lot of time but could not find a reliable person on time, to do the sewing job. Piercing is not a problem, what takes more time is the sewing.
To sew leather+foam+cotton (very thick) requires a "compound triple feed machine". It was taking me too long to find the right guy for that, so I am too anxious to wait more and decided to go manual, just to test it. Due to is working fine (time/result) I will continue until I see it is not possible without professional help.
Actually the learning process is very interesting and rewarding.
I will post pictures of some "tools" I made for keeping the leather steady for piercing and sewing. For instance, doing the back seat from scratch, took me about 1.5 hours (without considering curing overnight time after gluing the foam+cotton+leather together. In two days, working before going to bed I had both ready.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. René
Old 12-22-2012, 04:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by herman maire View Post
wouldn't a double stitch sewing machine replicate the porsche stitching and save you from having to pierce every hole ??
If you have an extra 3-5 grand sitting around it would make it easy.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Really? I just sold one for $600, I must have gotten ripped off.

BTW, done:

PCA/POC
Old 12-28-2012, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Quote:
$600 for a used walking foot dual needle machine is a very good price.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Yeah, mom went nutz buying leather equip for her accessories factory.
PCA/POC
Old 12-28-2012, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:

BTW, done:

Very nice seat!!!
Old 12-29-2012, 03:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Garage
Back seat backrest so far.
Slowing down due to holidays...

Old 12-29-2012, 04:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Garage
Almost finished first back seat backrest.
Tomorrow will install it and start second bakckrest.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Just beautiful
PCA/POC
Old 12-30-2012, 08:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Garage
OOOps.
Few mods:
Backrest center leather was upside down!!.
Left back seat had too much extra foam. So I took some off and left it more flat. Now both left and right seats are equal.

Comments:
- Small cardboard is needed on each side of center back rest. It will help to flat borders when bent, as staples are located only on both ends. Side has no staples but glue at the back.
- Heat gun helped again to take the wrinkles away.
- Although I am happy with the learning process so far, I am 95% with the backrest. First stitches line is not perfect. Holes are not perfectly aligned... Making the holes is the critical part for aesthetic purposes, I should not speed up during that stage.
Priorities of the process so far:
- Making holes (carefully make a good line with tape and perforate them every 5 mm. Make sure leather is very secured by two woods + hand press…do not speed up here!!!).
- Select the right foam size
- Sewing
- Glue
- Staples
The last stages like glue or staples are not that critical as heat gun will fix almost everything left.

By the way, wish you all a nice 2013!!!.

Mod...center upside down as should have been before...

Carpet is back again. Stapled carefully to hide them as here is where my golf clubs are sitting when backrest is horizontal.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Phenomenal job thus far. Especially the hand stitching... Nicely done.

I don't usually use emoticons, but for this fantastic job, I think a New Year's beer emoticon is in order!

911 SC - 1980
911 S - 1977
Old 12-31-2012, 12:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardsred911 View Post
Phenomenal job thus far. Especially the hand stitching... Nicely done.

I don't usually use emoticons, but for this fantastic job, I think a New Year's beer emoticon is in order!

Cheers!!!. René
Old 12-31-2012, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: