Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Undocumented User

Garage
Why would Porsche put something as dramatic as a tail on a car if it didn't have a function?

We can argue the aesthetic value of it all day long but you can't argue whether it has a function or not. Even at 40 mph is has a function.

Back to the OP, Tail or no Tail?

Quote:
Question. Is there a good performance argument against removing the tail? I'm a function over fashion guy and don't want to remove it if it impacts the drivability or value.
If you're a function over form guy, I think the answer is clear. If you're concerned primarily about the aesthetics, I think the great majority of us would go naked.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

My 87 Targa came with a tail.... Had it removed and the decklid refinished for $300.00. Sold the tail on this forum for $600 in a day. Love the clean look...Leave the front spoiler on, it can work without the tail, but not vice versa.
Before
And After
Old 12-12-2012, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by winders View Post
Back up. The body shape was penned without the benefit of a wind tunnel. The fact that the car is better from an aerodynamic perspective (lift and drag numbers) with a chin spoiler and any of the tails shows the initial design was flawed.

Scott
And yet, if the car was truly dangerous (ala the first Audi TTs that got recalled due to a lack of rear spoiler) ALL 911's would have been recalled or mandated to run front and rear spoilers. The car is FINE without them. Is it better with them, perhaps so.

There's a popular chart on the web about the impact of No spoiler, the Duck, Carrera and Turbo tails on the lift reduction at the rear of the 911. IIRC, you have to be somewhere around 80mph for any noticable impact to be felt. Most places in the US, 80mph isn't a common speed.

People seem to think these cars just throw themselves off the road without provocation. c.mon now.. be realistic.
1978 911SC, 1976 914 2.0, 1970 914 w/2056
Old 12-12-2012, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
registered woman user

Garage
every porsche was built to order, mostly. thats why their are so many great variations of our beloved car. exterior color, interior color, limited diff, rear wiper, front air dam, rear whale tail, etc...... i'm new here , but i love my whale tail on my targa. even though the so called porsche purist feel it is wrong to have one unless its a turbo is just typical snobbishnish. for me, my whale tail sets me and my car apart from any rice burning, euro wanna be out there. and makes my porsche unmistakable. but thats just my newbie opinion, which i'm allow to have. youse guys are the best.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinverso View Post
every porsche was built to order, mostly. thats why their are so many great variations of our beloved car. exterior color, interior color, limited diff, rear wiper, front air dam, rear whale tail, etc...... i'm new here ,
Actually, in the 1980s, most Porsches were spec'd by dealers who loaded up on items they knew would sell. Spoilers, 16" wheels, sunroofs on coupes etc. Yes, by all means you could special order/fill out an order as you liked, but those were in the minority.
1978 911SC, 1976 914 2.0, 1970 914 w/2056
Old 12-12-2012, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Racer

Racer,

Who said anything about the car being dangerous? Flawed does not necessarily equal dangerous. I said that the aerodynamic design is improved with the addition of a front spoiler and a whale tail. The lift and drag numbers would be improved at all speeds. The higher the speed the bigger the improvement.

Scott
Old 12-12-2012, 06:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

registered woman user

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer View Post
Actually, in the 1980s, most Porsches were spec'd by dealers who loaded up on items they knew would sell. Spoilers, 16" wheels, sunroofs on coupes etc. Yes, by all means you could special order/fill out an order as you liked, but those were in the minority.
hmmm, really. some color combo's are hard to beleive a dealer would stock in their showroom. but actually, what the heck do i know. go whale tail.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks to all for the great responses. As usual there's no shortage of perspectives on this forum.

At this point I'm going to leave well enough alone and just love driving the car the way it is. I did learn that I shouldn't experience catastrophic handling issues with the tail removed and that it's not against some Porsche code to take it off.

Time to go for a high speed drive and think about where I can find a new deck lid...

Thanks,
2003 Harley Davidson Lowrider
Old 12-13-2012, 03:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlockmon View Post
Time to go for a high speed drive and think about where I can find a new deck lid...
If you go on high speed drives, you really should keep the tail......

Scott
Old 12-13-2012, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
Young enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by winders View Post
I prefer the tail from an aesthetics perspective. It reduces lift at the rear and reduces overall drag. For me, the tail is a win, win, win, proposition.

Scott
this^^

In my completely 100% biased opinion, keep the tail.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
83 911SC Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlockmon View Post
Thanks to all for the great responses. As usual there's no shortage of perspectives on this forum.

At this point I'm going to leave well enough alone and just love driving the car the way it is. I did learn that I shouldn't experience catastrophic handling issues with the tail removed and that it's not against some Porsche code to take it off.

Thanks,

Here you go!

Porsche 911 Deck Lid Red
Old 12-13-2012, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
Reiver

Tails, wether Duck or Turbo start to become effective at 30 mph according to Porsche wind tunnel testing and are very effective at reducing rear lift beyond 50 mph. If you've ever felt 'wander' due to side winds at high speeds you are experiencing rear wheel lightness/lift caused by the original shape of the 911 design. They really are a design improvement.
I don't care for the whales on early cars but DT's look good on anything.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Garage

I decided to keep my tail on after driving it without. I feel a difference.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
carrera 3.2 , whale tail