Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Wiring help

Im converting a 82 930 to a small block chev. Repaired title, roller, so dont freak.

There is a lot of wiring issues that I need to deal with as there was a alarm in the car which is think is the basis for my problems. No guages, dash lights, seat belt buzzer, non working sunroof and windows. Im not sure what the switched power wire would be on the factory harness in the engine bay. I have found only one wire that has switch power for the ignition box but it goes off when you crank the starter. Therefore I suspect there is a better wire but it probably has no power due to a wiring issue somewhere else in the car. All the fuses are intact and functioning.

All thats left from the factory wiring is the main wire, all electronics box\relays is no longer in the engine bay.

Any wiring dirgram or insight would be appreciated. Im at a mental block working on the car as electrical isnt my thing. I jumpered the ignition to finally get it running after piecing the car together for a long time.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage

Old 12-17-2012, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to HawgRyder
In a case like yours...I would just rip out anything going to the engine and start from scratch.
It is not as difficult as it sounds.
You need ignition, fuel pump, heat sensors, oil sender data, starter activation, and maybe a couple of others.
All in all...perhaps 10 wires or there abouts.
It would look a lot cleaner, and you can colour code to your preference (just make sure to diagram for future).
Good luck.
Bob
Old 12-17-2012, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Pelican Parts - Porsche 911 Parts Listings & Diagrams
Old 12-17-2012, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I found out the source of my problem. A second alarm. Its tucked behind environmental parts which are behind the brake booster. Its a mess of spliced wires. I cant find matching ends to some factory harness ends so I think they were cut off and tossed.I have a long way to go on learning these cars as I don't know what parts are heating and whats ac and there is a lot of them in the trunk and foot wells

Sully, thanks for posting the wiring diagrams. Its not helping me yet. Is there a diagram anywhere of what wire harness is what and where it goes through firewalls, etc. That's going to help me sort out whats what.

Ive certainly learnt my way around the cars I race, but this 930 is a whole new ball game for me.

Ive pulled the seats ( power seat wired directly to the fuse box bot on the hot side and therefore no fuse ) I guess the car didn't come with a power seat option. I removed the door panels to find aftermarket power door locks, explains all the extra wires that didn't look factory going into the doors. So I have now pulled the carpet, kick panels, door sills and some heat\ac stuff. I have to pull the hood and hinges to get at the wire harness to fix it, what a rats nest of electrical tape and duct tape, yup duct tape. Taking all of the stereo ( which had crossovers and lots of bits ) and some of the obvious alarm wires out has really helped but I have lots to go to removing all the junk installed.

Holy moley, for a 84 there is a lot of wires compared to a cheap domestic of the same era.

I have 3 switches on my dash that I don't know what they are for, Im thinking 1 or 2 are alarm related, pic attached. What are these? I cant play with any switches as everything is dead until I get the alarm removed. I feel like such a newb.....

Whats top left?
Whats top right? I think its alarm related
Whats bottom? I don't think its factory either.

Last edited by aftermath; 02-08-2013 at 08:19 PM..
Old 02-08-2013, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Your best bet is to get a copy of the parts CD (PET) and study it carefully, as it will be the only thing that sort of tells you what devices are on which wire harness. You have to look carefully and sometimes it helps to look at prior years.

There are two main harness, plus a bunch of little ones. What they call the boot harness originates at the fuse box and feeds most things in the trunk and dash area. There are five bulkhead plugs behind and below the leftmost gauge in the dash and these are fed by the boot harness. That's where the wiring for the ignition switch, headlight switch, steering column levers, etc. is fed. This harness also feeds the fresh air blower in the trunk, the interior lights, cigar lighter, etc. The second main harness is called a tunnel harness and it originates at the fuse box, passes into the car above the driver's feet and passes through the tunnel to the rear of the car. It feeds ancillary power to circuits at the bag, feeds the rear window defogger and carries signals from the engine to the gauges.

Things like power windows will have their own harness. There's a front harness that feeds the front lights, horns, etc. in the front of the trunk. Things that might have been an option at one time will have a separate harness. There might be 30 of them in a well-optioned car.

You might be better off buying some used harnesses if yours have been hacked. There's no magic bullet to fixing this, other than digging in and studying what you have. I find it easier to pull the fuel tank and get the ventilation crap out of the way, so that you can get to things.

In your picture, there are two switches under the dash face. The one on the left (top left in your sideways photo) controls the sunroof. The other one switches the mirror control stalk on the left door from controlling the left mirror to controlling the right, depending on whether the switch is pushed down on the left or right. The other switch in the dash face could be a couple things. There were two locations for switches like that one, on the left side fo the dash and on the right. They might have controlled a rear wiper, or an intensive windshield washing system. Some people added these switches to control anti-theft circuits. I can't tell what is attached to yours from the photo, since i can't see the back side. I assume your car has a rear wiper, so that's a possibility. You'll have to look at the back side and see what the wiring looks like and where it goes.

Power seats and power door locks were not available in 1982, so all of that will be added by a previous owner.

JR

Last edited by javadog; 02-09-2013 at 03:32 AM..
Old 02-09-2013, 03:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks JR that helps a lot. I spent a few hours last night exposing wire. Yeah I already figured out the power door locks and power seat were done after, the duct tape for electrical tape and no fuse to the seat sort of gave it away. The door locks are tied into the alarm harness. The switch that your not sure about ties into the alarm harness. It toggles but its also feels spring loaded like a push type, either way its not needed.

Im finding a few relays hanging in where the bulk of the wiring is that looks aftermarket. Im wondering if the car has some sort of headlight upgrade. I will no more once I expose more. Its going to be worked on for several hours today. I would love to have another 930 to look at. I might see if there are same era 911 guys local so I can look at their wiring as I have a few things on the fuse box that don't look quite right.

You explanation makes sense in that the jumble of spliced wires under the dash on the left goes into the drivers door I think. That's probably so the alarm can lock doors, roll up windows, etc as there is a bunch of spliced wires in the drivers door.

Where is the switch to control the power mirrors? I have not found it.

I have a 930 CD that has wiring diagrams on it, but its circuits, amps and stuff. I just want a color coded list and a which harness is what list because that's how I could interpret things better. I still have not figured out where the alarm harness ends and the factory one starts, been cutting away lots of electrical tape and have a bit more to go.

Im going to take a picture of the relays and harness behind the brake booster today. A friend is coming over to help me remove the hood and hinges to make more room to get my hands in there.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
Where is the switch to control the power mirrors? I have not found it.
The toggle switch that controls the movements of the mirrors is on the top of the door trim panel, next to the small quarter window.

JR
Old 02-09-2013, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by javadog View Post
The toggle switch that controls the movements of the mirrors is on the top of the door trim panel, next to the small quarter window.

JR
Gotcha. There is a item there but the middle is missing, I assumed it was part of this stupid alarm Im removing. Looks like I might need to replace that switch then. I will check that it didn't fall into the door. The contents of the drivers door is a mess of hacked wires and Im not concentrating on the door yet. Its making a lot more sense now that Ive removed garbage and simplified things. Still have a few items to sort out. Had to pop out some gauges to get at wires and the far left guage has one connection missing, Im assuming all the jacks are to have a wire. Im going to know electrical car better in this car by the time Im done.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Its making more sense now, its not just a alarm but its a starter also. This explains the wire into everything like guages, clutch, etc.
My 930 CD has a directory I missed thats called electrical, I only picked up on that when I was coping the cd to the laptop. That might have info to help me.

Here is the plan.
1) Remove heat and AC systems and wiring. At this point Im just simplifying the car as its first year will be driving in nice weather at the autocross, etc.
2) Remove all traces of a stereo.
3) Finish the bits of alarm\starter wiring thats crossed between different wire harnesses ( there was lots ), then pull each harness and fix on the bench. I solderd a few repairs laying under the dash and its not the way to go.
4) Figure out the few missing wire items. Like where the heck is the fuel sending wire gone, which wire will provide power to my ignition box and fuel pump. Where is the other end to one big factory harness thats behind the brake booster.
5) I might need to buy a harness for the door to run the windows and mirrors, its a MESS

Im plugging away at this.

Last edited by aftermath; 02-14-2013 at 02:00 PM..
Old 02-14-2013, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: