Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Complete DIY Upholstery 1984

Hy guys. I am "trying" to do a complete job for restoring my 1984, 911, full leather. Only five years with me.

Main goal was to restore the seat only, but after many years, there is no way to find the right color match.
So, here I am...I bought about two cows of kind of champagne color (not sure what original color is, just found a leather supplier which gave me a very similar color).

It will take time, beers and many headaches but hope I can finish.
First goal: replace whole champagne leather.
Second goal: transform broken dashboard into a full leather.

NOTE: my english is not at pro level, my apologies if any mistake.

My only prior expertise was changing black leather on door arm rests, where I made the heat gun my best friend.

I think I am going to climb the everest in terms of time (maybe months) and skills required. Also believe the easier would be buying all new parts, covers etc from suppliers mentioned on this forum (which are great by the way), but why making something easier when you can make it more difficult?.

An overall pictures first (Note that only driver seat is damaged...the rest is old only, but not really bad).

René

Old 11-27-2012, 06:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to DRACO A5OG
I am with you Brother Rene,

I just order my all Leather Skins for my Sport Seats, plan is to remove the foam to check condition take them to FoamMart in Burbank to build it up with High Resilient Foam and hog rings.

Also install heated seat pads and place switch next to the AC switches.

This will be so much fun

Let's exchange notes ;-)

Jim
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC
Old 11-27-2012, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Oh Yeah Welcome to the Brotherhood
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC
Old 11-27-2012, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Changing back seat panel.
It has two parts. Upper and lower. Both are attached by staples in avery strange way as they are placed before to complete upper panel upholstery. Anyway, I did a bad move (learning curve) and bent the upper panel, breaking a little bit the panel where the staples where.
I reupholster upper and lower panel separately and glued them together...no staples required.

Upper part is very easy.
Lower panel is very curvy. Many wrinkles BUT...the heat gun became again my best friend. It is amazing what you can do with heat, together by pressing with a regular towel to cool the leather down.
Do not be scared to heat the leather. I even saw little bit of smoke and nothing happened (try some tests before the full swing of course).
Next weekend will do the other back seat panel and will try to find the sewing machine to start "drawing" the leather for the seats and panels.
Cheers.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Next time try steam or microwaved wet towels in a bowl 5 minutes, works like a charm for curves and wrinkles.

Boy She is looking GOOD
PCA/POC
Old 11-27-2012, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Noted Draco, thanks. I saw a youtuve video about your tip. I should have know it before...
Dry works fine, but maybe more risky. I will try wet towels this weekend for the righ back seat panel. Cheers.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

You write English better than most who are of native tonque. Looking good and good luck!
Old 11-27-2012, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
You too . from West Coast Customs???

Yeah, I have been doing allot of research and experiments with all the leather samples I got.

Lucky I have a professional clothes steamer and will be using all three techniques if need. Can't wait to get the leathers.

Do you have SKYPE? sure love to share notes?

Jim
PCA/POC
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Carmagic.us

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvidal View Post
Hy guys. I am "trying" to do a complete job for restoring my 1984, 911, full leather. Only five years with me.

Main goal was to restore the seat only, but after many years, there is no way to find the right color match.
So, here I am...I bought about two cows of kind of champagne color (not sure what original color is, just found a leather supplier which gave me a very similar color).

It will take time, beers and many headaches but hope I can finish.
First goal: replace whole champagne leather.
Second goal: transform broken dashboard into a full leather.

NOTE: my english is not at pro level, my apologies if any mistake.

My only prior expertise was changing black leather on door arm rests, where I made the heat gun my best friend.

I think I am going to climb the everest in terms of time (maybe months) and skills required. Also believe the easier would be buying all new parts, covers etc from suppliers mentioned on this forum (which are great by the way), but why making something easier when you can make it more difficult?.

An overall pictures first (Note that only driver seat is damaged...the rest is old only, but not really bad).

René

Your seats look like the ones in my 82 SC, mine just has dark blue interior. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to see more. Do you have a good source for the leather ?

Nice car BTW !

Cheers
Engelbert
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothaus View Post
Your seats look like the ones in my 82 SC, mine just has dark blue interior. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to see more. Do you have a good source for the leather ?

Nice car BTW !

Cheers
Engelbert
Pmed you
PCA/POC
Old 11-27-2012, 07:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Finding the leather was not easy.
In Chile there is good leather, but mainly for shoes and belts.
I went thru several stores, walking around and looking for samples.
Finally I got a 99% color match and bought two of them. Not very expensive...about USD 200 each. Total of 72 sq. ft.
Not sure the source, but it looks the leather comes from Brasil...
Thickness, about 1.6 mm.
It should works fine as some guys I talked to, use these sources for seats.
Cheers.

P.S.: to animal protectors, please do not shoot me for buying two cows.

Last edited by rvidal; 11-28-2012 at 02:52 AM..
Old 11-27-2012, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Oh snap, this is a public site, please remove skype info. Skyping you now :-)
PCA/POC
Old 11-27-2012, 08:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Now going for Back Seat panel, passenger side.
I did same procedure as pilot side, but removed upper part staples, before removing leather.
So, I believe it is a cleaner job...learning curve!.
Cheers.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Carmagic.us

Looks great, you can really seat the leather in the picture before you are finished, with the wrinkles, nice material.

This will be like new once you are done.

Cheers
Engelbert
Old 12-04-2012, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Continuing the journey. Now I am going for the Back Panel.
It has two stages: recovering champagne leather + black leather (upper side for the speakers, near the rear window).
I forgot to take pictures to the upper part. It was very damaged due to leather shrunk with heat and age. It is really awful. I do not know what material is made of (kind of cardboard). It was almost 90º twisted. I had to water wet it for about 15 minutes and leave it with some pressure for several hours.
I wanted to made my own cardboard but it has special shape, both upper and lower so I had to recover it.
Here is where I am until today…hope to finish it by weekend.
Cheers

Old 12-04-2012, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Beautiful work, you an artist =)
PCA/POC

Last edited by DRACO A5OG; 12-04-2012 at 10:28 PM..
Old 12-04-2012, 09:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Garage Queen

Garage
You're doing great. The hide prices are really good. You got lucky with that one. I am looking forward to seeing your progress.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Me tooooooo
PCA/POC
Old 12-05-2012, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Wider is Better

Garage
Very nice job.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks to all for your support.
Does anyone have pictures of the upper part (black), where I have speakers?. Anyone that can show an original finish? (not sure if mine is still original after several previous owners).
In my panel, it has a 2 mm foam (removed in the last pictures but same as foam in the lower part) and wondering how am I going to achieve the "curved" cardboard-leather at the end if the leather is not going to be glued at the foam... I guess I will try to heat-expand it softly to see if it works. If not, I would have to remove the upper foam and glue it directly.
Or...the original upper panel is 100% flat and no problem with the foam in between?. However if flat there will be a gap between the rubber rear window. Anyone has more info to share?
BTW I think I should remove the speakers also and leave it clean.
Cheers

Last edited by rvidal; 12-07-2012 at 10:58 AM..
Old 12-06-2012, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: