Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to DRACO A5OG
Thumbs up DIY Re-upholstery Front Sport Seats kit 85-89

Well Fellas, another contribution to our great community 2013:

Kit:

Full Assembled Leather Quality Grade Perforated Inserts with Vinyl Piping from a local company ( PM me if you want the vendor's info )

Our Host offers kits from World Upholstery, should be the same but I can not verify.

Tools (see above, after removing it from the car)

Most important are:
Rubberized gloves
Harden Tipped Wire Cutter ( not to cut but to pry & twist those darn hog rings )
Hog Ring Plyers
Clothes Steamer
Outward Cling Stapler for the upper insert pad
Plastic shopping bag ( it really does work )

Supplies:
Adhesive Spray
Polished Steel Hog Rings to resist Rust
Stainless Steel Staples
Mineral spirits for clean up

Option: Seat Heater Pads, I used '84 center console face place to install the switches.

Time needed:
3-4 hours per seat.
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC

Last edited by Eric at Pelican Parts; 01-02-2018 at 08:47 AM..
Old 01-10-2013, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Day 1:

First separate the top from the bottom, sorry there is no other way to get the skins off/on.

You must raise the seat before removing it from the car.

Mark the seat release ( back seat access cable) before removing

Remove Seat Rails

Becareful of the white plastic guides they are very brittle, ask me how I know $5.00 to replace a set.

Last edited by Eric at Pelican Parts; 01-02-2018 at 08:48 AM..
Old 01-10-2013, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
LOL, AUDI Part number

Note orientation of everything, I took photos to remind me

This is a thin wire tensioner to stretch the bottom portion tight.

You do not need to remove the height adjuster, just pull out of the way

HERE IS WHERE YOU CAN VERIFY IF THE POS OR INSTALLER TO A SHORT CUT, THE 2ND SPIKE FROM THE LEFT WAS NOT USED SO OVER TIME IT CAUSE THE LEATHER TO SLIP AROUND AND EVENTUALLY RIP THE HOLD DOWN STRAPS DUE TO USE.

Note the 3" cardboard tab, remove and staple it on to new skins

Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC

Last edited by Eric at Pelican Parts; 01-02-2018 at 08:48 AM..
Old 01-10-2013, 06:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
This section covers all the re-used components such as wires and cardboard pieces

Just glue those areas that tore, No worries, once hogged ringed down it will not get worse, on when the seat's fabric rips where the hog rings are held give, then the foams start to tear due to wear and tear.

Autoberry, placed stronger plastic reinforced wires, straps for the hog rings to bite in to, NICE.

PCA/POC

Last edited by Eric at Pelican Parts; 01-02-2018 at 08:49 AM..
Old 01-10-2013, 06:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
I placed extra hog rings to firm up the seats, the new leather shoud do the same but over time it will sag IMHO. Mine will never sag again.

Ready for steam to puff it back up

They will swell another 3-5MM's, in areas that compressed. Remove bad batting and replace. Funny the tops had a wool like batting, very nice stuff. I had synthetic but did a better job of coverage, just glue on the bolsters, not the insert area, if you select perforated, you want the seat to breathe, glue it will not.

Top dismantle:

Passenger side had OEm batting to conceal hog rings and metal deviations, my driver side did not have it, freakin POS installer short cutted there, I just used batting, perfect no bumps

You MUST stick screw drive inside the channel to remove the handle, if you pull from the outside you will break it, ask me how I know.
PCA/POC

Old 01-10-2013, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage

Top inserts are the only ones that need the OUTWARD CLING STAPLES, PITA, the trick here is to hold the staple gun's head down on the leather and foam then staple, if you do not the staple will not penatrate and form the outward shape. I also used glue on the edges only for extra measure.

Ready for Steam:

Prep for install, basically in reverse order, take photos for orientation of the hog rings

Bottom need batting(matting) original was missing, POS installer cut allot of corners, oh the joy:
PCA/POC

Old 01-10-2013, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
With Heat Pads

Start with the inserts first using hog rings center to outward, always check position, don't want to start over again :P

Pull over the corners as you compress the foam, work it in as straight as possible, don't worry about the wrinkles, that is what the steamer is for

and wait for it....................................the shopping bag trick:

Seat Heater Switches:
PCA/POC

Last edited by Eric at Pelican Parts; 01-02-2018 at 08:50 AM..
Old 01-10-2013, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage

PCA/POC

Old 01-10-2013, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage

See the bumps at the bottom, this is drive side without batting, I have since placed batting, no more bumps
PCA/POC

Old 01-10-2013, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Oh yeah, under $800 shipped :P

Knowing no short cuts were taken on installation and New Leather Smell, PRICELESS
PCA/POC

Last edited by DRACO A5OG; 01-11-2013 at 02:29 PM..
Old 01-10-2013, 07:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
wow thank you so much. I have been looking for such details to recover my seats.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
If you need an assist, pm me with pics and i will do my best to help
PCA/POC

Last edited by DRACO A5OG; 01-11-2013 at 02:32 PM..
Old 01-10-2013, 10:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Okay, finished editing, please forgive typos and grammar, enjoy
PCA/POC
Old 01-11-2013, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to brighton911
For sure, I'll be writing this one down in my book for future reference. Thanks for the outstanding job documenting this project. Really nice end result!
Old 01-11-2013, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I need to keep track of this...stunning details.
Warren Hall, gone but not forgotten
Old 01-11-2013, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Banned

Draco - super-great work. It will be nice to see how it holds up.

About how long did it take you?
Old 01-11-2013, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Smoove1010

Garage
Very generous of you to go to the time and trouble to photograph, document, and share this while in the middle of the project. Great job on the thread and the seats. Thank you. This is now on my list of my favorite subscribed how-to threads.

GK
Old 01-12-2013, 04:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
DRACO: for sure, big thanks for your time and effort in sharing (as always). I'm restoring my 89's interior (ALL of it) and have opted to let Heritage handle the task (I chickened out on auditioning for the upholsterer role)...BUT it's gonna cost 1 arm and 2 legs to go this chosen route.

Thanks, again, for all of your great contributions to our Group!

BEST!

Doyle
25th Anniversary Special Edition
Middle Georgia
Old 01-12-2013, 05:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilberUrS6 View Post
Draco - super-great work. It will be nice to see how it holds up.

About how long did it take you?
About 4-5 hours, I wanted to take it slow and triple check everything to be sure it won't be a Sharpe Style install, like one of our other brothers

Doyle, make sure they remove the rail to use all the spikes on the frame, POS installer skipped one spike that contributed to the skins getting loose, have them send you a pic of the rails removed to be sure since you are paying an arm and a leg.

It was actually fun for me and always a pleasure to payback the Brotherhood for all the assists on my issues.

J
PCA/POC
Old 01-12-2013, 08:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
winter

SOLID!

Very nice work and excellent write up.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: