Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by keynsham1 View Post
One more question, and probably not my last!, earlier in your post, how did you get the leather so curve around the sides of the rear seat backs so well? I had always assumed that this sort of shape was moulded somehow at the factory, but obviously not! I imagine this is going to be a real challenge for the front seats?
Using a heat gun, it works fine to give the curvy shape needed (most of it). I noticed that if you heat a "little" bit the leather, it relaxes and give away the tension. However if you heat "a lot", it shrinks amazingly.
I know, this is not a technical answer, but this is how I did the back arm rest, where this "technic" is required.
The bottom back seats does not require the heat gun to have the curve. Jus by pulling around the cushion, it gets the curve. The top back seat is more tricky as the borders gets the curve by using the "heating technic" mentioned above and also by a special cut shape of the leather, before sewing it. I have some old pieces at home that will show the preformed shape mentioned. Pictures tonight. Cheers.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Justin@Athens
THIS THREAD IS HARDCORE, that is all. sub'd
1999 x2 Boxster (sold)
2006 Cayman S (my daily)
Old 05-22-2013, 05:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)

Garage
Just beautiful work RenÚ!

Thanks so much for sharing. I bet the smell is intoxicating

My door panels look like your old ones I might replace the fiber board and clean it all really well.

I'm really looking forward to the adventure continuing with your seats. It's like watching someone perform beautiful music.

Thanks,

Franny
Old 05-22-2013, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)

Garage
Regarding making curvy shapes, with flat leather sections:
For instance, one side of the upper rear back seat has a very curvy part. I took the old leather (see picture) and copied it in a 2D or flat section. The old section had a shape that make it look that is preformed...and probably originally it was, however I found that using the heat gun gently on a two leather pieces sewn together in a curvy area, it can really get relaxed and obtained the final desired "preformed look" without any problem. I guess the special figure of the section makes it easy to be adapted to the desired area.
The key is to practice a lot to get used to the heat gun...it can be your best friend or your nightmare.

I do not know how steam could work here, please your comments if anybody has experience.
RenÚ

Old 05-22-2013, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)

Garage
Passenger door panel almost ready.
Here detailed pictures of the leather molding process.

Heat gun setting: 250 ║C for molding and 450║C for shrinking. About an inch distance between gun and leather.

BTW, stitches are getting better...I think I am going to redo some parts when the front seats are ready :-)

450 ║C for shrinking...

250 ║C for molding...

No wrinkles...

No wrinkles...

BUT...nothing can be perfect. Installing the leather to the panel and almost ready, noticed that door POCKET was a mess...
More pictures to follow...
Old 05-30-2013, 08:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)

Garage
Door pocket.
As mentioned, it was a mess...of course, 29 years old car.
Carpet was separated for repairing purposes...

The lower end was very bent as you can see.

I am not expert with cardboard, but did this and apparently worked: wetted the lower end to make the cardboard flexible and left two presses for 24 hours. Now it looks more straight.

Holes are damaged also...
I reinforced them with steel washer from the outer side, to work in the pressure direction made by the screws. Glued it and made a coat of epoxy and thin layer of fiberglass. Sanding here and there...some paint spray and now it looks better.

And of course, main screw hole behind the door handle was damaged. See first picture in this post, on the left hand side of the picture.
Here is how it ended. I do not like the surface finish here, so I will smooth it before installation.

BTW, if anybody notice that I am doing something wrong with my procedures, please feel free to post it here. Cheers
Old 05-30-2013, 09:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)

Dial 911

Garage
VerY NicE!

Hi RenÚ... I have been watching your progress over the months- Nothing short of amazing! - Very impressive! I/we will continue to enjoy watching your posts

I must say though that I was pretty impressed with Jim's job. Jim-job?....Kind of like Billy-Bob?
BTW, where did that Southern Gentleman Doyle get to?...Likely to shoot a cow and then into Macon to purchase a needle and some thread ay,

ôSimplicity is the ultimate sophistication.ö

Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 05-30-2013, 10:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)

Garage
The good thing about previous owners is that you can blame on them the bad things....
Door pocket hole under the door handle was offset...

So, finally passenger door panel is installed.
I also changed the O2 sensor due to engine surging problems...which now is gone.

Inside the project is well advanced...only front seats to go.
I will start with the passenger seat (probably tomorrow) as it is in better shape. I also will use it as model for both seats.

In the mean time...the weather is good, so I took her for a ride.

Honestly I am scared about the seats.

Both door panels ready!

Flat six...aircooled...rough feeling...good music...sunroof opened...what else for a saturday evening.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to DRACO A5OG
Wow my compliments, can't wait to see the dash and door top trims, I have an old dash to make my pattern
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC
Old 06-01-2013, 08:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)

Garage
I almost forgot back panel upper trims:

Remove three screws as shown on very old picture...when everything started...

I did not notice before that upper leather was shrunk do to age-sun, etc. You could actually see the bare metal through the window.

Removed the leather pretty easy. No glue action left....
Clean metal to remove previous glue.
Putting the leather with glue, leaving 10 to 15 mm around the metal. Be sure to put enough glue as there is no staples.

And of course...the mistakes: I overcut the leather and left open spots. Fortunately they did not affect the result. Time will tell...

The good thing about doing the trims is they are easy to reach and could take about half an hour each (of course after hours of cutting the other panels...:-)).

Old 06-03-2013, 07:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)

Garage
Ok, daylight. Time to show final trims.
This is the easiest part of the project so far. Cheers

Old 06-04-2013, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Very Nice, will be doing those shortly
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC
Old 06-04-2013, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)

Smoove1010

Garage
What excellent work. You're patience and persistence are humbling. I don't think those front seats should scare you at all.

GK
Old 06-04-2013, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)

Garage
Hi guys, thanks for all the compliments.
The car is looking good and the smell is priceless.
After time pass and gaining some experience, I can see some details in some panels. For instance the front door panels are both identical but the door knob should pass right in the middle of one of the stitches and mine is 2 cm offset. Apparently my estimate of 6 cm between double stitches was not the exact choice.

I already did (months before the thread started...) the front door trims and the dash trims and ashtray, but as the thread says "complete diy", Iwill show you all how to take them out, fix and to put them back together. Of course trying to give the more details as possible.
Well, top dash will be done anyway. Yes I know...windshield removal is coming :-).

Stay tune!. Cheers

Last edited by rvidal; 06-04-2013 at 12:12 PM..
Old 06-04-2013, 12:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)

Very excellent work, you give me encouragement to do my own upholstery work on my project car (the 6 speed into a Carrera one....)

Dennis
Old 06-04-2013, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)

Garage
Incredible work. I would argue that it looks better than OEM
Old 06-04-2013, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)

Garage
Door upper trims will be shown later, as I already started with front seats...yes the reason why the whole job started.
Driver seat was taken out the car by unscrewing four 5 mm Allen screws. First front screws by moving seat backward...then moving forward seat to reach back screws. Important to do it this way, otherwise very difficult to reach back screws with tool.

There is a steel wire that goes around the lower end of the lower leather front seat, attached both ends to seat frame.

Lower seat. Main rails attached by four 4 mm Allen screws

Old 06-20-2013, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #97 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Nice, been there , PM me if you get stuck but I think you will be fine. Go Brother Go!
PCA/POC
Old 06-20-2013, 06:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #98 (permalink)

Garage
Lower seat: breaking it apart!.
Now I am scared...there is a lot work to do. I had no idea how many parts have the cover seat...scary!.

13...yes thirteen pieces + 5 steel bars (not shown) + 1 steel wire around lower end.... Of course lots of hog rings also. And this is the lower seat ONLY

What a job.

Anyway, here I am and not going back.
To make it more difficult, center leather is perforated. 1mm holes 45║ alined and 8 mm in between ( I am going to do 10 mm in between...).
I have been trying to find the best way to make the holes without going to an automatic punching machine (that cant find here anyway). Tried several methods of punching and the best found was a 1mm drill driven by a Dremel, drilled from the back side to the front face of the leather. As drill spins, its screw action pulls the leather before making the holes, so if perforated the other way around damages the painted leather face. I tried several drills and the best ones where the very fine made by steel + cobalt. Well, that was my first option until today that I found a manual punch machine (USD 30 app) and makes perfect 1mm holes with nice finishing. I know...I know...we are in the 21st century...so whay doing it by hand...but again, why to make something easy when can be done more difficult?

Last edited by rvidal; 06-20-2013 at 06:33 PM..
Old 06-20-2013, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #99 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRACO A5OG View Post
Nice, been there , PM me if you get stuck but I think you will be fine. Go Brother Go!
Thanks...I think will need some support!!!.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #100 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: