Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
1984 Porsche Carrera

beautiful work absolute credit to you...
Old 12-31-2012, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)
1984 Porsche Carrera

Any update on this have you progressed to door trims and front seats?
Old 01-20-2013, 10:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

Garage
Hi, I have been in holidays and using the summer to compete in gliders.
As soon as I get back on track will continue posting.
Thanks for looking!. René
Old 01-21-2013, 03:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

Garage
A bit off topic. But has anyone pulled the rear armrest/side panels off and had them autographed by the porsche assembly folks? Kind of cool - mine were.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd230 View Post
A bit off topic. But has anyone pulled the rear armrest/side panels off and had them autographed by the porsche assembly folks? Kind of cool - mine were.
Sounds great, I have not checked mine.
BTW just returning from a glider championship. Should be back on my project in two weeks more...
Old 02-07-2013, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

Awesome work! I was planning on rewrapping/redoing my interior in a similar fashion. I was a bit worried about the stitching. I don't think my hands/fingers can take the abuse.

If I did not want to do it by hand, I would need a double stitch sewing machine to replicate the stitching?

Keep up the good work. I will watch this thread closely.

-Don
Old 02-09-2013, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)
1984 Porsche Carrera

I was thinking about your project and re read everything you did and although the colour match on the leather is pretty close I am told you can order the original leather coloured dye specific to your vehicle directly from Porsche. They match it to your VIN number. I would consider doing this an dying your leather which is very easy to do to get the perfect as it came out of the factory mix.

Food for thought...
Old 02-09-2013, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

Garage
Big kudos to you for the effort there,..looks great!

BEST!

Doyle
25th Anniversary Special Edition
Middle Georgia
Old 02-09-2013, 07:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)

Garage
Door Panel (part 1)

Hi Guys,
Sorry I have been away so long.
I am continuing the project, now with the door panels...pilotīs side panel first.
I did not take picture before disassembly...will take it for passenger side.

Main board was very ugly, so I decided to make a new one.

I hope to finished the complete pilot side door panel by this weekend, but in the mean time I can show where it goes.

I took this part of the project as a simple task (after the back seats and panels), but have to say it is the most delicate one, so far. Many holes, radius, passing holes, staples, clamps, speakers, etc. It is also the first thing you see when you open the door...anyway, letīs see how it finishes.

Back side, original panel. Note the "humidity effect" on the board.

Front side.

New board

Again...hand sewn leather (crazy I know.....)

Ok, this is what I have until today. Hope to post finished panel by this weekend. Cheers
Old 05-07-2013, 07:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to DRACO A5OG
nice, are planning to do your dash?
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Magnecor * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC
Old 05-07-2013, 08:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRACO A5OG View Post
nice, are planning to do your dash?
Yes, I am
Old 05-08-2013, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to DRACO A5OG
very nice, please post details and pit falls

I am dreading having to remove the windshield for this task

Jim
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Magnecor * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC
Old 05-08-2013, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Garage
As promised, it was a very interesting weekend.
Let me say it again...do not underestimated the door panel. It is harder than it looks.
I think it has been wise to star from the back to the front. I am scared about what I will find doing the seat...

Anyway. After finishing gluing the leather to the board, I found first mistake. The bolt/but system that keeps the speaker frame attached, has to be placed before the foam is placed...so, opened it a little bit, glued it again and...done. 15 minutes, not bad.

The board has many...many little holes. If you are making a new board as I did, make sure you carbon copy them VERY well. Small difference means a lot of rework ...so, take your time there. I used a drill from the inside to outside, a very sharp tool not to damage the leather in the way out.

Inner side, I reused some of the foams from the old panel and made some new ones. This is to avoid noise and for better setting against the metal sheet.

Putting everything back together: arm rest, window switch (take your time with the cables and with the metal frame to the leather...it looks easy to break), door handle, etc.

Finally, after many small holes adjustments (did I tell you to copy them perfectly to avoid rework???)...the rewards is priceless.
I hope you enjoyed it.
Next week: left door and to start with the front seats...I am scared already.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)

Garage
Passenger door: Same process as pilotīs door. Door panel is in a much better shape, however I will make a new frame anyway.
I am showing more details of the leather-marking-sewing process.
As I am writing, leather-foam sandwich is getting cured after the glue. Tomorrow is holiday here, so I should be able to continue the sewing process.
Also the board frame should be ready tomorrow...fingers crossed.
By the weekend, second door should be done, starting with disassembly of teh passenger seat to be used as mold for future new seats. Passenger seat is in a great shape.
Cheers,

Typical door original POrsche pattern. Copied as old leather

Hand made holes. 5 x 5 mm in two rows each as pattern. Sewing to come after glueing foam and fabric sandwich...
Old 05-20-2013, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)

This is a fantastic effort and something I would love to try! When you stitch the leather to the foam, is the foam layered with cloth? How do you get the leather to pull into the foam to give the raised effect, and stop the foam just squashing, leaving the leather flat?
Old 05-21-2013, 04:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)
Black and Blue

Send a message via Yahoo to Kemo
This is a wonderful thread. GREAT WORK!!! Thank you so much for posting in such detail. Two thumbs up!
Old 05-21-2013, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks to all for your support.

To keynsham1: thanks for asking. Here is my detailed answer. If need more details let me know.

PART 1 as limit of 10 images per reply...

First is to mark the pattern on the back side of the leather or at the front using tape not to mark the leather. Stitches as mentioned at the beginning of the thread (5x5 mm each). Very important step...I made several mistakes on previous panels, now I can say the stitches are like I wanted.

Second: After the holes are made, the foam and the fabric is glued together to have "cushion effect". The thicker the foam the more cushion you have. For the door panel, I used same as original behing the leather: 10 mm.

Third: custom tool 1. My custom made press (dimension drawing can be made if you guys need it), made of regular wood. Important: a 4 to 5 mm gap at the hinge side, so sandwich of leather-foam-fabric wont be damaged. At the end, a press as per picture.

Four: custom tool 2. Hand sewing tool. There are some tools at amazon, similar to mine, but nail looked too thick so I decided to make my own as shown...very cheap also but my finger hurts after several "pulls". Important: a second nail is attached to nylon end in order to pass the back of the stitch to close the loop (I canīt remember the technical name of that stitch type).

Five: repeat first step until you get tired :-).
Enjoy

Old 05-21-2013, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)

Garage
PART 2: 3 more images more to complete past reply...
Cheers

Old 05-21-2013, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

more than timely thread - having done the easier panels, parcel shelf, doors etc and a headliner - Im up for front rear seats and tinker with door pockets - GREAT work eager to see how you tackle the front seats and dash

cheers Michel
Old 05-21-2013, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)

One more question, and probably not my last!, earlier in your post, how did you get the leather so curve around the sides of the rear seat backs so well? I had always assumed that this sort of shape was moulded somehow at the factory, but obviously not! I imagine this is going to be a real challenge for the front seats?
Old 05-22-2013, 04:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: